MyRepublic fibre - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
need some advise here. have subscribed to MR 1Gbps plan and now having doubts on my setup. How some experts here can help shed some light. I opted for the AC68U router though.

My home is the new BTO type with the TP in the switch box. I've also converted all phone lines to LAN lines in the switch box.

So my plan is this:
TP -> ONT -> AC68U -> patch panel
(with this, my wifi will have reach issues since the router is closed in the switch box)

2nd plan:
TP -> ONT -> gigabit switch -> patch panel
(the AC68U router will be used in my Study room such that the wifi will be evenly distributed to MBR and living room.)

Any suggestions welcomed. thanks!
My future plans includes ip webcams, NAS and media box streaming.

Make sure you have apply for the Static IP in order for your IP webcams, etc to work.

eh guys, quick question
I know asked many times riao
What to do upon termination of MR?? equipment how??

You need to return the ONT to MR.

you have to check if your land line is cat 5e or 6 or 6e. i think bto usually uses 5e which do not support 1gb connection.

Cat 5e cables does not support 1Gbps connection?

I am getting 900+Mbps local download speed using Cat 5e cable.

FYI.

CAT5, CAT5e
Cat5e vs. Cat6
 
Last edited:

xenocide

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
17,819
Reaction score
107
Your 2nd plan will not work as you intended. Connecting a switch to the WAN will not do what you want. You should insert a wired router between the ONT and the switch. Just get a router capable of routing 1Gbps (e.g. used N56U, just disable the wireless). Your AC68U should be configured as an AP.
Code:
[FONT="Fixedsys"]
TP -> ONT -> wired Gbit router LAN1 -> Gbit switch -> patch panel ports
                       wired Gbit router LAN2 -> patch panel port -> AC68U (AP mode)
                       wired Gbit router LAN3/4 -> patch panel port(s) -> other higher bandwidth devices (PC etc)
[/FONT]



Cat 5e does support Gbit.

thanks for the suggestions!

Make sure you have apply for the Static IP in order for your IP webcams, etc to work.

yeap had already applied for static IP
 

frizee

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
7,859
Reaction score
1,462
nivleK1985,

Can reply to PM? Still have problem logging in and resetting password.
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
The Purple Vault

COMEX2014-Vault2.png


Nothing interest me and the free items - wine seems to be very similar as the last IT show.
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,223
Reaction score
311
hmm I'm curious, how does MR intend to rectify the twitch.tv issue?
 

ra[g]e

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
5,934
Reaction score
75
For those thinking about jumping to MyRepublic, here's my review after spending exactly two years with them since the Comex in 2012.

Speed - not much issue. International connections are decent for the average user. Bit torrent speeds are decent. They do traffic shaping but personally I never really noticed significantly reduced bandwidth during peak hours.

Video Streaming on 1 Gbps vs old 100 Mbps - I'm on their old 100 Mbps plan which still uses Nucleus Connect. For video streaming and in particular Twitch.tv, it is generally okay with occasional buffering at source quality. HOWEVER, the for the 1 Gbps plan which uses MR's own OpCo network, Twitch SUCKS according to feedback here. Super buffering. YMMV.

Service - the best way to get their attention is through their live chat on their website. Try calling their hotlines for whatever reason and prepare to wait long long.

I have personally had two or three times that I had to contact MR for some reason or another. The first time was when the router that they provided went wonky. Basically long story short, after talking to one of their reps for a couple of days and agreeing to make certain arrangements, HE QUIT and did not inform anyone about what was supposed to be done for my account. So I wasted one week and had to give the long story to someone else. But in the end the matter was resolved satisfactorily.

The second time I had to contact them was to ask for a waiver in relation to penalties that they imposed on me when the CC I had with them got canceled - they charge penalties when the deduction fails (like really WTF?!) - called them to waived and they agreed. Long waiting time on their hotline - like you don't expect to wait 20+mins during office hours. Maybe if I call them at 11pm I'll be okay with that wait time lol.

What is really scary and disappointing is how most of their reps who were so active here on HWZ, have either disappeared or gone very quiet. I signed up for the awesome service that I expected when I see queries on part 1 of this thread answered fast by CSOs - now when they released their 1 Gbps plan and apparently got their manpower overloaded, everyone disappeared. Looks like only Nivlek is around now and he doesn't really respond directly to posts here anymore.

I guess you can't have everything - cheap internet plan or good service - CHOOSE ONE.

Conclusion - MR is decent for the average user, notwithstanding that their service standard right now is near the bottom of all the ISPs. If you do torrent MR is definitely better than ST and SH. BUT if you watch a lot of video streaming and in particular Twitch, stay far away from MR. Expect some frustrations in communications with them.

E.g. old experience with SH a while back - Youtube buffering issues. I called them and their CSO apologized, waived 2 weeks of my bill, and fixed it. After that, they followed up with a call 1 week later to confirm that everything was okay.

I have absolutely no faith that MR will do what SH did for me, so I have not bothered highlighting the Twitch issue to them personally (also I am not really affected by the Twitch issue now since I am not on their 1 Gbps plan) - I am 100% sure that they are aware of it given the number of complaints about it and the MR employee lurkers here. THEY HAVE NOT BOTHERED TO FIX IT. I doubt they will.

Personally I am going to VQ. I just hope they don't turn into what MR is in two years.
 

keanteac

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2012
Messages
18,879
Reaction score
8
I have 3 issues. Those were the days when MyRepublic just launch. Those people in Hardwarezone so active.

1) Cannot log in to my account. MyRepublic said invalid.
2) Twitch cannot run smoothly
3) Connect to China website also got problem
 

time_shock

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 26, 2001
Messages
6,235
Reaction score
34
Apparently it is a CDN problem for Twitch.tv. Their CDN totally cannot handle the amount of bandwidth that high quality streaming requires.

