Microsoft Surface

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
They will sent another GST invoice after the package has arrived, it will be around 80-90 at 7%, so I might end up paying 1300.
Not too bad still, an ultrabook with this specs would have been around 1500-1800 in our local retailer.

SG$1400 is a far more realistic figure.

US$999 * 1.25 (optimistic exchange rate) * 1.07 (GST) = $1336, and I haven't even added in shipping yet, which will also be subject to GST.

EDIT: Actually the "local retailer" is giving pretty good prices. For the Surface RT at least, at US$599 with the touch cover, that amounts to a minimum of 599*1.25*1.07 = $801, but you can get it for $798 at Expansys.

They, of course, don't have the Surface Pro yet, so the main advantage is that you'll be able to get it before anyone else if you order from overseas.

Last edited:

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
How you paid? I ordered 3 times with 3 different cards and all 3 times they cancelled my order after 1-2 hrs without giving reasons. Now sold out :(

Using an American Express card seems to be the best bet. Local cards have... issues.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
How you paid? I ordered 3 times with 3 different cards and all 3 times they cancelled my order after 1-2 hrs without giving reasons. Now sold out :(

Put your real address for billing, but the country as US since you cant change.
After that contact the staff from MS store, tell them your situation.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
SG$1400 is a far more realistic figure.

US$999 * 1.25 (optimistic exchange rate) * 1.07 (GST) = $1336, and I haven't even added in shipping yet, which will also be subject to GST.

EDIT: Actually the "local retailer" is giving pretty good prices. For the Surface RT at least, at US$599 with the touch cover, that amounts to a minimum of 599*1.25*1.07 = $801, but you can get it for $798 at Expansys.

They, of course, don't have the Surface Pro yet, so the main advantage is that you'll be able to get it before anyone else if you order from overseas.

For Expansys, that is excluding GST. I have ordered my RT there as 800, but I end up paying close to 900 after GST and 40 for FedEx priority.
I mean local retail store and not online.

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
For Expansys, that is excluding GST. I have ordered my RT there as 800, but I end up paying close to 900 after GST and 40 for FedEx priority.

Interesting. There are local retail stores that are selling or will sell the Surface RT / Pro?

You're right about the GST exclusive part though - that would make the prices considerably less attractive.

Lumizi

Reaction score

where is their local store?

lexmarq

Reaction score
Sigh, this happened to my surface RT today.

WP_20130212_001.jpg

Warranty is too troublesome as this is an US imported set. I guess I just have to use super glue to glue the magnet back in place. Apparently, the magnet is kept in place using adhesive in the first place, which really makes me wonder about the durability.

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm guys if i buy from microsoft us web will there be any warranty in singapore

Chiron

Reaction score
From all the reviews, seems that the battery life cant get past 4hrs. Battery life impt to me, looking at min 5hrs. So probably will wait and see the performance of new Intel Haswell, which means not getting it before Q3 this year.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
From all the reviews, seems that the battery life cant get past 4hrs. Battery life impt to me, looking at min 5hrs. So probably will wait and see the performance of new Intel Haswell, which means not getting it before Q3 this year.
Haswell will buy maybe 1 extra hour of battery.

The better way is to limit CPU speed to 50% which will give you more juice. Or do what I'm going to do, buy the Lenovo Thinkpad 2. That'll give you 8-10 hours.

Chiron

Reaction score
Thanks, but looking for higher performance, which in the real world, does not exist for want speed want performance haha. Looking to get a nexus 7 instead nw to use for a year while simultanteously depend on my dependable viao z older model (great laptop).

mocax

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
what's the official date for surface pro in Singapore? :s11:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but looking for higher performance, which in the real world, does not exist for want speed want performance haha. Looking to get a nexus 7 instead nw to use for a year while simultanteously depend on my dependable viao z older model (great laptop).
If MS comes out with a cover with battery, yes maybe. The best compromise is actually a Core i3. Not enuff for gaming but enuff for coding.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
This is a ultrabook

Do not treat it as a tablet
Well it's a tabook or ultratab or something. Actually, historically, this is called a Slate. Like the Fujitsu Slate.

I've always wanted one but there're just too many compromises that I stuck to a TabletPC.

I hope Surface Pro 2 will come with Haswell Core i3, NFC & 4G options like the Lenovo Thinkpad. The Haswell will have a much more powerful GPU as well compared to HD4000.

CherylW

Reaction score
Is it better to get the Type cover or the Touch cover?

Will the Touch be too 'soft' given its capacitive function, don't know if its better or can get used without a physical letter keys pad.

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
Is it better to get the Type cover or the Touch cover?

Will the Touch be too 'soft' given its capacitive function, don't know if its better or can get used without a physical letter keys pad.

Type type type type type type type....

Well I own the touch cover and I find it ... difficult to use for rapid typing. You can get used to it, but the lack of a tactile response makes it feel odd, especially when there is a certain pressure threshold before a keypress registers, unlike when typing on a capacitive screen.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haswell will buy maybe 1 extra hour of battery.

The better way is to limit CPU speed to 50% which will give you more juice. Or do what I'm going to do, buy the Lenovo Thinkpad 2. That'll give you 8-10 hours.

Interesting isn't it... the Surface Pro and the Thinkpad 2 are full fledged tablets but the Thinkpad has double the battery life... they run the same OS... so what's the difference?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.