MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

Malicious

Reaction score
I need a little help here, outside my house (HDB) in the riser there's a SCV box which is individual isolator rated (5-1000mhz) 1.1 way (no splitter).

In the house there's a SCV box in it is splitter that rated (5-1000mhz) split 2 way (beside splitter is another isolator) .

What do i need to change to fully utilize goCoax MA2500D 2.5ghz ?

Change (both isolator) or (in house SCV box splitter) or BOTH or leave it as it is ??

networked

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

berber

Master Member
Reaction score
In the end i went with goCoax. Believe its local seller as well. Dont think you can go wrong with either though. Welcome upgrade from powerline adapter, wish I had knew earlier haha

networked

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the end i went with goCoax. Believe its local seller as well. Dont think you can go wrong with either though. Welcome upgrade from powerline adapter, wish I had knew earlier haha
thanks for reply. is there a need for the filter/splitter. i still cant get my heads around it. amazon reviews are mostly mocax plug and play. seems like no need.

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using a pair of gocoax adapters myself. Same as you, the information at first can be a little overwhelming. Especially as the situation and equipment in various homes might differ according to how old the flat is (such as the location of the splitter? whether to buy new splitter? Is POE filter required?) In the end I just yolo and went out to get a set and voila! Now enjoying the full gigabit speed on my desktop.

Was contemplating whether to get everything at one shot (POE filter, splitter, adapters, cables) initially but these cost actually adds up. Luckily for me it's a simple case of plug and play seeing that both locations in my home already has the Coaxial points and I assumed that they are already linked. Got my set from Amazon and it came with US plug, so have to get those $1 converter from local hardware stores.

I was so impressed with this MoCa technology that I ended up recommending to my friend as well. He managed find a local seller on Carousell and that set actually comes with the UK 3 pin type of plug.

whyee

Reaction score
Hi All,

Gocoax website is not shipping to SG from their website. so only from Amazon now.

Considering between the Actiontec ECB7250 which comes with RG6 cable ($190-210 SGD for 2) and the Go coax MA2500D ($108 each). seems like Actiontec is the better deal now.

Anyone used the Actiontec 2.5 and offer any reviews? Thanks

whyee

Reaction score
I need a little help here, outside my house (HDB) in the riser there's a SCV box which is individual isolator rated (5-1000mhz) 1.1 way (no splitter).

In the house there's a SCV box in it is splitter that rated (5-1000mhz) split 2 way (beside splitter is another isolator) .

What do i need to change to fully utilize goCoax MA2500D 2.5ghz ?

Change (both isolator) or (in house SCV box splitter) or BOTH or leave it as it is ??
Hi,

I'm also starting to setup MoCA now. Planning to only change the splitter inside the SCV box in the house to correct frequency band 5-2500. Ordered a splitter from Shopee. Either disconnect the IN cable & add termination cap or add a POE to this IN cable. No access to the outside riser since its locked.

What are you intending to do?

jasonwsc

Reaction score
Looking for some advice here, not sure if my HDB even has coaxial since it is built in the 80s.

So basically I have the SCV box next to the HDB MATV box with FM/TV in my living room.
Already switched to Fibre TV so nothing connected to output of Coax in SCV box.

Cwci3MX.jpg

Took apart the SCV box and saw this.

mmsfy9R.jpg

Then in the master bedroom there is another port, should be MATV. (Very dusty I know)

myml1sC.jpg

In this case can I use MoCA? Can I change the port using adapter like this one?

Last edited:

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does your room have another coaxial point like the one in living room? not sure if you can just apply an adapter to the current port in room to make it work.

I would advise you to open the cover and take a look. there should be a small hole either at the top or bottom of the cover where you can insert a philips flat head driver to pry it open.
Looking for some advice here, not sure if my HDB even has coaxial since it is built in the 80s.

So basically I have the SCV box next to the HDB MATV box with FM/TV in my living room.
Already switched to Fibre TV so nothing connected to output of Coax in SCV box.

Took apart the SCV box and saw this.

