[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

hyper_megaman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As i am well aware of this. Need to improve coverage. Ac86u-rt is the besf candiadate but its so expensive. :(
AC87u is unreliable

after long periods of uptime it starts going wonky. this thread has lots of complaints. you have to do heaps of maintenance like full power off for a few minutes to restart every few weeks.

they tried to squeeze too much into 1 router and they didn't do it well i think.

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AC87u is unreliable

after long periods of uptime it starts going wonky. this thread has lots of complaints. you have to do heaps of maintenance like full power off for a few minutes to restart every few weeks.

they tried to squeeze too much into 1 router and they didn't do it well i think.

Just bought one from caraohell. 50 nia. I will run using laptop cooler. Will using Merlin Firmware and schedule daily restart.

Need to dump all my non AC Routers now. :(

hyper_megaman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought one from caraohell. 50 nia. I will run using laptop cooler. Will using Merlin Firmware and schedule daily restart.

Need to dump all my non AC Routers now. :(
soft restarts don't seem to work.

go back a few pages, there's lots of complaints about this model. mine is on stock firmware though, so not sure if merlin will erproduce the same problems.

what i have to do is unplug it entirely and leave it for a few minutes then turn it back on. soft restarts did not help at all, only made the router wonky when it started back up.

if you get this same problem with yours, a scheduled daily soft restart probably won't abate the problem. let's see if merlin works better.

-Grift-

Reaction score
Been running mine on Merlin for few years le no issue although I have a habit of daily power cycles

hyper_megaman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OK i'm now on merlin. last ditch effort before i dump this router in favour of my 2x free RT AC1200G+ in mesh mode.

it went wonky again this morning. turn off for 2 minutes before starting again, still wasn't enough. turned it off again before i left for cny visiting, only turned it back on when i came back.

Any of you on merlin experiencing the same issues as i was on stock?

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OK i'm now on merlin. last ditch effort before i dump this router in favour of my 2x free RT AC1200G+ in mesh mode.

it went wonky again this morning. turn off for 2 minutes before starting again, still wasn't enough. turned it off again before i left for cny visiting, only turned it back on when i came back.

Any of you on merlin experiencing the same issues as i was on stock?

1200GT can do mesh meh? :s11:

hyper_megaman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey all of u guys on merlin with your new AC87Us, can you share your operating temps?

mine seems quite high, and my AC87U is still wonky as of today. thinking they could be linked.

hyper_megaman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My current temps:

2.4GHz - 47 °C

5GHz - 62 °C

CPU - 77 °C

My 5GHz radio is wonky. i switched to 2.4GHz and it's working beautifully.

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok it's heat related. It's wall mounted, how come it's overheating so easily
Unless u are willing to cut the case of the router and install a 80mm fan underneath it. BTW mine is overheating frequently as well.

Sent from Old Man Pressing On For Retirement using GAGT

ruffruff

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey bros, can you share with me the links for the latest Merlin firmware for the AC87u? It seems that Asus had forgotten about this router and there are no updates...

ruffruff

Master Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.