MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

gaolatjialat

Reaction score
Hi there, I am interested in GoCoax as well, could you share your experience with this product preformance? Another critical thing is that since it is an American product, does the power supply suit Singapore voltage?

Thank you very much!
Great experience with this product so far as the speed is similar to if it was connected through ethernet cable ( There will be a +3 to 5ms increase in ping if connected to Moca), although it is an American product but they do provide the G plug adapter (You will have to include this request under 'Note for seller' when ordering) which is suitable for use in UK and Singapore hence the power supply suit Singapore voltage

Cookie Muncher

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this setup possible?
  • ONT -> Wireless Router -> MoCA 1 -> Cable point @ living room
  • Cable point @ bedroom -> MoCA 2 -> Another Wireless Router

Another question is how do i know if the cable points are working? It was installed many years back by some electrician, not sure how the points were installed or linked. Very scare to buy 2 gocoax then it cannot work :(

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this setup possible?

Another question is how do i know if the cable points are working? It was installed many years back by some electrician, not sure how the points were installed or linked. Very scare to buy 2 gocoax then it cannot work :(
IMHO.
2nd MoCA can connect to an access point.
You can look at those that plug into the wall socket like TPLINK RE450.

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
Is this setup possible?

Yes it's possible and I'm having the same setup. Do note that the wireless router in your bedroom need to be in AP mode.

Nope, I have no way to tell whether my cable is working or not till I got my MoCA. It's about S$200 risk for a pair of MoCA.

Cookie Muncher

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes it's possible and I'm having the same setup. Do note that the wireless router in your bedroom need to be in AP mode.

Nope, I have no way to tell whether my cable is working or not till I got my MoCA. It's about S$200 risk for a pair of MoCA.
Thanks. Pardon me I'm a noob. AP is access point? How does this differs from the normal wireless router functionality?

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Pardon me I'm a noob. AP is access point? How does this differs from the normal wireless router functionality?
Yes, AP = Access point. Basically it's disabling the routing function of a router. Since you already have a router at living room, you wouldn't want another routing at your bedroom resulting in double NAT.

Anyway, when you install a router, by default it's in router mode. Just select AP mode in the setup page and you are done.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

From the internet.
A wireless router is a device that performs the functions of a router and also includes the functions of a wireless access point.

Another Access Point just provides the wireless functionality which is why you need to connect to a wireless router.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been reading this with great interest and was tempted to start a new project for home networking. However, I was wondering, for newer flats built after the death of cable tv, are these coaxial points still being installed?

I ask because I'm definitely going to shift at some point in the future and possibly to a new BTO. Wonder if anyone living in the newer estates can shed some light on their cabling.
new flat all using data point

we no choice old flat thats why need moca2.5 whenlaying cable is not an option

so far so good still :)

tks

Reaction score
What is the max speed that can be achieved in real life using this MOCA technology? I was using EOC for my StarHub TV. Very unreliable. Gave up.

tks

Reaction score
From the internet.
A wireless router is a device that performs the functions of a router and also includes the functions of a wireless access point.

Another Access Point just provides the wireless functionality which is why you need to connect to a wireless router.
Most important distinction is that router routes traffic i.e. issues IP addresses, while access points do not. Access points are normally in "bridge" mode. Access points can be connected by wire or wirelessly to a router. If connected wirelessly to the router, the access point is normally called a WiFi Extender.

whanafi

Reaction score
What is the max speed that can be achieved in real life using this MOCA technology? I was using EOC for my StarHub TV. Very unreliable. Gave up.
I am getting the same speed across my MOCA connections as the router sees connected to the ONT. MOCA saved me from having to move flats when Starhub abandoned cable internet. I live in a old building with thick concrete walls. Wifi is not an option, nor can I pull new Ethernet cables, so it was MOCA or move. I have added the 2.5 version units to existing 1Gig boxes and it works flawlessly.

Tyer

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the nice information here. I had been reading from the first post.
Was about to order the Gocoax models, then I saw this at Amazon.

Anyone tried the below model already?

https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B092ZXM4JR?tag=track-ect-sg-23496-22&linkCode=osi&th=1

Translite MoCA 2.5 Network Adapter with bult-in WiFi | Wireless Ethernet Over Coaxial Adapter with 4 Ethernet Ports | 1x GE + 3X FE Ethernet Ports | Dual Band Wi-Fi | Model: TL-MC84-W​

Looks promising with the built in wifi.

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the nice information here. I had been reading from the first post.