A lot of ISPs solve this by peering directly with Twitch.tv

Twitch | Level3 CDN Issue
 

daksha

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
terrible customer service and idiotic way to do upgrade.

I used to have 1 year contract and has been out of contract for almost a year with them, and recently upgrade to their new contract plan (Pure 300).

My grievances are that I have appointment today to replace their old nucleus connect and the appointment time supposed to be 1 to 5. The guy has collect my nucleus connect as a result, i don't have home internet already, and MyRepublic team that is supposed to replace did not come yet. They should come and collect their nc and replace at the same time. I am angry because i need internet to do my works! and are they supposed to pay for my mobile data plan?

And After waiting almost half an hour in the hotline, i get to their customer service and he promise to get their order manager to call me back and i have been waiting for half an hour for their call back.

This is terrible customer service and I regret of re-contracting with them, because now I am tied to 2 year contract with them. If only no contract, i will gladly cancel this plan.
 

layang89

Member
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
For those thinking about jumping to MyRepublic, here's my review after spending exactly two years with them since the Comex in 2012.

Speed - not much issue. International connections are decent for the average user. Bit torrent speeds are decent. They do traffic shaping but personally I never really noticed significantly reduced bandwidth during peak hours.

Video Streaming on 1 Gbps vs old 100 Mbps - I'm on their old 100 Mbps plan which still uses Nucleus Connect. For video streaming and in particular Twitch.tv, it is generally okay with occasional buffering at source quality. HOWEVER, the for the 1 Gbps plan which uses MR's own OpCo network, Twitch SUCKS according to feedback here. Super buffering. YMMV.

Service - the best way to get their attention is through their live chat on their website. Try calling their hotlines for whatever reason and prepare to wait long long.

I have personally had two or three times that I had to contact MR for some reason or another. The first time was when the router that they provided went wonky. Basically long story short, after talking to one of their reps for a couple of days and agreeing to make certain arrangements, HE QUIT and did not inform anyone about what was supposed to be done for my account. So I wasted one week and had to give the long story to someone else. But in the end the matter was resolved satisfactorily.

The second time I had to contact them was to ask for a waiver in relation to penalties that they imposed on me when the CC I had with them got canceled - they charge penalties when the deduction fails (like really WTF?!) - called them to waived and they agreed. Long waiting time on their hotline - like you don't expect to wait 20+mins during office hours. Maybe if I call them at 11pm I'll be okay with that wait time lol.

What is really scary and disappointing is how most of their reps who were so active here on HWZ, have either disappeared or gone very quiet. I signed up for the awesome service that I expected when I see queries on part 1 of this thread answered fast by CSOs - now when they released their 1 Gbps plan and apparently got their manpower overloaded, everyone disappeared. Looks like only Nivlek is around now and he doesn't really respond directly to posts here anymore.

I guess you can't have everything - cheap internet plan or good service - CHOOSE ONE.

Conclusion - MR is decent for the average user, notwithstanding that their service standard right now is near the bottom of all the ISPs. If you do torrent MR is definitely better than ST and SH. BUT if you watch a lot of video streaming and in particular Twitch, stay far away from MR. Expect some frustrations in communications with them.

E.g. old experience with SH a while back - Youtube buffering issues. I called them and their CSO apologized, waived 2 weeks of my bill, and fixed it. After that, they followed up with a call 1 week later to confirm that everything was okay.

I have absolutely no faith that MR will do what SH did for me, so I have not bothered highlighting the Twitch issue to them personally (also I am not really affected by the Twitch issue now since I am not on their 1 Gbps plan) - I am 100% sure that they are aware of it given the number of complaints about it and the MR employee lurkers here. THEY HAVE NOT BOTHERED TO FIX IT. I doubt they will.

Personally I am going to VQ. I just hope they don't turn into what MR is in two years.
Hi

I am nearing my 2 years contract with MR as well. The 100M speed has been fine on nucleus box, but i do not want to go thru the terrible upgrade experience to 1G.

How can I terminate the service ? Do i have to call or email ?
 

layang89

Member
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
eh guys, quick question
I know asked many times riao
What to do upon termination of MR?? equipment how??
I am in the same situation. My friend told i can subscribe to Starhub which is using the same ont. in this way i can avoid internet disruption, and also prevent the hassle to return the ont. But i am not sure if this understanding is correct
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
terrible customer service and idiotic way to do upgrade.

I used to have 1 year contract and has been out of contract for almost a year with them, and recently upgrade to their new contract plan (Pure 300).

My grievances are that I have appointment today to replace their old nucleus connect and the appointment time supposed to be 1 to 5. The guy has collect my nucleus connect as a result, i don't have home internet already, and MyRepublic team that is supposed to replace did not come yet. They should come and collect their nc and replace at the same time. I am angry because i need internet to do my works! and are they supposed to pay for my mobile data plan?

And After waiting almost half an hour in the hotline, i get to their customer service and he promise to get their order manager to call me back and i have been waiting for half an hour for their call back.

This is terrible customer service and I regret of re-contracting with them, because now I am tied to 2 year contract with them. If only no contract, i will gladly cancel this plan.

I thought it should be the same MR Field Engineer who takes the NC ONT back and install the new ONT?

I am in the same situation. My friend told i can subscribe to Starhub which is using the same ont. in this way i can avoid internet disruption, and also prevent the hassle to return the ont. But i am not sure if this understanding is correct

I doubt you can use back the same ONT issued by MR for Starhub.

If you intend to subscribe Starhub, I think OpenNet will be involved to either perform Fibre Takeover to switch from MR to Starhub or activate the Port 2 of the TP for Starhub.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top