[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

carfan

Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2007
Messages
250
Reaction score
0
Yes is running on SATA 3 but i have installed SSD Drive* to it and have it setup as the startup disk.
*Cloned all the files from SATA to SSD

I hope it will not lag if i upgrade to macOS Sierra.

iMac Storage by Christopher Yeo

Just go ahead.
I hardly notice any differences esp with SSD installed.
SATA3 (R/W in 500MB/s) and PCIE SSD (R/W in thousands) differs greatly only in sequential R/W. Day to day use e.g. boot up, app launch has no noticeable differences.
 

m-ghost

Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2017
Messages
191
Reaction score
1
Just checking, so many APPLE repair shops out there, which ones can recommend me?

X-planet ?

MACInfinity?

Or others??
 

metavolta

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
1,655
Reaction score
1
Does anyone know whether LG Ultrafine 4K charges the MacBook Pro 15 with touch bar?


HKMY2
 

tec_geek

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
2,143
Reaction score
76
Does anyone know whether LG Ultrafine 4K charges the MacBook Pro 15 with touch bar?


HKMY2

Yes. It charges the MacBook Pro 15 inch. Although it is only charging at 60W and the 15 inch needs 85W, it isn’t that much of an issue.

Unless you are gonna do some heavy tasks like video editing or photoshop, then it may not charge, or worse, use the battery instead.

Other than that, it is perfectly fine, just that it charges slower which was alright for me.
 

metavolta

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
1,655
Reaction score
1
Yes. It charges the MacBook Pro 15 inch. Although it is only charging at 60W and the 15 inch needs 85W, it isn’t that much of an issue.

Unless you are gonna do some heavy tasks like video editing or photoshop, then it may not charge, or worse, use the battery instead.

Other than that, it is perfectly fine, just that it charges slower which was alright for me.

Thanks... :)

But it is weird that it does not charge the device when performing heavy duty activity

I ever tried using the normal iPhone charger which shows charging yet draining at the same time ... Sighs

The 5K and 4K price differences is very significant

HKMY2
 
Last edited:

tec_geek

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
2,143
Reaction score
76
Thanks... :)

But it is weird that it does not charge the device when performing heavy duty activity

I ever tried using the normal iPhone charger which shows charging yet draining at the same time ... Sighs

The 5K and 4K price differences is very significant

HKMY2

Yeap. I guess it needs to draw quite an amount of power. The 60W should do just fine without heavy tasks. You can always plug in to the wall if you’re gonna do heavy tasks.

But I have seen reviews and videos that even the 5K display powers only 60W and the USB-Cs at the back delivery USB3.0 speeds where the 4K display, delivering only USB2.0 speeds.

I’ve gotten the 4K display on eBay. Though not the best idea but a cheaper way and unfortunately doesn’t come with warranty.
 

metavolta

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
1,655
Reaction score
1
Yeap. I guess it needs to draw quite an amount of power. The 60W should do just fine without heavy tasks. You can always plug in to the wall if you’re gonna do heavy tasks.

But I have seen reviews and videos that even the 5K display powers only 60W and the USB-Cs at the back delivery USB3.0 speeds where the 4K display, delivering only USB2.0 speeds.

I’ve gotten the 4K display on eBay. Though not the best idea but a cheaper way and unfortunately doesn’t come with warranty.

THat kinda defeats the purpose of getting the monitor lol

The beautiful promise of "1 screen to rule them all" is not valid anymore
... hahaha

Btw how much did you get on eBay?
 

tec_geek

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
2,143
Reaction score
76

Transcendent

Master Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
2,760
Reaction score
386
My old 2010 aus rog gaming laptop going to up lorry soon. And I am thinking of getting the 21.5 inch iMac as a replacement. Should I get it now or wait till next refresh? Any advice.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top