MyRepublic fibre - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nestorvie

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2007
Messages
694
Reaction score
0
Magically, Rotten Tomatoes decides to finally load!
Spoke too soon..... still doesn't load in IE, but loads in Chrome & FF.

Try downloading Windows 8.1 update from Windows Store.
See how fast the download is going.

If you want to test download speed of your Internet line, try to combine multiple sources at the same time.

My service is down at bedok area. Anyone else the same?

I can still TeamViewer to my home PC so I guess not.
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
actually i'm curious to know how many installations they can take a day. because it seems like it's just the technician bringing the ONT (and router if you purchased one) then making sure that there is connection when plugged in. anyone can share what goes on during installation day?

MR Field Engineer will use his equipment to test the signal from the TP, setup the ONT and router (if any) and conduct some testing.

Note: If you are referring to solely on MR Field Engineer and not OpenNet.
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
Ok so I decided to install uTorrent to test instead of relying on the stupid DLink DNS-320L.

201417a3a627-b848-4d2b-9aac-0a9e103e2edb.png


Who said cannot reach 3MBps?

Which version of uTorrent are you using?

The highest download speed I saw is around 30+MB/s.

I was on PURE100 for the pass 2 years and I didn't have any major issues with MR, there were some disconnections, crawling speed, etc but they were minor issues that happen maybe once a month, come and gone quickly. I didn't trouble accessing China sites and Twitch was streaming at source smoothly--I don't use Twitch actually, just tested it cause someone kept complaining, I had tested PURE with VQ concurrently. although VQ was more stable for Twitch, the difference was very minor. all in all, I was please with PURE100.

After upgraded to 1Gbps, everyday browsing and P2P was as good and better for utorrent, I could do over 20MBps per torrent, not that I need that speed cause I always more concern about the data I owe to the others. One of the main reason I upgraded is because I need higher upload as PURE only allow 50Mbps, the other is MEGA which I upload frequently to share my videos--NOT pirated hollywood movie or PORN as some VQ supporter was trying to accused me when I proved to them that VQ has lower upload speed to MEGA as compare to MR PURE. the 1Gbps upload is better, needless to say but unfortunately, the upload to MEGA had drop to VQ level! my wild guess is MR is throttling the upload cause the speed will drop from ~1.2MBps to ~500KBps after 1 minute without fail! or maybe the NC has bigger pipe to MEGA compare to MR's own network. for this alone, I kind of hope I didn't upgraded...

TL;DR, just my whining, MR 1Gbps does able to sustain close to 100MBps of download, at least locally.

140702-5xGD-on-MR1Gbps-2_zps68bae5cc.png


5GB done in less than 1.5 minute or 55MBps average. you don't need what SSD or high end whatever BS from the other saleperson had claimed.

I understand that there is a download speed cap for MEGA but not sure about upload speed.
 

nestorvie

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2007
Messages
694
Reaction score
0
Which version of uTorrent are you using?

The highest download speed I saw is around 30+MB/s.

just downloaded from their website, so I guess it's the latest version.

Torrent speed depends on seed so if you got more local seeds, the speed will be a lot better. From my test above I still believe if I added more torrent to download at the same time, the total speed can still scale up.
 

bovi77

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2012
Messages
147
Reaction score
0
Are you using wired or wireless connection?

I believe it was mentioned several times that there are many factors e.g. number of seeders, ratio etc affecting the torrents speed.

direct wired of course.

IAmNiceify
Thanks for the torrent adv settings maybe that would help. that for utorrent? how about router side settings?

anyone know how to good settings for tixati?

nestorvie

if you are referring to me, of course i can only say its my neighbour because it is my neighbour and I wouldn't go to him if I already had a singnet line instead of MR.

Twitch & BBC is 100% smooth? I call BS on that. even today twitch VOD playing buffers which it never used to. Twitch streaming has long periods "months" of poor performance and like weeks of good performance since 1 year ago.

what speeds are you getting from Mega?

theoretical & intermittent high performance isn't the benchmark we should be looking at.

was this with utorrent free? did you change any settings?

how about your DL speed from Mega?
thanks!

