MyRepublic fibre - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
7,355
Reaction score
1
my contract is finally up! going to jump to m1... or maybe even VQ. anyone else jumping? and where you guys jumping to?

:D

Saw SH 29/mth 100Mbps offer during pc show and took it .
I dun torrent as much as I used to since most videos can be stream easily now .
Main reason is MR made me w8 for 1mth + with no installation in sight:s22: .
 

SimonLam

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
11,800
Reaction score
0
Saw SH 29/mth 100Mbps offer during pc show and took it .
I dun torrent as much as I used to since most videos can be stream easily now .
Main reason is MR made me w8 for 1mth + with no installation in sight:s22: .

I waited for 4mths.. But happy with MR performance so far.. Other than wait very long, no body respond to helpdesk ticket... The rest are ok
 

ArleFK

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
2,089
Reaction score
0
I waited for 4mths.. But happy with MR performance so far.. Other than wait very long, no body respond to helpdesk ticket... The rest are ok

I think you sibei patient, many people sure give up by then alr
 

RimBlock

Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
104
Reaction score
0
Signed up on-line around the end of May for the 1Gbps Gamer service with dedicated IP.

OpenNet came round and checked the TP last Monday (weekday visits only :( ). All good (already have Singnet fiber).

MR guy came round Saturday and setup the ONT. I am using my own router (Cisco RV320 dual WAN).

Once he was finished, he tested the link (MR speedtest site) and got around 500Mbps download and 300Mbps upload on his laptop.

I tested with my desktop machine (B75 board, i5-2400, killer networks NIC -> internal lan -> MR ONT) and got 360Mbps / 300Mbps.

I tested with my desktop machine (B75 board, i5-2400, killer networks NIC -> MR ONT) and got 400Mbps / 300Mbps.

I tested with my laptop (Lenovo Yoga, USB3 -> Gbit lan dongle -> direct connect to MR ONT) and got 400Mbps / 300Mbps.

Put an Intel NIC in my desktop, turned off Norton 360, direct connect to the ONT and got around 500Mbps / 300Mbps.

Spent around 1.5 hours with the MR guy trying to think why the 1Gpbs line is only giving 500Mbps.

MR guy offered to go back to his office and get a more powerful laptop that can get around 800 Mbps on the speedtest but a laptop showing a faster speed than a desktop with an Intel nic would just start alarm bells flashing all over the place.

Also just to clarify, I tend to get between 80MB/s & 110MB/s machine to machine transfer on my lan for largish files.

I also have the Singnet Fibre 300Mbps (wife recontracted without letting me know) so have two services coming from my TP (hence the Cisco dual WAN router).

On a good note, I did see over 17MB/s download from a couple of news servers in the US and Europe for a bit. Downloads usually max out on Singnet at around 4MB/s (on 300Mbps fiber) for me.

iPlayer (some pausing on live tv) and iPlayer download is working on my desktop. Have not tried on my LG TV (built in iPlayer functionality).

What speeds are people seeing with MR with the MR 1Gbps ?.

WHat problems are people seeing ?.
 

misato

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,148
Reaction score
0
Signed up on-line around the end of May for the 1Gbps Gamer service with dedicated IP.

OpenNet came round and checked the TP last Monday (weekday visits only :( ). All good (already have Singnet fiber).

MR guy came round Saturday and setup the ONT. I am using my own router (Cisco RV320 dual WAN).

Once he was finished, he tested the link (MR speedtest site) and got around 500Mbps download and 300Mbps upload on his laptop.

I tested with my desktop machine (B75 board, i5-2400, killer networks NIC -> internal lan -> MR ONT) and got 360Mbps / 300Mbps.

I tested with my desktop machine (B75 board, i5-2400, killer networks NIC -> MR ONT) and got 400Mbps / 300Mbps.

I tested with my laptop (Lenovo Yoga, USB3 -> Gbit lan dongle -> direct connect to MR ONT) and got 400Mbps / 300Mbps.

Put an Intel NIC in my desktop, turned off Norton 360, direct connect to the ONT and got around 500Mbps / 300Mbps.

Spent around 1.5 hours with the MR guy trying to think why the 1Gpbs line is only giving 500Mbps.

MR guy offered to go back to his office and get a more powerful laptop that can get around 800 Mbps on the speedtest but a laptop showing a faster speed than a desktop with an Intel nic would just start alarm bells flashing all over the place.

Also just to clarify, I tend to get between 80MB/s & 110MB/s machine to machine transfer on my lan for largish files.

I also have the Singnet Fibre 300Mbps (wife recontracted without letting me know) so have two services coming from my TP (hence the Cisco dual WAN router).