Then in the master bedroom there is another port, should be MATV. (Very dusty I know)

In this case can I use MoCA? Can I change the port using adapter like this one?

whyee

Reaction score
Decided to buy GoCoax MA2500D UK plug version from local seller from Carousell and RG6 cables,
Gotten some short 45cm RG6 cables, new 4 way splitter with frequency up to 2400Mhz frequency and termination caps from Shopee.

setup
ONT > Lyra Trio router > MoCA 1 > Coaxial point Living room
Coaxial point Bedroom 1 > MoCA 2 > Lyra Trio node 1
Coaxial point Bedroom 2 > MoCA 3 > Lyra Trio node 2

Now getting similar speed in each room since all the nodes are on wired backhaul instead of being wireless. Previously getting only 50-90mbps in the most remote bedroom on wireless connection and now going up to 300+mbps. Happy on the investment since the adaptors are not cheap. Now time to upgrade the router to better spec and use the Lyra trio as part of the AImesh.

Definitely sounded complicated to setup MoCA system but after reading through this thread and watching some youtube videos on GoCoax, it wasn't as painful. Good option for homes without LAN points but with existing old SCV points.

old splitter found in a separate box below DB

dHstmy4.jpg

new splitter from Shopee

KhKp3ST.jpg

attached the cables from living room and 3 Bedrooms to splitter. Added termination cap to the 'IN' so no POE required. Outside SCV riser was locked so no access anyway.

QIWnrA5.jpg

fixed the GoCoax adaptor to each room then to each mesh router. Check that the 3 lights are on. ETH light will be blinking when in use.

2tvacvm.jpg

change the ip address of laptop to log into the Gocoax management web. Phy rates all hitting close to 3500. Probably not necessary to check since the GoCoax are meant to be plug and play.
Use the "Quick Start Guide for WF-803M" from the GoCoax support page to find out how to log in.

r0_ger

Master Member
Reaction score
Decided to buy GoCoax MA2500D UK plug version from local seller from Carousell and RG6 cables,
Gotten some short 45cm RG6 cables, new 4 way splitter with frequency up to 2400Mhz frequency and termination caps from Shopee.

setup

Now getting similar speed in each room since all the nodes are on wired backhaul instead of being wireless. Previously getting only 50-90mbps in the most remote bedroom on wireless connection and now going up to 300+mbps. Happy on the investment since the adaptors are not cheap. Now time to upgrade the router to better spec and use the Lyra trio as part of the AImesh.

Definitely sounded complicated to setup MoCA system but after reading through this thread and watching some youtube videos on GoCoax, it wasn't as painful. Good option for homes without LAN points but with existing old SCV points.

old splitter found in a separate box below DB

dHstmy4.jpg

new splitter from Shopee

KhKp3ST.jpg

attached the cables from living room and 3 Bedrooms to splitter. Added termination cap to the 'IN' so no POE required. Outside SCV riser was locked so no access anyway.

QIWnrA5.jpg

fixed the GoCoax adaptor to each room then to each mesh router. Check that the 3 lights are on. ETH light will be blinking when in use.

2tvacvm.jpg

change the ip address of laptop to log into the Gocoax management web. Phy rates all hitting close to 3500. Probably not necessary to check since the GoCoax are meant to be plug and play.
Use the "Quick Start Guide for WF-803M" from the GoCoax support page to find out how to log in.

I didnt know it is possible for 1 MoCA output to split to 2 or 3 Coaxial points and then another MoCA in each room for the input to LAN point.

candrox

Reaction score
Did not install the POE filter at the scv entry point of the house because cannot find. Will explore when have time.
There are several ways within your premises to resolve this correctly:
  • The POE filter can just be installed within your own flat - the main coax cable comes from the outside into your flat and ends up in a box with a coax splitter (where the cable splits up into different rooms). You can just screw the POE filter to the 'IN' connector of your coax splitter. It does not make a difference if the POE filter is attached to the main cable within your flat or like 10 meters further outside in a box.
  • You can disconnect the main coax cable at your coax splitter and use a termination end-cap at your coax splitter.
Overall, please be responsible and ensure proper installation that does not impact anybody else. Thanks

Last edited:

i-Movies

Reaction score
I am thinking of using MoCA as wire backhaul for my Orbi RBK53, is connection between mesh nodes stable?

i-Movies

Reaction score
dumb question.... how possible to pull out coaxial cable and wire network cable thru the coax pipes in the wall?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dumb question.... how possible to pull out coaxial cable and wire network cable thru the coax pipes in the wall?

I do not think this is a dumb question. I dare not to do that myself. Luckily a single wireless router in a central location is good enough for me now.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.