Newbish
Steam uses P2P to download. its very fast
 
Last edited:

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
btw anyone play games on Steam here? i saw a picture that MR post on facebook quite some time back. the person had 100MB/s download for some game, can't remember.

anyone willing to redownload their games to see the dl rate? :)
 
Last edited:

bovi77

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2012
Messages
147
Reaction score
0
btw anyone play games on Steam here? i saw a picture that MR post on facebook quite some time back. the person had 100MB/s download for some game, can't remember.

anyone willing to redownload their games to see the dl rate? :)

bovi77: i was not the one who say twitch and bbc 100% smooth, can you recheck? i'm not even on MR yet..

yes my bad, my post too long got lost in the formatting!! sorry!! :D
 

nestorvie

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2007
Messages
694
Reaction score
0
nestorvie

if you are referring to me, of course i can only say its my neighbour because it is my neighbour and I wouldn't go to him if I already had a singnet line instead of MR.

Twitch & BBC is 100% smooth? I call BS on that. even today twitch VOD playing buffers which it never used to. Twitch streaming has long periods "months" of poor performance and like weeks of good performance since 1 year ago.

what speeds are you getting from Mega?

theoretical & intermittent high performance isn't the benchmark we should be looking at.

was this with utorrent free? did you change any settings?

how about your DL speed from Mega?
thanks!

Nah there was a few other people before you. All what I was trying to say is unless your neighbour show test result like I did, or you did test their line yourself, do not trust all what they say.

For Twitch.tv perhaps I can make a video of me watching twitch, and upload to Youtube later.

Regarding download speed from Mega currently I do not have any download link... can you PM me a few for testing purpose?

That was with free uTorrent. I did port forwarding and change the max half_open to 10000, as usual. You can refer to this guide
 
Last edited:

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
direct wired of course.

IAmNiceify
Thanks for the torrent adv settings maybe that would help. that for utorrent? how about router side settings?

anyone know how to good settings for tixati?

nestorvie

if you are referring to me, of course i can only say its my neighbour because it is my neighbour and I wouldn't go to him if I already had a singnet line instead of MR.

Twitch & BBC is 100% smooth? I call BS on that. even today twitch VOD playing buffers which it never used to. Twitch streaming has long periods "months" of poor performance and like weeks of good performance since 1 year ago.

what speeds are you getting from Mega?

theoretical & intermittent high performance isn't the benchmark we should be looking at.

was this with utorrent free? did you change any settings?

how about your DL speed from Mega?
thanks!

Newbish
Steam uses P2P to download. its very fast

Optimizing Tixati For Speed
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
just downloaded from their website, so I guess it's the latest version.

Torrent speed depends on seed so if you got more local seeds, the speed will be a lot better. From my test above I still believe if I added more torrent to download at the same time, the total speed can still scale up.

Sometimes more seeds do not mean better download speed.

If the seeders limit their upload speed, the download speed will not increase tremendously.
 

nestorvie

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2007
Messages
694
Reaction score
0

xcrozx

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2013
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Here you go, watching 3 Twitch streams at source quality, and BBC

MyRepublic Twitch and BBC test - YouTube

I hope you can watch youtube smoothly. If not, download the original (hi-res) video here: http://namle.info/2014-07-04_110256057.flv

BBC has some issue when I reload the channel, but after a few click around and switching to HD, it become smooth. No idea why and it didn't happen in the past.

Which plan are you on? I'm on the 1gbps and have been having problems loading twitch streams, and if they actually load they constantly freeze.
 

nestorvie

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2007
Messages
694
Reaction score
0
Test speed on Mega
2014e996ccf5-8434-4a13-8321-4961f033f60a.png


Not sure if it's good or not good... but I still think you need to download multiple files at once to determine the max speed of the line.
 

FSC

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2003
Messages
1,199
Reaction score
5
If you want to test download speed of your Internet line, try to combine multiple sources at the same time.
If you can use IDM on downloads from Window Store, please share!

Downloading the 3.42 GB Windows 8.1 update from Windows Store hosted on MR's CDN servers is ******* capped to 2 MB/s!
 

nestorvie

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2007
Messages
694
Reaction score
0
If you can use IDM on downloads from Window Store, please share!

Downloading the 3.42 GB Windows 8.1 update from Windows Store hosted on MR's CDN servers is ******* capped to 2 MB/s!

Link please.
How do you know it's not Microsoft limiting the download speed?
 

wizardundo

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
2,288
Reaction score
25
Hm.. Finally it's my turn for the installation (1Gbps plan)..

3603687804.png


But the download cannot hit higher than 610mb/s :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top