[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

AyuReady

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Messages
6,811
Reaction score
3
BTO from authorised resellers takes a long time, they all told me at least 2 weeks to get it done, i tried a few shops, cos i wanted to get the credit card rebates...
in the end, i ordered online, it took only 4 days to get it delivered
i ordered the 1TB storage with fusion drive; + additional 2 x 8GB ram

Bro thanks a lot for advice. My budget is around 3k.

Will either get the lower 27 inch and upgrade ram to 16 gig and fusion drive

Or

The higher spec 27 inch and gst fushion drive.

Inclined to get the higher one as my own sense is I can upgrade ram when I have more money and just make do first with 8 gig but I have no way to upgrade the video card .

Headache. Buying a mac is always a beautiful headache session haha
 

havetobuy

Banned
Joined
Dec 28, 2011
Messages
1,488
Reaction score
0
Hi guys. I've just bought a Macbook Pro with OS Mountain Lion. Previously using Windows notebook. Most of my stuff are on external WD hard drive formatted to NTFS. Is it safe to continue using the hard drive on my mac?

If not what should I do? Almost 1 TB worth of important photography work. Appreciate all help.

Ask this because I remember the last time, an external hard drive I used on windows, then I attach on a mac, become corrupted and reformatted itself.

remember to install paragon ntfs for mac
voila all your fotos r safe
 

jctj90

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
I'd like to thank B772ER, davidktw and mod PetPet for helping me out with my MBP issue. After some negotiation, Apple will be replacing the logic board for me free of charge. If not it costs $1k to replace :s22:
 

B772ER

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
403
Reaction score
0
I'd like to thank B772ER, davidktw and mod PetPet for helping me out with my MBP issue. After some negotiation, Apple will be replacing the logic board for me free of charge. If not it costs $1k to replace :s22:

No worries. Did you call up AppleCare to get the repair organised?
 

jctj90

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
No worries. Did you call up AppleCare to get the repair organised?

Yeah they had the case escalated to Applecare. Managed to speak with an extremely helpful applecare rep who managed to make an exception to waive off all costs, especially since my mbp is >3 years old.
 

Laneige

Honorary Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
115,112
Reaction score
16,771
Yeah they had the case escalated to Applecare. Managed to speak with an extremely helpful applecare rep who managed to make an exception to waive off all costs, especially since my mbp is >3 years old.

can say heng until LS or not? lol

RAM for imac 27" ok to upgrade. wont void warranty. as long as the item is there for additional slot in, it will not void warranty. my last time imac also have new ram added to it and they came down service never said anything. ram also "original" coz from mac laptop :D

currently my mac ram i bought from Harvey Norman. good to buy from them. esp with amex card x 10 points
 
Last edited:

fuzzybear

Master Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2000
Messages
2,775
Reaction score
0
looking for a NAS link to asusac66 with mac & pc

any recommedations?


thx
i know fat32 mac can read but got a limit of 4gb
so i wonder if get a nAs with ethernet link to my asus ethernet i can still use exfat and also HFS+ format
 

Gevancksya

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Bro thanks a lot for advice. My budget is around 3k.

Will either get the lower 27 inch and upgrade ram to 16 gig and fusion drive

Or

The higher spec 27 inch and gst fushion drive.

Inclined to get the higher one as my own sense is I can upgrade ram when I have more money and just make do first with 8 gig but I have no way to upgrade the video card .

Headache. Buying a mac is always a beautiful headache session haha

Hey, I have the 27-inch with fusion drive. Absolutely understand your situation..I had the same headache before buying mine. But honestly, I did not even regregt my decision for one second. Btw I found mine ona price comparison site
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,225
Reaction score
320
Bro thanks a lot for advice. My budget is around 3k.

Will either get the lower 27 inch and upgrade ram to 16 gig and fusion drive

Or

The higher spec 27 inch and gst fushion drive.

Inclined to get the higher one as my own sense is I can upgrade ram when I have more money and just make do first with 8 gig but I have no way to upgrade the video card .

Headache. Buying a mac is always a beautiful headache session haha
You're not going to change your iMac every year.
My advice?
Invest in a high end one that's going to last you for the next 3-5 years.
 

sakratulmauts

Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
394
Reaction score
0
Hi all
I have 2008 macbook white in need to change the whole casing due to lines !!! Keyboard chip off the edges possible all to new
Another is can the keyboard change to lighted type ?
Casing to change to black ?
 

Sherab

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Boot to grey screen ...

Hi,

I did a forum search to my question but no result. Did a Google search and I tried all the methods but the issue persist.

My early 2011 MBP boot to a grey screen and that's it, at times it boot to a blue stripe screen (those 16bit blue colour).

Checked with some repair they said the board needs to be replace (they mentioned that it is costly, they didn't quote but suggest I bring the MBP over), which, according to them, it is better to get a new Mac.

Can i hear your experience and opinion? Will reparing solve the problem?

Strange thing is: I can boot from DVD-ROM into OpenSuSE.

