MyRepublic fibre - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehnsherr

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2001
Messages
5,312
Reaction score
49
Interesting, I didn't expect it to support up to 9xx/4xx speed.

I didn't expect as well. cos MR did say it doesn't and also Smallnetbuilder reported that max is 600Mbps.

Think its because Engenious disabled it by default on later firmwares, plus the fact that when it was initially released fiber speeds was like 50-100Mbps. So the network turbine thing is like pretty useless. I actually bought my old one years back for cable connection which was nonewhere near 50Mbps.

But I think max its 900Mbps. Cos I did a few tests its always 880-900Mbps. However that's as good as saying it does support 1Gbps liao. lol.
 

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
14,249
Reaction score
41
I didn't expect as well. cos MR did say it doesn't and also Smallnetbuilder reported that max is 600Mbps.

Think its because Engenious disabled it by default on later firmwares, plus the fact that when it was initially released fiber speeds was like 50-100Mbps. So the network turbine thing is like pretty useless. I actually bought my old one years back for cable connection which was nonewhere near 50Mbps.

But I think max its 900Mbps. Cos I did a few tests its always 880-900Mbps. However that's as good as saying it does support 1Gbps liao. lol.
But Engenius wireless sux compared to Asus. And having all that bandwidth is a waste if it's bogged down by a router's crappy wireless performance.
 

Lehnsherr

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2001
Messages
5,312
Reaction score
49
But Engenius wireless sux compared to Asus. And having all that bandwidth is a waste if it's bogged down by a router's crappy wireless performance.

I agree with it it has bad wireless performance but its not wasting bandwidth because

1. You will never smell near 1Gbps on wireless anyway on current routers
2. Since Network Turbine works, this means that bandwidth is not wasted on ESR9850.

Therefore If only wired then can get near 1Gbps speeds, there is hence no difference between ESR9850 and the current range of any Asus routers.


The only reason now for upgrading the ESR9850 would be to get better wireless performance, rather than trying to max out 1Gbps.
 

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
14,249
Reaction score
41
I agree with it it has bad wireless performance but its not wasting bandwidth because

1. You will never smell near 1Gbps on wireless anyway on current routers
2. Since Network Turbine works, this means that bandwidth is not wasted on ESR9850.

Therefore If only wired then can get near 1Gbps speeds, there is hence no difference between ESR9850 and the current range of any Asus routers.


The only reason now for upgrading the ESR9850 would be to get better wireless performance, rather than trying to max out 1Gbps.
What I mean is there's a better way to utilize all that bandwidth. Desktop can be downloading files, mum can be streaming video at the same time etc..
 

Lehnsherr

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2001
Messages
5,312
Reaction score
49
What I mean is there's a better way to utilize all that bandwidth. Desktop can be downloading files, mum can be streaming video at the same time etc..

Based on Youtube streaming (fastest way to stream video we can get in Singapore cos of the local cache), unless you are talking about 2k or 4k streaming on youtube, the ESR9850 is actually quite enough. Cos its about 10Mbps to stream 1080p youtube smoothly. My brother's wireless adaptor is only 1T1R and he has no complains streaming youtube over the years I have the ESR9850 (speedtest is only 15-18Mbps in his room).
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,287
Reaction score
420
So either you or they cock it up. Maybe u ask them see how. Quoting customer ID think they should be able to ID your username.

Tried with all of my passwords( i only use 3 in the whole internet). Will try to dig out my ID and pm them.
 

Lehnsherr

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2001
Messages
5,312
Reaction score
49
Tried with all of my passwords( i only use 3 in the whole internet). Will try to dig out my ID and pm them.

Probably due to migration. If not in hurry maybe just wait it out. My account was empty a few days ago when i log in, now its ok liao.
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
Haha... The migration seems to be a bit disruptive whereby one of my billing invoices is incorrect.
 

boonzz

Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2005
Messages
163
Reaction score
5
If you want to keep the ESR9850 for the 300Mbps or 1Gbps connection. Do the following:

1. access your router configuration page (192.168.0.1).
2. Go to Advanced, NAT.
3. Ensure that "Network Turbine" is enabled.
4. Profit!.

Basically Engenius had its Network Turbine function turned ON by default when the router was first introduced couple of years back. However on newer firmwares they left it OFF because there are some users reporting that they had stability problems.

By right the ESR9850 provided by MR will have the network turbine option turned to OFF.

I have tested both of my ESR9850 (I have an older one with hardware version 1.0.0) and I have discovered the following:

Network Turbine OFF: 150Mbps download, 150Mbps upload
Network Turbine ON: 880-900Mbps download, 460-500Mbps Upload.

Basically, by enabling Network Turbine (I believe its a fancy name for Hardware NAT) you will be able to fully make use of the 1Gbps connection, if you think you don't really need strong wireless speeds because the ESR9850 is not a dual band router.

this method works for me! awesome haha. dont have to get a new router now.:s12:
 

Tectrica

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
594
Reaction score
5
I received an email say I can recontract now. I login to myAccount it says no contract? It is an error due to migration or really I can recontract?

Also in the email stated have a 300mbps plan but when I got to MR website only 1Gbps. I don't need blazing fast leh...too fast later catch fire...
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
I received an email say I can recontract now. I login to myAccount it says no contract? It is an error due to migration or really I can recontract?

Also in the email stated have a 300mbps plan but when I got to MR website only 1Gbps. I don't need blazing fast leh...too fast later catch fire...

I think the no contract is due to migration as I also got that error.

The 300Mbps plan is only for existing customers.
 

Getzarian

Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Hi to all, i jus have my my republic broadband set up last week. Over the weekend, i experienced very unstable internet connection. Today, there is totally no connection. I have reboot the modem and router but still cannot. Any advise?

It is a hardware issue or could it be the isp issue?

Thanks
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
Hi to all, i jus have my my republic broadband set up last week. Over the weekend, i experienced very unstable internet connection. Today, there is totally no connection. I have reboot the modem and router but still cannot. Any advise?

It is a hardware issue or could it be the isp issue?

Thanks

Is there any red light(s) on the ONT and/or router?

Have you try direct connection from ONT?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top