Myprotein SG

IxasCaelum

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, pretty new to forums and wanted to ask:

1. I am new to taking whey protein and would like to ask, is there a big difference in terms of quality between Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard and MyProtein Impact Whey? My friend has recommended ON but I'm on a budget so MyProtein would save me a couple of dollars here and there.

I've also read on another thread that ON has "better quality protein", so just wanted to clarify if that's the case? Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Has anyone tried the unflavoured whey? Thinking of getting that for better bang for buck.

3. Is there an option to request for delivery to POPStation instead? Would prefer to collect from post office myself since I see so many horror stories regarding delivery by SingPost, and my doorbell isn't working :x

4. Typically how long does 1 2.5kg pack last? Expiry date wise - afraid that if i bulk buy to avoid shipping, the powder might not last long enough.

Sorry if I ask questions previously asked!
 

galapogos

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Aug 30, 2000
Messages
30,098
Reaction score
42
Hi guys, pretty new to forums and wanted to ask:

1. I am new to taking whey protein and would like to ask, is there a big difference in terms of quality between Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard and MyProtein Impact Whey? My friend has recommended ON but I'm on a budget so MyProtein would save me a couple of dollars here and there.
MyProtein Impact Whey has been tested to meet label specs better than ON 100% Gold Standard Whey, according to Labdoor. I would say it's better quality. It doesn't hurt that it's also cheaper.

I've also read on another thread that ON has "better quality protein", so just wanted to clarify if that's the case? Does anyone have any experience with this?
ON Gold Standard 100% Whey uses a Whey Blend of WPI and WPC, while Impact Whey is purely WPC. WPI is of a higher purity, which means it's a higher percentage of protein per unit weight. However, it also lacks some of the protein fractions that WPC has. Seeing that lab tests give Impact Whey a higher score for protein concentration, it doesn't make sense to go with ON based on a theoretical advantage.

2. Has anyone tried the unflavoured whey? Thinking of getting that for better bang for buck.
Yes I have, but I always mix it with a flavored product, so I haven't tried it alone. It should taste ok though.

3. Is there an option to request for delivery to POPStation instead? Would prefer to collect from post office myself since I see so many horror stories regarding delivery by SingPost, and my doorbell isn't working :x
Dunno

4. Typically how long does 1 2.5kg pack last? Expiry date wise - afraid that if i bulk buy to avoid shipping, the powder might not last long enough.
You can calculate it yourself based on your own usage. Different people consume protein at different rates.
 

Aizenhart

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 7, 2014
Messages
6,812
Reaction score
1,062
2. Has anyone tried the unflavoured whey? Thinking of getting that for better bang for buck.


If you have ever drank skim milk from those UHT packets, I would say that Myprotein's unflavoured impact whey has the same taste and consistency as skim milk. It is light and smooth, and does not produce too much foam as compared to some other impact whey flavours.
 

IxasCaelum

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
@galapogos: Thank you for your detailed response! Regarding question 4, I meant more towards what is the shelf life of whey? Is the best before date typically 1 year or so? I want to know how long can i "store" it for if I buy more than 1 bag. :)

@aizenhart: Oh okay that sounds pretty manageable. Thank you!

One more question - is there a place where I can find the exact nutritional information for the different MyProtein flavoured wheys? Seems like the nutritional information provided on the retail site is only for unflavoured whey.

Thank you once again! Your responses are very much appreciated :D
 

Aizenhart

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 7, 2014
Messages
6,812
Reaction score
1,062
One more question - is there a place where I can find the exact nutritional information for the different MyProtein flavoured wheys? Seems like the nutritional information provided on the retail site is only for unflavoured whey.


Hmm not really sure about that, but what I did was I went into the ingredients drop down menu which lists the main ingredients for each flavour of Myprotein whey.

There I compared the whey concentrate percentage for each flavour. It seems that generally chocolate flavours and some others have a lower whey content (e.g., most chocolate flavours 91% compared to unflavoured 100%, strawberry cream 96% and some other flavours not even listed, [presumably even lower] ).
 

ikkozilla

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2011
Messages
8,583
Reaction score
1
One more question - is there a place where I can find the exact nutritional information for the different MyProtein flavoured wheys? Seems like the nutritional information provided on the retail site is only for unflavoured whey.


