PC - HDR Gaming - Sharing Experience

SEvsNK

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this is the monitor version of the 42" LG oled.
u dont really have another choice. its the smallest available panel other than the 38" ultrawide qoleds.
Thanks for your input.

Will wait for this to drop in SG then

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Windows 11 now have new HDR calibration tool available:

View attachment 35358

very simple and direct instruction easy to use.

interesting tool.

not sure how wayang this is, after calibration the sun do not blow out in the final image ... cant believe uncalibrated was that bad originally? :o

seems the dark test is to show minimal black levels and light test is the maximum nits the display can reach

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
interesting tool.

not sure how wayang this is, after calibration the sun do not blow out in the final image ... cant believe uncalibrated was that bad originally? :o

seems the dark test is to show minimal black levels and light test is the maximum nits the display can reach
I calibrated based on my monitor hdr nits as shown in display info, and playing Forza horizon 5 of the sky do seems to be no more over exposed compared before calibration.

Need more test to experience the differences for sure based on the game I play recently with HDR.

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
one of my favorite hdr clips that can go bright and shows limitations of oled ABL :o

works in 21:9 too

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Windows 11 now have new HDR calibration tool available:

View attachment 35358

very simple and direct instruction easy to use.
This could be a vital tool for TVs and monitors which have always-on HDR Tone Mapping like the Sony and Samsung TVs. As currently, Windows is not sending any metadata to tell how high the nits are. In VRROOM, I can see it says 0. When a value of 0 is sent to my LG G2, the G2 will default to 4000 nit tone mapping (if you are using DTM OFF instead of HGIG). Thus why, the image can appear dimmer as the tone mapping starts way earlier to allow for those higher peak brightness moments for your max TV panel nit of 1000 for example.
Having Windows send a proper nit report will be quite useful... but mostly in content viewing as opposed to HDR gaming which most HDR games already have an HDR calibration tool in-game which should work well with HGIG for LG and for dumb HDR monitors without any sort of Tone Mapping algorithm (which essentially works like HGIG) but not much for Sony and Samsung TVs due to their persistent tone-mapping when even in HGIG.

The best way to game is still to enable HGIG to have no tone mapping so that when you calibrate in-game, you will allow the game to do the tone mapping for you for example from 0 up to 850 nits for the LG 42" C2.

For some like me who refuse to buy a UHD BD player in case it gets outdated fast and buys a BD reader in a USB enclosure for PC, then the best way to ensure the metadata such as the MaxCLL and MaxFALL is sent to your TV is to not enable Windows HDR. When you play the UHD BD content on MPC + MadVR for example, it will automatically switch to HDR thanks to Nvidia and even better, it will send all the BD Metadata to the TV to ensure a correct tone mapping is done on the TV. Again, this is verified with my VRROOM reporting the metadata that I can see being reported on MPC.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Doing some test, after calibration using the new windows HDR tools a few of my games does look much better in bright exposure without over shadows the clarity of the images.

Also just realised for the same HDR video in youtube within the same monitor, Chrome (left) can display av1 codec,but Edge (right) can only show as vp09 results in the color so much better using chrome

1664320713745.png

Rogue

Reaction score
The right image is better... looking but the left image, colors look saturated though like disney went to work on it (I never liked over vibrant colors).

Also tested on my HDR monitor, edge or firefox looks about the same, left image but firefox with more "glow?brighter halo around bright spots". Windows 10, nerdstats Edge (BT2020/smpte2084 PQ, VP9) while Firefox (bt709, VP9).

Disabling HDR, Edge now uses BT709. Still generally looks about the same... Left image.

Last edited:

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
The right image is better... looking but the left image, colors look saturated though like disney went to work on it (I never liked over vibrant colors).

Also tested on my HDR monitor, edge or firefox looks about the same, left image but firefox with more "glow?brighter halo around bright spots". Windows 10, nerdstats Edge (BT2020/smpte2084 PQ, VP9) while Firefox (bt709, VP9).

I am testing on this video as link below, both Chrome & Edge are using different codec even with the same HDR video capabilities.

I believed Edge is not fully av1 compatible, it is especially obvious when you open side by side comparion as well as both browser are hardware accelerated activated.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
@Yongkit your side something misconfigured

mine is also the same

left chrome, right edge
image.png

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
@Yongkit your side something misconfigured

mine is also the same

left chrome, right edge
image.png

oh weird, your chrome only show vp9 codec?

let me enlarge my screenshot for your reference on my browser codec:

1664341864256.png

I wonder what goes wrong with my Edge browser ??

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
oh weird, your chrome only show vp9 codec?

let me enlarge my screenshot for your reference on my browser codec:

View attachment 35541

I wonder what goes wrong with my Edge browser ??

I set to vp09 so both are the same and avoiding compatibility issue

I suspect you might tuning where windows may choose to only apply it to edge but not chrome?

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yeah, by default, I use av1 on chrome.

My edge 105 dont have the option on youtube anymore, so I set chrome to vp9 for apples-apples comparison.
I have checked in my chrome youtube setting:

1664347117660.png

av1 was selected as "auto" yet the chrome can play av1 codec automatically.

For Edge browser I tried login to my youtube account and force av1 in Edge browser as "always prefer av1" but it is still unable to play av1 codec :sleep: very obvious that Edge is not yet compatible on my system for sure.

i tried the following video in Edge browser which can only play 4k (2160p) vp9 standard. yet chrome can display av1 codec with video up to 8k (4320p).

I guess i will continue to use Chrome as main media streaming consumption for now ;)

Goodshot

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me HDR is like just simply brighten up the screen 400% which is totally BS to me.

Hurts my eye too

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me HDR is like just simply brighten up the screen 400% which is totally BS to me.

Hurts my eye too
HDR is a feature that I think is quite contradicting to what we want in real life. In real life, people find the sun too bright, so they wear shades/ sunglasses. HDR is meant to show case this "real life" visuals. Yet at the same time, I still find it artificial from time to time. So for example where you are looking at a light source, the display will need to pump out a lot of brightness to simulate the brightness at the light source. However, the areas immediately away from the light source becomes pitch black/dark (assuming a candle in the dark scenario), which should not be how I expect in real life. The result is very contrasting brightness, but to me, it can be quite extreme and unnatural.

In any case, if you want to experience proper HDR, you can only find it on mini LED or OLED display. But I think the contrast is nice sometimes, it is as I mentioned above, unnatural as well, especially when there is a scene where it is pitch black with a single or few light sources.

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
new next gen game on Gamepass out now

Plague Tale: Requiem

HDR pretty good!

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
new next gen game on Gamepass out now

Plague Tale: Requiem

HDR pretty good!

any other HDR game you found good rendering?

I am playing the sekiro in 4k with windows 11 HDR it is pretty impressive too.

I did not activate the in game HDR as it somehow not well presented, and the windows 11 AUTO HDR seems to be better than the in game HDR.

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any other HDR game you found good rendering?

I am playing the sekiro in 4k with windows 11 HDR it is pretty impressive too.

I did not activate the in game HDR as it somehow not well presented, and the windows 11 AUTO HDR seems to be better than the in game HDR.

can't say i have more games tried. :o

tiagong red dead 2 also good

because got existing gamepass so download this new game, hdr is good. not just brightness but also darker shades and billions 10bit colors :o

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.