Translite MoCA 2.5 Network Adapter with bult-in WiFi | Wireless Ethernet Over Coaxial Adapter with 4 Ethernet Ports | 1x GE + 3X FE Ethernet Ports | Dual Band Wi-Fi | Model: TL-MC84-W​

In term of neatness, the product can fulfilled that by combining both a MoCA adapter with a wireless AP. So a single AC plug is utilized with a single device.

However, I see some disadvantages in doing so (vary from use case to use case):
  • The device seems to be a wireless AP with no routing function (meaning no WAN port). *I maybe wrong over here* Meaning you still need a router somewhere.
  • No Wifi-6 support or any future upgrade unless you decouple the device (e.g. use it as only a MoCA adapter and plug in an external upgraded wireless AP)
  • No Mesh support (if you need to extend your wireless coverage with MoCA acting as an ethernet backhaul)
  • How often do they (assuming they do) in releasing FW update like consumer friendly brands for their device is another question.
Just a personal opinion and the price of it seems low risk.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

In a typical flat home network setup, you should only have one router anyway. A router behind a router will result in dual-(or more-)NAT, not an ideal setup as it breaks applications. Every other wireless device behind the router should be in Access Point/bridge mode.

For the next 3 years, I don't see the lack of Wifi6 as a problem - all your devices need to be on Wifi 6 to have any meaningful improvements. The presence of any AC and below devices will mean that all optimisations for Wifi6 are negated. This means all laptops, phones, tablets, IoT, etc... Besides, 802.11ax is about efficiency and not speed: the real speed improvements come with the move to 6Ghz, Wifi 6E and not Wifi 6.

The main consideration would be handover as you roam between APs - whether the TL-MC84-W supports roaming profiles, especially 802.11r/k/v for seamless handover in between APs as you move about. If you don't really move while on wifi, then it's a nonissue.

You still have the gigabit ethernet port to connect future APs if you wish to retain the MoCA adaptor, so it's a decent investment imo. I would go with it myself.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In term of neatness, the product can fulfilled that by combining both a MoCA adapter with a wireless AP. So a single AC plug is utilized with a single device.

Just wondering how this TL-MC84-W works with the wireless because they sell it in a single unit, not a pair, which means both side got the wireless function, which is a bit strange. For those Power line wireless kit, one side will not have wireless and only the other side has wireless function.

I am not so sure if this brand Translite is good or not. But they seem to have pretty cost effective solutions which I myself are kind of interested (no need wireless for me).

The following one TL-MC85 seems to be a safer bet without wireless function, with one 2.5G port and one gigabit port, at S$93.42.
https://www.amazon.sg/Translite-MoCA-2-5-Ethernet-Ports/dp/B08XWCZMZZ
The following one TL-MC84 is even cheaper but need to ship from Amazon US, US$110 a pair with two gigabit Ethernet ports.
https://www.amazon.com/MoCA-2-5-Gigabit-Ethernet-Ports/dp/B07Z3SB1HH

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how this TL-MC84-W works with the wireless because they sell it in a single unit, not a pair, which means both side got the wireless function, which is a bit strange. For those Power line wireless kit, one side will not have wireless and only the other side has wireless function.

I am not so sure if this brand Translite is good or not. But they seem to have pretty cost effective solutions which I myself are kind of interested (no need wireless for me).

The following one TL-MC85 seems to be a safer bet without wireless function, with one 2.5G port and one gigabit port, at S$93.42.
https://www.amazon.sg/Translite-MoCA-2-5-Ethernet-Ports/dp/B08XWCZMZZ
The following one TL-MC84 is even cheaper but need to ship from Amazon US, US$110 a pair with two gigabit Ethernet ports.
https://www.amazon.com/MoCA-2-5-Gigabit-Ethernet-Ports/dp/B07Z3SB1HH

Since it's based on MoCA it should be able to mix and match with other brand based on MoCA specs.

For example:

ONT -> Router -> GoCoax MoCA -> TL-MC84-W (With wireless AP and 4-ports build in).

Instead of MoCA from GoCoax, you can pair with TL-MC84 (without wireless AP). So it should be rather flexible for pairing.

Tyer

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. All clear. I am now trying to get those 100mbps adaptor to test my 2 points first.
If all works well, I will definitely look at the MOCA adaptors going at 1GB mbps.
I might be buying Gocoax then if I am getting MOCA adaptors. Did you all buy directly from their website and how long did it take to reach Singapore?

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For reference: Recent MBR MoCa Upgrade from Powerline Adaptor:

At DB:
7do7GFV.jpg

DB setup: Green arrow (data in), Red arrow (data out). Disconnected the main coming in and install the 75ohm termination caps (on unused ports) to reduce noise:
lwmhwSx.jpg

At MBR TV console:
GIKGWr6.jpg

Speedtest on 1G fiber:
vBHcEMz.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.