Nvidia Shield TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbchoong

Master Member
Reaction score
is the interface much faster?

Posted from PCWX using ASUS_I01WD

Hmm, not really noticable difference in interface speed compared to the 2017 version. The Shield has always been fast for me. I don't install any apps that I don't need. Think I only have Kodi, Amazon Prime Video and Netflix installed.

matique

Reaction score
Received my Shield Pro from amazon. Total damage around $320 after shipping.

Impressions:

Love the remote. Buttons are solid, lights up to see at night. Uses AA batteries so can last longer too. With Anynet CEC I can turn on my TV and control volume with it too.

4K AI up scaling works very well. Noticeable improvement in sharpness and detail, but sometimes it's a bit harsh. Works better with good quality 1080p or 720p sources. Compressed files can look worse as it sharpens artifacts.

Speed is good as always. Snappy interface, apps don't get killed too quickly. On wired gigabit connection I'm getting 850+down, 800up. Wireless around 400down, 400up.

Plex setup was perfect, running it as client paired to my NAS. Can handle a bit of transcoding to around 3 devices but better to use direct play. Geforce Now works well enough though I don't use it much.

All in all, it's a good deal and can last a long time. No need to waste money on smaller boxes that die often. I still have my original 2015 shield running in my bedroom 😂

Don't get from local imported at carousell, their prices stupidly marked up.

mmchaisi

Reaction score
Anyone got GeForce Now to work on Shield Pro 2019? I’m using VPN but still fet the “not available in yourr region message”

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am mainly going to be playing atmos 4k HDR contents off my harddisk and also running netflix 4k atmos in NS.

What is the HDMI cable you guys are using? Normal 4k ones or one of those funky 4k ultra HD 2.0b ones that cost a fortune?

Cheers.

moron+genius

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am mainly going to be playing atmos 4k HDR contents off my harddisk and also running netflix 4k atmos in NS.

What is the HDMI cable you guys are using? Normal 4k ones or one of those funky 4k ultra HD 2.0b ones that cost a fortune?

Cheers.
Just go challenger get a premium certified hdmi cable will do. Iogear ones r the most cost effective.

Lil_d3viLz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to maximise the usage of this box?
Is there any website link to describe in details step by step?

Lil_d3viLz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you are using it as tv box, visit facebook group - tv box sg

What do u mean by a tv box?

1. Can I install pc game on hdd then attach hdd to it and run?
2. Android apps or snes/psx emulator for old games should be working?
3. Able to attach hdd and torrent?
4a Is there any way to increase the number of usb ports? I wanna connect keyboard, mouse, 2 controller, 2 hdd. so I need like 6.
4b USB splitter works?
5. Able to watch overseas channels?

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

4a Is there any way to increase the number of usb ports? I wanna connect keyboard, mouse, 2 controller, 2 hdd. so I need like 6.
4b USB splitter works?

I see it as a powered up android which allows you to have 4k or atmos content on your TV. As with android, sky is the limit, if this set is as powerful as people say it is.

Any apk or apps or streams that can appear on your android phone can appear on your tv, but with high definition.

Mine is arriving next week so I'll let you know how it goes then.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

4b USB splitter works?

1. no
2. yes, but you under-utilised it if this is what you want.
3. yes, but don't torrent copyrighted material
4a. yes, install an usb hub. but you don't need so many ports, most people use bluetooth mouse/keyboard, controller.
4b proper name is usb hub.
5. You can watch anything you like if you know which apps to install.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see it as a powered up android which allows you to have 4k or atmos content on your TV. As with android, sky is the limit, if this set is as powerful as people say it is.

Any apk or apps or streams that can appear on your android phone can appear on your tv, but with high definition.

Mine is arriving next week so I'll let you know how it goes then.

For apps there are some exceptions. For example you will not be able to install Starhub Go on the Nvidia Shield TV. But you can cast from phone.

You may or may not be able to install Toggle, but you can cast from phone.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For apps there are some exceptions. For example you will not be able to install Starhub Go on the Nvidia Shield TV. But you can cast from phone.

You may or may not be able to install Toggle, but you can cast from phone.

toggle (renaming to mewatch coming january) really suck as an app man.
not to say am smacking local stuff.. but the quality of the app is really cmi.
even the ios version also facepalm

lets hope the transition to mewatch will make it better, and please release an android tv version!

Asakura

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
agree on toggle app :s12:

toggle (renaming to mewatch coming january) really suck as an app man.
not to say am smacking local stuff.. but the quality of the app is really cmi.
even the ios version also facepalm

lets hope the transition to mewatch will make it better, and please release an android tv version!

Lil_d3viLz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. no
2. yes, but you under-utilised it if this is what you want.
3. yes, but don't torrent copyrighted material
4a. yes, install an usb hub. but you don't need so many ports, most people use bluetooth mouse/keyboard, controller.
4b proper name is usb hub.
5. You can watch anything you like if you know which apps to install.

Q3. I don't think Nvidia can know who's torrenting copyrighted material. Maybe only ISP knows?
Q4. USB Hub ok. coz need more space to store videos.
Q5. Don't know any app. Newbies. Any to intro? :D Like China/HongKong/Taiwan Dramas. Kdrama. Anime. Movie. US TV Series.

Was wondering if Nvidia Shield can be turned on 24/7, so I can stream from office or hotel to watch on my mobile phone.

mmchaisi

Reaction score
Q3. I don't think Nvidia can know who's torrenting copyrighted material. Maybe only ISP knows?

You miss the point here.

Was wondering if Nvidia Shield can be turned on 24/7, so I can stream from office or hotel to watch on my mobile phone.

Sure, you can run the plex server 24/7 and access all your media files from the internet.

The main reason to use the Nvidia Shield TV is the enhanced audio and video using Dolby Atmos and Vision when playing media through HDMI on a TV. The media can come from Netflix, Youtube and other paid subscriptions and your own stored content. Sure you can install android apps to stream content from questionable sources (even pirated streams) but most likely you’ll find poor quality, unstable video and risk of infection.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

may be you live in the cave for many years.

nowadays people don't have to download, streaming is the norm.

free and good servers are everywhere, if you want to watch on mobile phone, don't have to stream from home.

if you are willing to pay for a small fee, you can stream 4k atmos hdr movies .

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
may be you live in the cave for many years.

nowadays people don't have to download, streaming is the norm.

free and good servers are everywhere, if you want to watch on mobile phone, don't have to stream from home.

if you are willing to pay for a small fee, you can stream 4k atmos hdr movies .

Can PM me the place to stream for 4k atmos hdr?
Can pay.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.