New and Improved MM2H

andyhtc

Suspended
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
20,855
Reaction score
11,037
I have been talking to property developers in Chiang Mai and getting a landed for around $200k is possible plus there are discounts. But I also don't want to lock up so much capital and I'm wondering if the banks are keen to give mortgage to foreigner and you need to find trusted partner since you can only own 49% of land. Maybe UK much easier.

Thailand does not allow foreigners to buy landed properties.
 

kitsura

Banned
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
11,842
Reaction score
4,089
You mean you intend to pay 200 k sgd for a property in chiang mai? What is the point?
Nope I'm saying it is possible, not what I will do. End of day I want to invest property to gain max returns. And that usually means I need to live out of rentals in countries with cheap rentals. But only I am that extreme. Most Singaporeans don't even bother to move out of their childhood neighbourhood. I have moved all over Singapore from East, Central (Geyland). Northeast and now West. Worked in China, Japan as well. So I am very flexible when it comes to where I can live (and work).
 

andyhtc

Suspended
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
20,855
Reaction score
11,037

andyhtc

Suspended
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
20,855
Reaction score
11,037
I checked out Indonesia and Thailand to buy landed properties before I checked out Malaysia. After some months of research, I concluded Malaysia was the best and I went ahead.

I'm not encouraging people to buy Malaysian properties. The reverse is true as too many foreigners buying will spoil the policy. I'm just cautioning people looking for overseas properties in the region.
 

bIkErS

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
15,790
Reaction score
2,088

kitsura

Banned
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
11,842
Reaction score
4,089
I checked out Indonesia and Thailand to buy landed properties before I checked out Malaysia.

After some months of research, I concluded Malaysia was the best and I went ahead.
What are your considerations? And will the property be your residential or an investment property?
 

Firstclass1188

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
15,132
Reaction score
3,755
I have been talking to property developers in Chiang Mai and getting a landed for around $200k is possible plus there are discounts. But I also don't want to lock up so much capital and I'm wondering if the banks are keen to give mortgage to foreigner and you need to find trusted partner since you can only own 49% of land. Maybe UK much easier.
I understand no freehold, I am only interested in FH property.

Forget about putting a foreigner's name big red flag, if you not comfortable buying JB then rent, you can really get way more mileage in terms of visiting frequency in Johor.

I had a home in Oz before and only go 3 times a year max, so sold away.

Will consider buying back Oz because my daughter marrying Oz, can give her as wedding present and also holiday home for myself.
 

andyhtc

Suspended
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
20,855
Reaction score
11,037
What are your considerations? And will the property be your residential or an investment property?

I have my factors to consider and they may not apply to you.

Before you invest, just do a lot of homework, including your exit strategy if needed :)
 

Firstclass1188

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
15,132
Reaction score
3,755
I checked out Indonesia and Thailand to buy landed properties before I checked out Malaysia. After some months of research, I concluded Malaysia was the best and I went ahead.

I'm not encouraging people to buy Malaysian properties. The reverse is true as too many foreigners buying will spoil the policy. I'm just cautioning people looking for overseas properties in the region.
Malaysia may follow suit soon, KL and Johor already different restrictions, KL if you want FH can only buy strata FH, that's why I quickly signed SPA in December 2023.
 

bIkErS

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
15,790
Reaction score
2,088
Based on the readily available information I come across, no way. But if one wants to play around with the rules, then there should be a risk.

I don't want to spoon feed.. u go YouTube see those ah tiong buy landed in Thailand...

Maybe u can check out seantv this guy..
 

kitsura

Banned
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
11,842
Reaction score
4,089
I understand no freehold, I am only interested in FH property.

Forget about putting a foreigner's name big red flag, if you not comfortable buying JB then rent, you can really get way more mileage in terms of visiting frequency in Johor.

I had a home in Oz before and only go 3 times a year max, so sold away.

Will consider buying back Oz because my daughter marrying Oz, can give her as wedding present and also holiday home for myself.
My various reservations about JB is that the bumis are usually cold to hostile to you especially if you are Chinese. And it makes sense since you are driving up their cost of living and most of them don't directly benefit from all the spending going on. And then there is the safety aspect, i have heard of properties being burglared multiple times before. I have also been physically assulted once by an ah beng there and had my glasses broken.

While I want to buy goods and services in JB I also personally want to spend as little time as possible there.

And TH land is freehold too. The 49% ones anyway.
 

andyhtc

Suspended
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
20,855
Reaction score
11,037
I don't want to spoon feed.. u go YouTube see those ah tiong buy landed in Thailand...

Maybe u can check out seantv this guy..

I watched some clips before but I am not convinced of the legality.

I am not so keen on Thailand properties now so I won't be bothered with the latest rules.
 

bIkErS

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
15,790
Reaction score
2,088
I watched some clips before but I am not convinced of the legality.

I am not so keen on Thailand properties now so I won't be bothered with the latest rules.
Den don't spread fake news say u found all the information that can't buy landed in Thailand
 

andyhtc

Suspended
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
20,855
Reaction score
11,037
Den don't spread fake news say u found all the information that can't buy landed in Thailand

Which part allows a foreigner to own a landed property in Thailand with a clear majority or full ownership? I'm not referring to owning a lease or through a grey company. In any case, this deviates from MM2H discussion and I will cease to respond on this issue.

Can foreigners own villas, houses, or townhouses, or land?​

As stated before, foreigners are legally prohibited from owning land under their name in Thailand. Fortunately, Thailand’s legal framework offers some ownership and control alternatives to foreigners. While direct ownership and title deed registration is not possible, alternative holding structures allow foreigners to enjoy and “indirectly” control land usage.

The most common methods of ownership structures used for “indirectly” owning or enjoying landed property usage are usually buying a leasehold or buying property through a Thai company.

2. Buying Leasehold Property​

One alternative is to simply acquire land on a leasehold basis, in which the maximum lease on land period in Thailand is 30 years (with an addition of two subsequent renewals, making the total lease 90 years).

Despite a leasehold not offering ownership rights, it does offer the leaseholder exclusive rights to the use of that property. Leasehold rights are registered on the title deed and will easily allow the foreigner to enjoy a property without the hassle of ongoing additional paperwork.

This solution may be intriguing for retirees looking for a holiday home.

https://propertyscout.co.th/en/guides/property-ownership-for-foreigners/
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top