On a good note, I did see over 17MB/s download from a couple of news servers in the US and Europe for a bit. Downloads usually max out on Singnet at around 4MB/s (on 300Mbps fiber) for me.

iPlayer (some pausing on live tv) and iPlayer download is working on my desktop. Have not tried on my LG TV (built in iPlayer functionality).

What speeds are people seeing with MR with the MR 1Gbps ?.

WHat problems are people seeing ?.

I suspect your facing the same issue as the reviewer who did the review of your router. Even when setting is more or less optimal, the max combine throughput of this model is 750mbps ~ 880mbps.

Cisco RV320 Dual Gigabit WAN VPN Router Reviewed - Firewall, Routing Performance, Closing - SmallNetBuilder

I should note that getting best throughput performance required changing some router settings from their defaults, which is not our normal practice. But initial runs produced suspiciously slow throughput that caused us to check with Cisco to see if we were getting expected performance.

We had to disable Enable Network Service Detection (System Management > Dual WAN > Edit WAN) on both WAN ports and make the Bandwidth Management settings shown below to get simultaneous tests to complete.
 

nestorvie

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2007
Messages
694
Reaction score
0
Side track a bit, can anyone manage to get DDNS work on MR line? I'm currently using their 100M line and both the IP reported by router or by My IP Address | CMyIP.com | What Is My IP Address or by the DDNS providers do not work. The Asus router even says that my network is not suitable for DDNS.

Told the customer service about this and they keep on saying I need a static IP to use dynamic DNS... Not sure if they know what they're talking about.
 

misato

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,148
Reaction score
0
Side track a bit, can anyone manage to get DDNS work on MR line? I'm currently using their 100M line and both the IP reported by router or by My IP Address | CMyIP.com | What Is My IP Address or by the DDNS providers do not work. The Asus router even says that my network is not suitable for DDNS.

Told the customer service about this and they keep on saying I need a static IP to use dynamic DNS... Not sure if they know what they're talking about.

By default for MR.. if your not on static IP then you will not have a public reachable IP address. Without a public reachable IP, DDNS cannot work and that also means no way for you to remote back to your home network for various purpose like viewing your IP Camera, etc..

There 2 solution for MR, one is apply for their static IP plan(not sure if they got sufficient IP to release a not) or wait for MR to migrate to IPv6 (which is not happening and might not be for a while from what I see given their interests on the topic).
 

luminicious

Member
Joined
May 30, 2010
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
May I know from which server did you download at 800Mbps?



Liar, I was still watching Twitch on their 100Mbps line until last night without any issue, 2-3 channels at either high or source.

I was using speedtest. It's kinda weird why it would drop at least 80%!
 

chuanz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
5,016
Reaction score
18
Side track a bit, can anyone manage to get DDNS work on MR line? I'm currently using their 100M line and both the IP reported by router or by My IP Address | CMyIP.com | What Is My IP Address or by the DDNS providers do not work. The Asus router even says that my network is not suitable for DDNS.

Told the customer service about this and they keep on saying I need a static IP to use dynamic DNS... Not sure if they know what they're talking about.

Sad to tell you that both your router and MR CS is correct...
 

RimBlock

Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
104
Reaction score
0

RimBlock

Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
104
Reaction score
0
Really ?.

DynDNS worked fine with my Singtel line without a fixed IP address. Not sure why it would not work with MR. It does rely on an app reporting back to the DynDNS servers to function but if that is up and running then you should be good. Of course you need to make sure your router is configured correctly to allow incomming connections and is routing them to the correct machines on your lan.
 

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
Really ?.

DynDNS worked fine with my Singtel line without a fixed IP address. Not sure why it would not work with MR. It does rely on an app reporting back to the DynDNS servers to function but if that is up and running then you should be good. Of course you need to make sure your router is configured correctly to allow incomming connections and is routing them to the correct machines on your lan.

because at the backend MR does NAT which means you are unable to face the public unless you get the static ip add on.
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
Really ?.

DynDNS worked fine with my Singtel line without a fixed IP address. Not sure why it would not work with MR. It does rely on an app reporting back to the DynDNS servers to function but if that is up and running then you should be good. Of course you need to make sure your router is configured correctly to allow incomming connections and is routing them to the correct machines on your lan.

Because SingTel by default is on dynamic PUBLIC IP whereas MR is on dynamic PRIVATE IP.
 

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
7,355
Reaction score
1
My new 29/mth SH 100Mbps ,better than expected .
China website now loads super fast and streaming at HD is smooth finally!!!!
Twitch ,youtube is ok !
So its MR problem afterall (or my shitty esr9850 ?)!
Might come at some torrent speed loss but worth it!

Its ironic but seems like I have to thank MR !

3580187264.png
 
Last edited:

nestorvie

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2007
Messages
694
Reaction score
0
Just checked, static IP only cost $50 one-time installation so nvm, I'll just get it and forget about DDNS.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top