PRUDENTIAL SAVINGS SAGA

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
29,485
Reaction score
5,638
Ern, let say you purchase an endowment now, you die the next month, how much your spouse getting? :)

don't talk in riddles can or not ? I not that smart as u

based on what I posted, if I purchase an endowment now at 20k, and I die next month, then my spouse only get back 105% of 20k la.. 1k more only what
 

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
10,697
Reaction score
1
2mewnsw.jpg


wow official prudential logo sia
 

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
10,697
Reaction score
1
The policyholder bought a Prudential policy and paid a monthly premium of $116 for 23 years, giving a total of $32,016. On the maturity date, he expected to receive a payout of $42,000 as explained in the Benefit Summary of the policy. Instead, he received only $20,000. Details of this policy can be found in this article.

The policyholder is confused about the lower payout. This case is circulated through the social media. Many members of the public are confused also.

I wish to explain the confusion.

The annual premium of $1,392 is used as follows:
$836 goes towards the 23 year endowment policy
$501 goes to buy the three riders (crisis cover and disability cover).
The difference must be for interest charges.

The total premium paid for 23 years for the endowment policy is $18,998. The maturity benefit is $20,000. It seems that all the bonus have virtually disappeared.

The Benefit Summary said:
Living Benefit: On maturity, you will get $42,000.

I presume that this is the amount payable ONLY if the life assured suffered a dread disease during the insurance period. It is not clear to the policyholder.

I wonder if the Monetary Authority of Singapore will act on this matter? It appears that they condone the decision taken by Prudential and leave it to the poor policyholder to deal with this matter.

There are two unsatisfactory aspects of this incident:
a) Why does Prudential return back only the guaranteed benefit for 23 years? What happens to the participating bonus?
b) Why is Prudential allowed to give a misleading description of the payout on maturity?

For the sake of good orders, the regulator must step in.

-Tan Kin Lian
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
20 k sum assured, you only paid first month premium, your spouse getting 21 k.

For Ssb, your spouse getting back the first month premium value, not sure how much is that? Perhaps 100 plus?

If you want to use Ssb to beat endowment, it is not that easy actually. I merely pointed out the fact that some forumers ignore the additional protection value offered by endowment(though not a lot).

If you want to use the same model, every month purchase 100 sgd of Ssb + term insurance that can give you the same sum assured, I doubt it can really beat endowment because your initial interest won't be able to cover your protection fee.

don't talk in riddles can or not ? I not that smart as u

based on what I posted, if I purchase an endowment now at 20k, and I die next month, then my spouse only get back 105% of 20k la.. 1k more only what
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
Let say you are a very satki investor, manage to get time weighted return of at least 8 to 30 % per annum, the situation will be much different. Regardless of whatever model insurer is using, you will be able to beat.
 

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
10,697
Reaction score
1
20 k sum assured, you only paid first month premium, your spouse getting 21 k.

For Ssb, your spouse getting back the first month premium value, not sure how much is that? Perhaps 100 plus?

If you want to use Ssb to beat endowment, it is not that easy actually. I merely pointed out the fact that some forumers ignore the additional protection value offered by endowment(though not a lot).

If you want to use the same model, every month purchase 100 sgd of Ssb + term insurance that can give you the same sum assured, I doubt it can really beat endowment because your initial interest won't be able to cover your protection fee.

you are comparing endowment payout against term?
 

koja6049

Master Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2015
Messages
4,717
Reaction score
1
20 k sum assured, you only paid first month premium, your spouse getting 21 k.

For Ssb, your spouse getting back the first month premium value, not sure how much is that? Perhaps 100 plus?

If you want to use Ssb to beat endowment, it is not that easy actually. I merely pointed out the fact that some forumers ignore the additional protection value offered by endowment(though not a lot).

If you want to use the same model, every month purchase 100 sgd of Ssb + term insurance that can give you the same sum assured, I doubt it can really beat endowment because your initial interest won't be able to cover your protection fee.

can you calculate the probability of you dying when you had paid your first month of premium? Otherwise your equation is not complete leh :s13::s22:
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
No point.
I am not a fan of endowment, I merely pointed out the difference between Ssb and endowment and suggested a way to do a fair comparison.

can you calculate the probability of you dying when you had paid your first month of premium? Otherwise your equation is not complete leh :s13::s22:
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
... you just reply for the sake of replying so that you don't lose out. :)

And you never go through the whole conversation.



huh? but ur earlier post says otherwise -

"20 k sum assured, you only paid first month premium, your spouse getting 21 k."
 

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
10,697
Reaction score
1
No point.
I am not a fan of endowment, I merely pointed out the difference between Ssb and endowment and suggested a way to do a fair comparison.

can compare both ssb and endowment returns after maturity, no?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top