Hmm not really sure about that, but what I did was I went into the ingredients drop down menu which lists the main ingredients for each flavour of Myprotein whey.

There I compared the whey concentrate percentage for each flavour. It seems that generally chocolate flavours and some others have a lower whey content (e.g., most chocolate flavours 91% compared to unflavoured 100%, strawberry cream 96% and some other flavours not even listed, [presumably even lower] ).
Just multiply the unflavoured content by the % of the flavor. For example chocolate: 91% of unflavored 9% of flavouring

Sent from Xiaomi MI 5S using GAGT
 

doran_lum

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2002
Messages
1,296
Reaction score
2
May I ask if any of you take protein bars ? how is it compare to your protein shake ?
 

ikkozilla

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2011
Messages
8,583
Reaction score
1
May I ask if any of you take protein bars ? how is it compare to your protein shake ?

Protein bars are generally unhealthier than protein shakes due to the sugars and other things. However they can be a yummier option.

My friend makes his own protein bars from protein powder, so you can google it up to save costs over the long run as protein bars can be really expensive.
 

sweeping

Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2014
Messages
477
Reaction score
12
There's a one for one offer for pills on myprotein right now, anyone wanna share for free delivery?
 

teckgamer

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
1
One more question - is there a place where I can find the exact nutritional information for the different MyProtein flavoured wheys? Seems like the nutritional information provided on the retail site is only for unflavoured whey.

Thank you once again! Your responses are very much appreciated :D

Different flavour have different nutritional information.
If you want the exact values, you have to ask other my protein whey users to take a screenshot :s13::s13:
Anyway, the difference in the nutritional value is minimal. It would not really matter if you are a few grams off in protein, fats and carbs (and generally nutritional label are not 100% accurate to the dots anyway).
For the most cost effective protein, unflavoured whey would be the answer.
 

teckgamer

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
1
May I ask if any of you take protein bars ? how is it compare to your protein shake ?

I have tried myprotein cookies, brownie and bars.
Taste: average and of course not as good as the real ones loaded with sugar
Macros: Really good, most of the products have minimal sugar and high in protein
Price: Not exactly cheap. Unless you have the means and not having the time to cook eggs and some peanut butter bread.
Is it worth: Yes, if you need to hit a certain amount of purchased products for free delivery or other free promotional items :s13:
 

zhaohan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2002
Messages
28,056
Reaction score
546
knn ordered yesterday and they have 52% off these 2 days
 

Aizenhart

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 7, 2014
Messages
6,812
Reaction score
1,062
Not on all products though. The impact whey only has 33% off. However if you are getting casein this will be a great time to buy.

I bought 2 packets of 5kg unflavoured casein this time round. So if you do take casein this is a great time to stock up and make use of the 52% off (essentially buy one get one free)

They have some other supplements like creatine and vitamins and on offer too. Also if you purchase above $150 you will receive a box of free protein samples as well.

In addition there are usually different discounts codes available, do note that not all codes are eligible for the same products.

Lastly for first time buyers you can enter the friend code at checkout and receive 25% (applies to all products) off your overall purchase.

ANDERSON-R4T
 
Last edited:

ikkozilla

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2011
Messages
8,583
Reaction score
1
Not on all products though. The impact whey only has 33% off. However if you are getting casein this will be a great time to buy.

I bought 2 packets of 5kg unflavoured casein this time round. So if you do take casein this is a great time to stock up and make use of the 52% off (essentially buy one get one free)

They have some other supplements like creatine and vitamins and on offer too. Also if you purchase above $150 you will receive a box of free protein bars as well.

In addition there are usually different discounts codes available, do note that not all codes are eligible for the same products.

Lastly for first time buyers you can enter the friend code at checkout and receive 25% (applies to all products) off your overall purchase.

ANDERSON-R4T
Kindly use the 33% storewide code.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 5S using GAGT
 

KYLee

Senior Member
Joined
May 21, 2000
Messages
2,403
Reaction score
6
Collecting orders for north side. collection at woodlands! need another $40 for free delivery. pm me!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top