Thanks ...
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,481
Reaction score
3,159
Hi,

I did a forum search to my question but no result. Did a Google search and I tried all the methods but the issue persist.

My early 2011 MBP boot to a grey screen and that's it, at times it boot to a blue stripe screen (those 16bit blue colour).

Checked with some repair they said the board needs to be replace (they mentioned that it is costly, they didn't quote but suggest I bring the MBP over), which, according to them, it is better to get a new Mac.

Can i hear your experience and opinion? Will reparing solve the problem?

Strange thing is: I can boot from DVD-ROM into OpenSuSE.

Thanks ...

did u try e usual combo of reset permissions/smc/pram?
 

Sherab

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Linux should be able to mount hfsplus volumes for reading. which distro did u try?
hfs+ module is included in the Linux kernel, I can see and mount the partition but for some reason can't read it (can't see error in logs as well). Tried Ubuntu, OpenSuSE and Fedora. No luck. I can't turn off journaling since i can't even log-in to OS-X.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,481
Reaction score
3,159
hfs+ module is included in the Linux kernel, I can see and mount the partition but for some reason can't read it (can't see error in logs as well). Tried Ubuntu, OpenSuSE and Fedora. No luck. I can't turn off journaling since i can't even log-in to OS-X.

did u specify e filesystem explicitly by using -t ?
 

weird

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
0
harlo Mac Warriors

I have some questions to ask

1. The new OS is free upgrade but I'm using ver 10.5.8 how to upgrade since i dont have an "App Store" for this OS. My current macbook is 4years old wor. WIll it be slow after upgrade?

2. With regards to the latest 13-inch: 2.4GHz with Retina display. I noticed that only the highest end of the 13" is able to upgrade the HDD storage from 512 to 1TB options. But the first 2 basic version (fixed at 128GB and 256GB) cannot wor. My question is am I able to do the HDD upgrade on my own in future when the HDD price come down?

3. RAM question: 8MB ok or going for 16MB? I'm mainly normal user and do some Photoshop as well as video for wedding at times only

4. In terms of Processor which one is better performance?
4.1 MacBook Pro 13-inch without Retina display 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz [Add S$ 210.00]
4.2 MacBook Pro 13-inch with Retina display 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz [Add S$ 420.00]
--> one is 4th gen the other is higher processor speed

5. Qua-core Intel (15" model) is alot faster than Dual-core (13" model)?

Thank in advance! =)
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
harlo Mac Warriors

I have some questions to ask

1. The new OS is free upgrade but I'm using ver 10.5.8 how to upgrade since i dont have an "App Store" for this OS. My current macbook is 4years old wor. WIll it be slow after upgrade?

The official answer is approach the Apple Store fellas and have them help you on this. This article will answer some of your questions How to install Mavericks over Leopard | Macworld

2. With regards to the latest 13-inch: 2.4GHz with Retina display. I noticed that only the highest end of the 13" is able to upgrade the HDD storage from 512 to 1TB options. But the first 2 basic version (fixed at 128GB and 256GB) cannot wor. My question is am I able to do the HDD upgrade on my own in future when the HDD price come down?

The answer is most likely NO, unless the PCI-E board of the SSD storage is removable. Wouldn't know until someone start dissembling the latest MBP series. You are encouraged to get the SSD size as you anticipated to be adequate for your daily needs. If you need more, offload to an external USB3.0 drive or a NAS

3. RAM question: 8MB ok or going for 16MB? I'm mainly normal user and do some Photoshop as well as video for wedding at times only

8MB or 16MB will not serve your needs. 8GB or 16GB will be more reasonable :)
Basically 8GB can carry you far. 16GB is a tad too much for most consumer, however, if you can afford it, why not. I'm using a 17" 2009 MBP series and is on 8GB and have been doing numerous photo editing tasks on both CS5 and Lightroom 5. Memory is often not the reason why you get slow down at 4GB and above. It's often your disk and your computing power if you feel slow in some filter stuffs.

For video editing, memory will be your biggest issue, computing power is. If you can afford a Mac Pro, go ahead. If not, live with lower expectation and don't edit a 4K video.

4. In terms of Processor which one is better performance?
4.1 MacBook Pro 13-inch without Retina display 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz [Add S$ 210.00]
4.2 MacBook Pro 13-inch with Retina display 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz [Add S$ 420.00]
--> one is 4th gen the other is higher processor speed

5. Qua-core Intel (15" model) is alot faster than Dual-core (13" model)?

Thank in advance! =)

Certainly for the kind of tasks you have in place, Retina display will give you more screen assets for editing. Between 2.8 and 2.9Ghz, doesn't make much of a difference. Turbo boost will most likely not kick in if you are already using multicores intensively by your application.

Quad-core will be faster if your application uses all the cores, which you will most likely be using for video and photo editing.
 

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2000
Messages
66,438
Reaction score
2
zzz annoying issue with the app store. I can't update iMovie, it downloads it but just can't install it... annoying
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top