[Recommend] Good Mechanical Keyboard

bunnypangsai

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 13, 2012
Messages
9,939
Reaction score
39
any experts know how to remove the ticking noise on stabilizers? I have lubed the stabs but there seems to be some ticking on the spacebar and left shift :frown:
TIA!:grin:
 

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
15,275
Reaction score
197
any experts know how to remove the ticking noise on stabilizers? I have lubed the stabs but there seems to be some ticking on the spacebar and left shift :frown:
TIA!:grin:
Possibly warped spacebars or warped stabilizers (the metal stick).

Potential fixes:
Holee mod the stabilizers. Got side effects of making your stabilizers a little "sluggish"/stiff. Gotta spam the keys until you "break in" the holee mod.

Basically holee mod is like adding bandage inside the "holes" of the stabilizers stem. So when you press the stabilizers, the key goes down, the metal wire goes upwards and hit the top of the hole of the stabilizers, producing a sound.
If you add a bandage to the the contact area, u minimize the sound.

lu1es6vsa8z61.jpg


8fw9favdrls61.jpg
 

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Messages
12,204
Reaction score
2,207
1) Most commonly used ones is the Cherry style kind. Signature "+" sign on the keycap.
1zqVos2w3dLhrOp6bBrS_76jn-dTT1wFLW2Ovg3AZrY.png

You also have others for Romer G (Logitech proprietary keycaps) and Topre keycpas.

2) Yes and No. Switches are switches, keycaps are keycaps. Of course there are bundle deals that lets u purchase the keyboard kit + switches + keycaps all together in 1. So yes, as in, switches can come with keycaps if u look for bundle sets. No, as in, no because you usually buy specific switches that u like, and specific keycap sets that you like. Most people just buy them separately.

So for example, I'm currently "aiming" for this particular switch.
Gateron CJ Switches.
RMB134.50 for 35 switches. Excluding shipping.
GATERON-CJ-Switch-Linear-45g-50g-pom-Series-Purple-Translucent-Mechanical-Keyboard-Customize-GK61-SK61-RK61.jpg


These don't come with Keycaps, so I have to buy Keycaps separately. And I'm considering to buy either of these 2 keycaps set.
RMB188
O1CN01Q3Xfs31kx5diD71H3_!!2209398424749.png

Or
Akko Red&Blue Samurai keycaps @ RMB299
Red-Blue-Samurai-Keycap-Set.jpg

6925758615051-akko-red-and-blue-samurai-pbt-keycap-asa-226-keys-ftr2.jpg

thanks for the reply. forgot to reply as I was looking for my parts.

I'd ordered my Thai keycap from Taobao, and it's XDA profile.

tb-image-share-1640687977225.jpg


I supposed it's the shortest among all profiles.

are you able to help suggest on the types of switches to get for typing? maybe those clicky mechanical feel?

thanks.
 

CursedHamster

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2019
Messages
144
Reaction score
23
thanks for the reply. forgot to reply as I was looking for my parts.

I'd ordered my Thai keycap from Taobao, and it's XDA profile.

tb-image-share-1640687977225.jpg


I supposed it's the shortest among all profiles.

are you able to help suggest on the types of switches to get for typing? maybe those clicky mechanical feel?

thanks.

Maybe take a look at Kailh box white, jades or navy with jades/navy having a stronger 'tactility' & clicky sound due to different click mechanism used than in the whites. If possible try find some switch sample packs to try out the different clicky switches and see what you like.
 

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Messages
12,204
Reaction score
2,207
Maybe take a look at Kailh box white, jades or navy with jades/navy having a stronger 'tactility' & clicky sound due to different click mechanism used than in the whites. If possible try find some switch sample packs to try out the different clicky switches and see what you like.

thanks bro!

I went to do some more reading after my post.

so basically there are 3 major types of switches, ie. linear, tactile and clicky.

linear (gamer) >> tactile >> clicky (typist)

this is just a general guidelines.

in the end, I ordered kailh brown from Taobao.

btw, is there any good keyboard that we can get from Taobao?

was thinking of getting tm680 (3 mode $69) locally.

but if there's a good tenkeyless KB from TB, I don't mind trying it.
 

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Messages
12,204
Reaction score
2,207
https://m.tb.cn/h.f8EYWLb?sm=64552b
tb-image-share-1640755829681.jpg



1640864123021.jpg


they claimed that the spacebar stabilizer had been modified to reduce rattling.

tb-image-share-1640756107372.jpg






saw this 87 KB with Eva foam in between. it's wireless.

around $50 before shipping.

does anyone happened to be using this?
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
Considering to build TM680..

where to get the foam for the back keyboard?
Also for keycaps.. if search based on PBT is it good enough? Or should I get Akko.. <$30 kym?
All buy from shopee preferred.

