[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

OvrDrive

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2016
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hello!

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011), and I am starting to get annoyed at how I sometimes experience really bad slow downs. Any tips on how to make this thing go even a little bit faster?

My unit comes with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, and an 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 processor with a 500GB HD.

Thank you :)
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,168
Hello!

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011), and I am starting to get annoyed at how I sometimes experience really bad slow downs. Any tips on how to make this thing go even a little bit faster?

My unit comes with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, and an 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 processor with a 500GB HD.

Thank you :)

upgrade that is easiest n has e most impact is change e hdd to a ssd...
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,168
I see, which SSD? I think you need a specific one right? Just like for upgrading RAM?

yrs is already on Intel core-i series so pretty much all current SSDs on e market should b fine...
 

OvrDrive

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2016
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Ok thank you :)

Would it be best to upgrade RAM as well? I think for that part it's a little more complicated?
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,168
Ok thank you :)

Would it be best to upgrade RAM as well? I think for that part it's a little more complicated?

RAM is more specific. u need make sure e specs match according to e MacBook model. good to have but most impact is definitely SSD...
 

victorp

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Ok thank you :)
Would it be best to upgrade RAM as well? I think for that part it's a little more complicated?
If you have momentarily slowdown on your machine, then upgrading RAM to at least 8GB is the first step to go. Go for it before upgrading to SSD.
 

firezero10

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
27,743
Reaction score
236
For Applecare, is it possible to buy it like almost one year after purchase of an apple product and also at student pricing separately?
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
For Applecare, is it possible to buy it like almost one year after purchase of an apple product and also at student pricing separately?

yes you may, provided the free warranty for the device has yet to expire. i had also done so. but do note that every purchase that utilises the student privilege must ensure that you have a valid student credential. if not, your apple account will be blacklisted for life and they will charge you the remaining price difference.

in my 4 years in school, i bought a macbook pro at apple store and before the warranty expires, i bought an apple care at student pricing too.
 

firezero10

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
27,743
Reaction score
236
yes you may, provided the free warranty for the device has yet to expire. i had also done so. but do note that every purchase that utilises the student privilege must ensure that you have a valid student credential. if not, your apple account will be blacklisted for life and they will charge you the remaining price difference.

in my 4 years in school, i bought a macbook pro at apple store and before the warranty expires, i bought an apple care at student pricing too.

I am matriculating this month and have my NTU email and student account already. Lack a student id card though. :s22:

Wanted to get a 256 GB MBP 13 now but if I were to get the Applecare also, it would go over my budget so I am thinking of extending the warranty maybe 10 months later. Ya, I saw that I could purchase Applecare at student price separately(need to dig into their site to find it lol). Thanks!!

My school probably sells a little cheaper but I don't think they come with the Beats Solo 2 Wireless Apple store is giving right now. :s13::s13:
 

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
12,765
Reaction score
1,590
Is it worth it to get the non retina 2012 MBP and DIY upgrade the ram to 8gb n swop the hdd to ssd? Save $$ as compared to getting the retina mbp?
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
Is it worth it to get the non retina 2012 MBP and DIY upgrade the ram to 8gb n swop the hdd to ssd? Save $$ as compared to getting the retina mbp?

My 2009 MBP 17" has been serving me for 6+years. It is having 8GB and running on a Samsung Evo SSD. But eventually it will be obsolete to the latest MBP which I am waiting for Apple to launch and I will eventually retire mine. So worth is quite a subject matter, only you know best and you compare it against your own financial arrangement
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
I am matriculating this month and have my NTU email and student account already. Lack a student id card though. :s22:

Wanted to get a 256 GB MBP 13 now but if I were to get the Applecare also, it would go over my budget so I am thinking of extending the warranty maybe 10 months later. Ya, I saw that I could purchase Applecare at student price separately(need to dig into their site to find it lol). Thanks!!

My school probably sells a little cheaper but I don't think they come with the Beats Solo 2 Wireless Apple store is giving right now. :s13::s13:

Then you are well.eligible to buy it now. Their random audit will not happen in hours or days, it's a matter of weeks and all they do is to ask.u for your matric card. By then u confirm have the card already..
 

asdf123456

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
hi, if i bought a 2nd hand brand new macbook without receipt, will the warranty be activated on the first boot? or is there any other date in which the warranty will start?
 

Dexter71

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2000
Messages
524
Reaction score
2
Guys

My macmini has windows boot camp but recently the wireless apple keyboard fails to work now but trackpad works. I have reinstalled the boot camp win drivers but still no luck in this.

Anyone has any other suggestions on this pls besides using a non-apple KB.

Thx
 

247478463

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2016
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Macbook Pro help

Hello, my MBP (Mid 2009, 13", no warranty) keeps randomly restarting. Sometimes it would restart normally, but sometimes it would also hang on the grey screen/ remains at the black screen and beep once every 5 seconds (indication that there's no RAM installed). I am not sure why it restarts as it has restarted when no programmes are running (i.e. desktop screen), when I'm checking my email, when working on a Word doc, and when I'm playing a game.

The MBP worked normally until the first time it randomly restarted (about 2 weeks ago). I have tried resetting the SMC and PRAM several times, but the problem remains. Does anyone know how I can fix it?
 

MrMundy

Master Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2012
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
26
just replaced the thermal paste to mx-4 in my MBP late 2011 15", temperature no difference:s13::s13: putting back the microphone damn annoying
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top