Phone vs dedicated camera

fxsg123

Master Member
Reaction score
Not trying to cause a debate, just checking out who in the same situation as me?

My $2K dedicated never got a chance to proof its usefulness. I use it for family events and during holiday. However my wife never allow me to shoot photo of her outside of Meitu apps (meaning only mobile). Excellent apps to be honest. Nice output just that it completely change her to a different person. No post processing can match it, not even close.

I end up taking landscape but kena scold spend so much time taking “google” photo, meaning no different from photo of the scene you Google.

I start from annoying to slowly accepting especially those camera beautifying apps. No amount of photography skill can match the apps. Most girls that I know of just prefer the output of those apps

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not trying to cause a debate, just checking out who in the same situation as me?

My $2K dedicated never got a chance to proof its usefulness. I use it for family events and during holiday. However my wife never allow me to shoot photo of her outside of Meitu apps (meaning only mobile). Excellent apps to be honest. Nice output just that it completely change her to a different person. No post processing can match it, not even close.

I end up taking landscape but kena scold spend so much time taking “google” photo, meaning no different from photo of the scene you Google.

I start from annoying to slowly accepting especially those camera beautifying apps. No amount of photography skill can match the apps. Most girls that I know of just prefer the output of those apps
it's a change of preference and mindset thing.

At the end of the day is what is the outcome one wants? different people wants different outcome.

Do what works to get to the intended outcome.

no one-size-fits-all approach

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Switching one to the other is a very personal assessment.

I still make it a point to bring out my aged mirrorless (almost) daily. But 99% of my pics are now straight off jpg rather than sitting in front of PC working on raws.. just have to be extra mindful of highlight clipping ..

There is still a palpable difference in output but computational photography is closing in esp in good lightings for small image sizes.

fxsg123

Master Member
Reaction score
Switching one to the other is a very personal assessment.

I still make it a point to bring out my aged mirrorless (almost) daily. But 99% of my pics are now straight off jpg rather than sitting in front of PC working on raws.. just have to be extra mindful of highlight clipping ..

There is still a palpable difference in output but computational photography is closing in esp in good lightings for small image sizes.

What mirrorless are you using?
I’m planning to switch to Sony FX30 within next 2 weeks. I’ll go video moving forward.

I sort of accept general (non commercial) photography, mobile phone and all its beauty apps is the to go now.

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What mirrorless are you using?
I’m planning to switch to Sony FX30 within next 2 weeks. I’ll go video moving forward.

I sort of accept general (non commercial) photography, mobile phone and all its beauty apps is the to go now.

Wow. FX30 looks amazing

I am using an old Sony A7R

fxsg123

Master Member
Reaction score
Wow. FX30 looks amazing

I am using an old Sony A7R

One of the original alpha series. Old FF but still can be trusted.

FX30 is the right fit for me @2.7K. As I own a number of APSC lens, I can reuse. There’s no other 422 10bit internal camera of similar price in market. Nikon Z6II cannot take log 10bit internal. A74 at least 3.5K, Canon R6ii @3.9k body only. Other option like Pocket cinema 4/6k, sigma fp require more skill set and manual focus which I don’t know.

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One of the original alpha series. Old FF but still can be trusted.

FX30 is the right fit for me @2.7K. As I own a number of APSC lens, I can reuse. There’s no other 422 10bit internal camera of similar price in market. Nikon Z6II cannot take log 10bit internal. A74 at least 3.5K, Canon R6ii @3.9k body only. Other option like Pocket cinema 4/6k, sigma fp require more skill set and manual focus which I don’t know.

Wow u r really focused on videography (y)

It is definitely something I would like to learn in the future

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

IMHO.
You can always take photo that Google does not have. :)

Tyer

Master Member
Reaction score
I am similar to thread starter. Buy Mirrorless camera years ago. Hardly use after tat Europe trip.
Recently buy Fimi Palm coz thought smaller and good for VLOG. Also hardly use coz finally need to link to phone to see more details.
latest toy I buy is DJI Gimbal. Hopefully will use it more often.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am similar to thread starter. Buy Mirrorless camera years ago. Hardly use after tat Europe trip.
Recently buy Fimi Palm coz thought smaller and good for VLOG. Also hardly use coz finally need to link to phone to see more details.
latest toy I buy is DJI Gimbal. Hopefully will use it more often.
IMHO.
My DJI Gimbal has been sitting on the floor since July ....

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a FF mirrorless for street photography and family events. But my fear is that it turns into a white elephant (eg in the end use iPhone) and there goes $3k worth of equipment.

A7C + 40mm f2.5

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a FF mirrorless for street photography and family events. But my fear is that it turns into a white elephant (eg in the end use iPhone) and there goes $3k worth of equipment.

A7C + 40mm f2.5

Make it a point to bring the setup regularly. I bring my old A7R + 50mm out when I go for work every day.

sarahdes12

Reaction score

hi all whats the best camera for vlogging? beginner to this whole idea camera here

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

A7C + 40mm f2.5
Sure will become white elephants.... Unless u very enthusiastic.... Your family , close friend subjects will pour cold water... Faster leh take photo... Compose so long... Wah Lao my phone camera more nice leh

But for street photography is fine loh... But really no need such an expensive camera

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sure will become white elephants.... Unless u very enthusiastic.... Your family , close friend subjects will pour cold water... Faster leh take photo... Compose so long... Wah Lao my phone camera more nice leh

But for street photography is fine loh... But really no need such an expensive camera
Lol the iPhone photos looks nicer comments is super common lol

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same same... I'm stuck with an Sony a99 and a Sony Nex-6... Both still do a very good job... But the DSLR is just too heavy to bring about now with 2 little kids (need a 24-70 mm Zeiss, 70-300 G, plus a large flash) then the Nex-6 with the kit PowerZoom 16-50 mm has a really small battery and not as good night capability. Thought of selling off everything to fund a Sony a6500 with Zeiss 16-70 mm... But I doubt I can raise any money for any of these that I have now... So just stick to what I have and use very occasionally lor... I just use mobile phone for my travels now... No more space or energy to carry cameras along...

Parka

Master Member
Reaction score
The main downside of proper camera is weight and bulkiness. Upside is the controls and image quality, more specifically video quality.

If I have to take photos and videos for work, picking a proper camera is no brainer. All the buttons are there and easier for menu navigation compared to 100% touchscreen controls. Video image quality of proper cameras is also much smoother, mostly because there is so much more control, + higher bitrate and ability to control shutter speed.

On Youtube, it common to see reviewers praise video quality from phones but it's rarely that those same creators actually use phones to make their YT videos.

For non-work purposes, the phone camera is more than enough.

For those who are deciding between the two. It's really easy, just shoot everything with phone and see if you can live with the limitations.

M_16

Master Member
Reaction score
Same same... I'm stuck with an Sony a99 and a Sony Nex-6... Both still do a very good job... But the DSLR is just too heavy to bring about now with 2 little kids (need a 24-70 mm Zeiss, 70-300 G, plus a large flash) then the Nex-6 with the kit PowerZoom 16-50 mm has a really small battery and not as good night capability. Thought of selling off everything to fund a Sony a6500 with Zeiss 16-70 mm... But I doubt I can raise any money for any of these that I have now... So just stick to what I have and use very occasionally lor... I just use mobile phone for my travels now... No more space or energy to carry cameras along...
You still can get a compact prime lens for your Nex 6, and it will be a step up from any smart phone in low light.

One example is the 24mm f2.8. Super compact.

of course these days, every camera can output clean images in good light.

CyberTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

That’s why I go Lone Ranger so I can shoot as much photography and experimenting with different compositions

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.