Nepal-Tibet flash flood

stanlawj

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2021
Messages
10,254
Reaction score
5,539
Preliminary findings suggest that a magnitude 4.4 earthquake on the Tibetan side triggered an ice avalanche, which subsequently caused the catastrophic Bhotekoshi river flooding.

Experts report that the avalanche fell into and blocked the Lhende river near the border, creating a temporary water build-up that quickly burst downstream.

Because the area experienced no heavy rainfall, authorities are also actively investigating whether the seismic event simultaneously triggered a glacial lake outburst.



 

spunkbrat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2012
Messages
12,597
Reaction score
7,677
Horrific, very sad seeing some of those who tried running but got swallowed by the huge wave and buildings crashing on them 😫
 

TehOPengSiuDai

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2018
Messages
13,568
Reaction score
8,813
OMG, like watching a disaster movie except it’s real! The people really had no chance at all. Bridges and houses all swept away maciam like toys! 😢
 

Kanko San

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2016
Messages
11,026
Reaction score
4,898
5 ways Earth will be destroyed

1 WWIII.

2 AI overtake mankind.

3 Astrodroid hit Earth suddenly.

4 All the iceberg melted.

5 All of Earth Resources used up.

But...i guess it is No 1 or 2
 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,171
Reaction score
2,464

Some personal observations:

  • This is a good opportunity for PRC to show that they can do better than the exiled Tibetan government in managing crisis in Tibet. HH Dalai Lama is already quite old, it's a matter of time before he passes away and PRC can use the opportunity to assert control over Tibet while extending goodwill to Nepal. I know this is something that people from the West don't like to hear, but I have confidence in President Xi.
  • Taiwan has entered Nepal for humanitarian missions before through Tzuchi during the previous major earthquake in Nepal. This is a good chance for ROC to extend goodwill to mainland China by sending in Tzuchi volunteers to perform humanitarian assistance. This could be the very last disaster relief project by the ageing Venerable Cheng Yan who is already 89 years old.
  • Even though India is not directly affected, as a major neighbour of Tibet and Nepal, PM Modi can do a decent amount of good by extending support to these two regions. One good turn deserves another, these affected countries are all Hindu/Buddhist/Jain/Sikhs regions, they all believe in karma, so may good karma bear fruit and may lotuses bloom along the mud banks.
For me, I'll pay attention to what Singapore Red Cross and Singapore Armed Forces say about this catastrophe. If Singapore is able to help, I'll definitely support NGOs and Government institutions in doing good. I'm not rich, but I should be able to donate at least S$50 to help out.

I'm not in charge of how catastrophes turn out on this planet, but with some goodwill I'll pray for the best for Tibet and Nepal which are where my spiritual roots come from.

Namo Amitabha Buddha. 🙏
Namo Amitabha Buddha. 🙏
Namo Amitabha Buddha. 🙏

It's Lunar 15th of the Seventh Month as I type this, it's also known as Ullambana Festival in Buddhism, a very important day in the Buddhist/Taoist calendar. Like I said, I pray for the best.

Om Mani Padme Hum. ❤️
Om Mani Padme Hum. 🧡
Om Mani Padme Hum, 💛
 

beano

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
52,558
Reaction score
3,252
One of the scariest natural disaster caught on video..
 

fortunecat

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
84,187
Reaction score
13,319
Some personal observations:

  • This is a good opportunity for PRC to show that they can do better than the exiled Tibetan government in managing crisis in Tibet. HH Dalai Lama is already quite old, it's a matter of time before he passes away and PRC can use the opportunity to assert control over Tibet while extending goodwill to Nepal. I know this is something that people from the West don't like to hear, but I have confidence in President Xi.
  • Taiwan has entered Nepal for humanitarian missions before through Tzuchi during the previous major earthquake in Nepal. This is a good chance for ROC to extend goodwill to mainland China by sending in Tzuchi volunteers to perform humanitarian assistance. This could be the very last disaster relief project by the ageing Venerable Cheng Yan who is already 89 years old.
  • Even though India is not directly affected, as a major neighbour of Tibet and Nepal, PM Modi can do a decent amount of good by extending support to these two regions. One good turn deserves another, these affected countries are all Hindu/Buddhist/Jain/Sikhs regions, they all believe in karma, so may good karma bear fruit and may lotuses bloom along the mud banks.
For me, I'll pay attention to what Singapore Red Cross and Singapore Armed Forces say about this catastrophe. If Singapore is able to help, I'll definitely support NGOs and Government institutions in doing good. I'm not rich, but I should be able to donate at least S$50 to help out.

I'm not in charge of how catastrophes turn out on this planet, but with some goodwill I'll pray for the best for Tibet and Nepal which are where my spiritual roots come from.

Namo Amitabha Buddha. 🙏
Namo Amitabha Buddha. 🙏
Namo Amitabha Buddha. 🙏

It's Lunar 15th of the Seventh Month as I type this, it's also known as Ullambana Festival in Buddhism, a very important day in the Buddhist/Taoist calendar. Like I said, I pray for the best.

Om Mani Padme Hum. ❤️
Om Mani Padme Hum. 🧡
Om Mani Padme Hum, 💛
ROC to extend goodwill to china??
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top