Thanks
 

twinbaby

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
5,476
Reaction score
1,540

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,968
Reaction score
171
Those who are used to Cherry Browns, what's your take with Cherry Pink (silent Reds) for office use?
 

loganrunning

Master Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
2,355
Those who are used to Cherry Browns, what's your take with Cherry Pink (silent Reds) for office use?

end up as noisy as brown, or even noisier. can't feel the tactile bump, so end up striking keys much harder, resulting in loud bottoming out sound. some can get used to not over-striking keys (my colleague calls it "stroking the keys") so the sound will be softer. all depends on the user.
 

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
15,275
Reaction score
197
Those who are used to Cherry Browns, what's your take with Cherry Pink (silent Reds) for office use?
I have Cherry MX Silent Reds, feels pretty silent to me though.

But i'm not a Cherry MX Brown user, previously used Outemu Browns before though.

Personally, i feel that it's wayyyyyy more silent than Outemu Browns when i bottom out, and way more silent than my Gateron Yellows as well.

Only downside is the mushyness feeling of the Cherry MX Silent Reds when you bottom out.
 
Last edited:

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
Those who are used to Cherry Browns, what's your take with Cherry Pink (silent Reds) for office use?
I used Blues at home for the longest time. Then tried Browns cos I started to find Blues noisy. (Maybe getting old :ROFLMAO:)

Then I decided to go mechanical at work a couple of years back and got a Red which is slightly quieter than Brown, but still too noisy for office environment. Finally switched to FILCO Majestouch 2 TKL (Cherry MX Silent Red) for both office and home.

I don't feel like I'm annoying my colleagues in office as much with the Silent Reds versus Reds & Browns. But for WFH, I think they can still hear me typing on them over the condenser mic.

All in all, I would still stick to Silent Reds as my preferred choice.
 

loganrunning

Master Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
2,355
Only downside is the mushyness feeling of the Cherry MX Silent Reds when you bottom out.

very true! coming from Blue keyswitches and being used to pounding the keyboard for years, end up overstriking hard to get around the mushy bottoming out. now use browns and re-learning not to pound the keyboard
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,968
Reaction score
171
I used Blues at home for the longest time. Then tried Browns cos I started to find Blues noisy. (Maybe getting old :ROFLMAO:)

Then I decided to go mechanical at work a couple of years back and got a Red which is slightly quieter than Brown, but still too noisy for office environment. Finally switched to FILCO Majestouch 2 TKL (Cherry MX Silent Red) for both office and home.

I don't feel like I'm annoying my colleagues in office as much with the Silent Reds versus Reds & Browns. But for WFH, I think they can still hear me typing on them over the condenser mic.

All in all, I would still stick to Silent Reds as my preferred choice.
Been typing on browns for years so not sure if I can get used to the linear reds/pinks. Even with pinks, I might be installing o-rings. Interested in the Filco minila air convertible but too bad cannot hot swap the switches.
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Been typing on browns for years so not sure if I can get used to the linear reds/pinks. Even with pinks, I might be installing o-rings. Interested in the Filco minila air convertible but too bad cannot hot swap the switches.
Pinks or silent red are already dampened so the feeling is almost like orings.

For silent keyboard can consider the huntsman v2 also
 

Lastwishes

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
724
Reaction score
209
Been typing on browns for years so not sure if I can get used to the linear reds/pinks. Even with pinks, I might be installing o-rings. Interested in the Filco minila air convertible but too bad cannot hot swap the switches.
For work, my favorite switches would be the Boba U4T silent tactile, which would require soldering. Very tactile switch that has the landing dampened from the factory. Action is improved if time is taken to lube the switches.

Alternatively, can get any cherry board and use QMX clips instead of o-rings. Gets the silenced effect but less mushy.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
Been typing on browns for years so not sure if I can get used to the linear reds/pinks. Even with pinks, I might be installing o-rings. Interested in the Filco minila air convertible but too bad cannot hot swap the switches.
I used o-rings with my Browns and Reds, but it's still too noisy for office environment. With Silent Reds, it's already quieter even without o-rings. And as @trenzterra mentioned, it's already dampened out of the box.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,968
Reaction score
171
Pinks or silent red are already dampened so the feeling is almost like orings.

For silent keyboard can consider the huntsman v2 also
I used o-rings with my Browns and Reds, but it's still too noisy for office environment. With Silent Reds, it's already quieter even without o-rings. And as @trenzterra mentioned, it's already dampened out of the box.
For work, my favorite switches would be the Boba U4T silent tactile, which would require soldering. Very tactile switch that has the landing dampened from the factory. Action is improved if time is taken to lube the switches.

Alternatively, can get any cherry board and use QMX clips instead of o-rings. Gets the silenced effect but less mushy.
My soldering days are gone. So far I am very used to my Minila Air and am eyeing the convertible version for silent reds. Quite interested in trying other brands like Ducky One and Anne Pro 2 but unfortunately no bluetooth function. For Razer, I have given up on them. Too much driver headache over the years.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top