Nepal-Tibet flash flood

I_am_bored

Master Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2014
Messages
2,664
Reaction score
1,280
Om Mani Padme Hum 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

May the rescue efforts be conducted swiftly without obstacles.
 
Last edited:

aarontansp

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2000
Messages
15,933
Reaction score
3,070
NUWAKOT, Nepal: Rescue teams rushed on Thursday (Aug 27) to find hundreds of people missing on the Nepal-Tibet border in flash floods and landslides that killed at least 160.

Many of the missing are foreign tourists, officials said of the disaster that wiped out entire villages. The death toll appeared likely to rise.

One terrifying clip of surveillance video from the Chinese side of the frontier shows a raging wall of mud and debris crashing over a building several stories high on Wednesday morning, engulfing it as dozens of people run for their lives below. The surge sweeps away buses and cars like they are toys.

Chinese state media reported "major casualties" from a mudslide at a Tibet border hub, reporting three dead and another 265 people missing.



Lately disasters many globally.

Flood claim many casualties.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/deadly-flood-nepal-tibet-border-hundreds-unaccounted-6342806
 

carlongerdidu93

Master Member
Joined
May 10, 2003
Messages
4,189
Reaction score
4,676
This is how the flood devastation was seen from the sky, aerial view from the Chinese border to Devighat in Nuwakot | Himalaya TV

 

Song Bro

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2024
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
3,549
Some personal observations:

  • This is a good opportunity for PRC to show that they can do better than the exiled Tibetan government in managing crisis in Tibet. HH Dalai Lama is already quite old, it's a matter of time before he passes away and PRC can use the opportunity to assert control over Tibet while extending goodwill to Nepal. I know this is something that people from the West don't like to hear, but I have confidence in President Xi.
  • Taiwan has entered Nepal for humanitarian missions before through Tzuchi during the previous major earthquake in Nepal. This is a good chance for ROC to extend goodwill to mainland China by sending in Tzuchi volunteers to perform humanitarian assistance. This could be the very last disaster relief project by the ageing Venerable Cheng Yan who is already 89 years old.
  • Even though India is not directly affected, as a major neighbour of Tibet and Nepal, PM Modi can do a decent amount of good by extending support to these two regions. One good turn deserves another, these affected countries are all Hindu/Buddhist/Jain/Sikhs regions, they all believe in karma, so may good karma bear fruit and may lotuses bloom along the mud banks.
For me, I'll pay attention to what Singapore Red Cross and Singapore Armed Forces say about this catastrophe. If Singapore is able to help, I'll definitely support NGOs and Government institutions in doing good. I'm not rich, but I should be able to donate at least S$50 to help out.

I'm not in charge of how catastrophes turn out on this planet, but with some goodwill I'll pray for the best for Tibet and Nepal which are where my spiritual roots come from.

Namo Amitabha Buddha. 🙏
Namo Amitabha Buddha. 🙏
Namo Amitabha Buddha. 🙏

It's Lunar 15th of the Seventh Month as I type this, it's also known as Ullambana Festival in Buddhism, a very important day in the Buddhist/Taoist calendar. Like I said, I pray for the best.

Om Mani Padme Hum. ❤️
Om Mani Padme Hum. 🧡
Om Mani Padme Hum, 💛
Of cos they will do it, 宁赠友邦,不予家奴。
 

leongws

Master Member
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
3,038
Reaction score
676
This is magnitudes worse than what I imagined!
This is just from river, a lone path.

Now we can imagine the Tsunami that happened at sea like Aceh in 2004 and Japan in 2011, which is hundreds of kilometres along the coast line
 

SpeedingBullet

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
38,837
Reaction score
1,655
it's not a normal flash flood, it was caused by a glacial lake outburst flood (GLOF), which is extremely devastating. Billions of tons of water and mud crashing down at 100+kph

happened before in Pakistan also, so much so it created artificial lakes. Himalayas have massive glaciers and the rapid melt of them is not helping the region
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top