[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

zheyan

Senior Member
Joined
May 25, 2001
Messages
772
Reaction score
0
Pls help me with these.. Thanks!

1) how to toggle/turn off the MAC OSX Lion startup sound? I do not wan to mute/turn off the system sound

2) put the default to untick the "reopen windows when logging back in" whenever i wan to shutdown/sleep my MBA

3) how to configure/sync my Gmail account (google email, contacts and also calendar) to my Mail, Address Book and iCal like how iPhone i can use the Microsoft Exchange to sync/push emails and updates to & fro?

4) My google calendar has a few calendars.. can i sync all on my iCal?

Anyone can help me pls? thanks in advance..
 

PsYkOoOoO

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
Pls help me with these.. Thanks!

1) how to toggle/turn off the MAC OSX Lion startup sound? I do not wan to mute/turn off the system sound

2) put the default to untick the "reopen windows when logging back in" whenever i wan to shutdown/sleep my MBA

3) how to configure/sync my Gmail account (google email, contacts and also calendar) to my Mail, Address Book and iCal like how iPhone i can use the Microsoft Exchange to sync/push emails and updates to & fro?

4) My google calendar has a few calendars.. can i sync all on my iCal?

1) You can't. You have to mute your Mac before shutting it off.

2) Go to System Preferences > General. You should find the box you are looking for.

3) If it is a normal Gmail account, it should be pretty easy. Go to System Preferences > Mail, Contacts & Calendars. You can set up your Mail account from there.

4) If I am not wrong, yes you can. However, I don't use iCal very often, so I can't tell you for sure.
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
Just to add on, for the startup sound it is possible to mute it in SL via a plugin. Unfortunately its not compatible with lion, you would have to wait for the developers to come up with a fix.
 

kennyg1969

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2000
Messages
5,935
Reaction score
0
Hi all, i erase away my startup disk on my new MBA.. when i tried to install back OSX Lion, it says that " This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer.

At the same time, i also tried to use my time machine backup made from my MB but it cannot restore the backup becos it was created by a different model of mac.. I also cannot find my startup disk .

any advise would be great
 
Last edited:

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
In Disk Utility under Partition, was the drive partitioned to use the GUID partition table?
 

kennyg1969

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2000
Messages
5,935
Reaction score
0
Not sure... I have a new problem. Upon using command r, I have this error code -44033f which stop me me from entering the ulities menu...haiz
 

aeng

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,512
Reaction score
44
About to query about the battery for a mbp till i saw this vid.

so when u r at the desk, just leave it plugged in day and night 24/7?

What if the mbp is a replacement desktop? then it will always be plugged in right.

bro, you r doing exactly what the guy in the vid is telling u not to, stressing out over the battery.

it's doesn't matter... just plug in whenever convenient for u, or don't plug in, whatever... it really doesn't matter that much at all.
 

axiong

Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Messages
257
Reaction score
5
my macbook air 11" is dead... !?

when i power on, it has 2 beep sound then follow by 3 beeps sound constantly. what could be the problem?

and, where else can i send for repair? my macbook air has no warranty from apple already.


thanks.
 

jchongll

Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
my macbook pro suddenly cant detect the airport card! It said airport card not installed...

anyone experienced this? what should i do? bring in to apple service centre? Its not under warranty liao... :s11:
 

kennyg1969

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2000
Messages
5,935
Reaction score
0
I managed to boot into the disk utility and yes my drive is partition with GUID table


Called Apple support this morning. They advised me to side load the Lion via an external HD. Going to try it tonight to see if i can get back my Lion on my MBA
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
Right click in your current directory, there should be a 'show view options' option, it is the last option in the popup menu.. From there you can set Finder to always open in icon view or list or etc mode.
 

techrike

Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
385
Reaction score
0
hi bro, would like to check after installing the updates, will they still stay on the mac harddisk?
 

guynextdoor80

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
2,288
Reaction score
0
Guys, I just got a new MBA. I read the OS X Lion can customize different desktops. What does it mean?

I know I can create more desktops but I can't seems to customize what applications is in the dock of the individual desktop? The only thing I can change is the wallpaper for each desktop.

E.g. If I want to have only games and other entertainment apps in the dock of my 2nd Desktop. Can I do that?
 
Last edited:

PsYkOoOoO

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
Guys, I just got a new MBA. I read the OS X Lion can customize different desktops. What does it mean?

I know I can create more desktops but I can't seems to customize what applications is in the dock of the individual desktop? The only thing I can change is the wallpaper for each desktop.

E.g. If I want to have only games and other entertainment apps in the dock of my 2nd Desktop. Can I do that?

Not natively, but you can certainly download this:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27841/dock-spaces

I'm not sure if it works with LION though.
 

axiong

Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Messages
257
Reaction score
5
my macbook air 11" is dead... !?

when i power on, it has 2 beep sound then follow by 3 beeps sound constantly. what could be the problem?

and, where else can i send for repair? my macbook air has no warranty from apple already.


thanks.



anyone?? :s11:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top