[Recommend] Good Mechanical Keyboard

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
Screenshot-5.png

only can help for point 1 - ms powertoy

Yeah, of course, software is the last resort but for me, i can just change to another keyboard :ROFLMAO:.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
I was also carting this in the morning but gave up cause the prebuilt unit is about 400+ and I already pre order made84

Oh dont buy the prebuilt, the aluminium quality CMI one.

If you want to buy, wait for aftermarket cases from Taobao, and then get third-party Switch and Keycaps. The ones they provide is not that great.

Sure have many mods for 80HE coming up to the market soon.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
glad u didnt choose the alu case. so cmi. i see hippo and other utubers are quite disappointed being a board more than $200 and yet the paint job of the alu case sucks.

:ROFLMAO: Yeah, I already knew that last month that's why I showed the barebone option in my picture, they sent the keyboard out to reviewers quite some time back and I got insider info.

There are a ton of high-quality aftermarket mods and cases for 60HE due to its popularity, so expect the same for the 80HE. The wise thing to do is just get barebones, get aftermarket stuff, and don't top up for the low-quality shell, switch, and keycaps on their site.

As for hippo, he losing credibility in the kb scene already, all those budget keyboards he keep hyping up and some that are literally outright trash that suck at every single aspect besides sounding good.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
@Yongkit

Got an interesting finding.

My ROG Azoth after using it for 30 days, battery life left 70%. One charge can last me 3 months.
My Custom KB (tried 2 models) after using it for 7 days, battery life left 0%. The battery was fully drained in a week. All have 4000mAH battery capacity and are used under the same type of setting and usage style.

In fact, I’ve been more conservative with my custom keyboards since their backlit is practically useless without shine-through keycaps, so I stopped using them at night, unlike on the Azoth.

Here's the catch though, the same PCB on those custom boards is by the same manufacturer, I see the same PCB on a $35 custom keyboard and a $100 custom keyboard, and how I discovered this is because they have the same issues and characteristics. I think only the big players got their own electronics.

The technical reliability, refinement, and quality of custom kbs are light years behind mainstream brands.
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,916
Reaction score
2,501
@Yongkit

Got an interesting finding.

My ROG Azoth after using it for 30 days, battery life left 70%. One charge can last me 3 months.
My Custom KB (tried 2 models) after using it for 7 days, battery life left 0%. The battery was fully drained in a week. All have 4000mAH battery capacity and are used under the same type of setting and usage style.

In fact, I’ve been more conservative with my custom keyboards since their backlit is practically useless without shine-through keycaps, so I stopped using them at night, unlike on the Azoth.

Here's the catch though, the same PCB on those custom boards is by the same manufacturer, I see the same PCB on a $35 custom keyboard and a $100 custom keyboard, and how I discovered this is because they have the same issues and characteristics. I think only the big players got their own electronics.

The technical reliability, refinement, and quality of custom kbs are light years behind mainstream brands.
oh interesting finding (y) i know most of branded KB would have battery saving mode not too sure on the custom keyboard feature.
 

nwstbz23

Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
422
Reaction score
32
There are crazy people willing to pay for a real set of GMK keycaps which can cost more than a razer/asus keyboard.

Just cancelled my GB from mecha. Time to look at taobao and some other KB site. Wasted my 7 months waiting.
Sidetrack a bit.
@ragnarok95 Good thing you cancelled your GB from Mecha.
Mecha Singapore announced in its IG page that it is closing down "retail operations" by 29 Sep 2024.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,321
Reaction score
6,582
Yes, actually someone already pre warned me about them. Glad i recover my $$$$. The sign are there already when the selection are getting lesser and boring. Too bad MKC also cui too.
 
Last edited:

nwstbz23

Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
422
Reaction score
32
Yes, actually someone already pre warned me about them. Glad i recover my $$$$. The sign are there already when the selection are getting lesser and boring. Too bad MKC also cui too.
Good thing that you avoided a trap there. Local mech keeb retailers also have tougher competition against online retailers.

What is MKC?
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
I see.
Too many budget 75% keebs in the market ,see until sian.

I have a lot of those garbage 75% as you know. Always one in, one out. There's a reason China calls them aluminium chunks. I would say they do not meet my standards in both the build quality and technical quality.

I think for 75% of the layout, if you intend to purchase and use it as a main keyboard, the first concern is reliability. For wireless 75% i would pick the Regular Azoth or SKN75. Believe it or not, azoth is very popular amongst kb hobbyists in CN despite all the crap they have there for cheap.

Also, for switches, pls dont buy those random cheap switches.. the housing quality is really bad and the wobble is really not as good as premium switches. Kaihl and Gateron is good.
 

nwstbz23

Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
422
Reaction score
32
I have a lot of those garbage 75% as you know. Always one in, one out. There's a reason China calls them aluminium chunks. I would say they do not meet my standards in both the build quality and technical quality.

I think for 75% of the layout, if you intend to purchase and use it as a main keyboard, the first concern is reliability. For wireless 75% i would pick the Regular Azoth or SKN75. Believe it or not, azoth is very popular amongst kb hobbyists in CN despite all the crap they have there for cheap.

Also, for switches, pls dont buy those random cheap switches.. the housing quality is really bad and the wobble is really not as good as premium switches. Kaihl and Gateron is good.
Cannot imagine how many 75% budget keebs you have. 😅
My current 75% budget keebs meet my needs for now, especially for typing, switches/keycaps change, tri mode connection, easy to carry around.

Just curious what makes you recommend SKN Bluebird 75 over the other majority 75% alum keebs?
For Asus ROG Azroth, I agree with you that the wireless battery life and backlight features are definitely good, based on some online reviews I have seen (one example is https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/reviews/asus/rog-azoth). Just that the software (armoury crate) may be a source of dispute/lightning rod for some users.

For switches, newer brands (i.e. HMX, Bsun, MMD, Keygeek etc) have also exceeded Cherry, Kailh, Gateron in terms of factory-lube (on par with hand lube quality), smoothness, minimal to no stem wobble (tight housing), sound profiles etc. I do agree with you that for "random cheap" switches, they need to be hand-lubed to achieve better quality.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top