[Recommend] Good Mechanical Keyboard

revebek

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
1,243
Reaction score
701
If you want the S98 with a screen, there may be fewer choices, as I didn't check out those options.
It is good to hear you have decided on the keyboard you will get.

You can get switches with 3 or 5 pins, so it is not a problem here.
Just double-check that the keyboard you are going to get says "热插拔" (hot swappable in Chinese language)

lucky i passed chinese in school... otherwise buying things off taobao will be a nightmare.

thanks once again for the advice.

will review once i get the keyboards.
 

MangoCAT

Master Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2019
Messages
2,791
Reaction score
1,249
Thanks to ppl who recommend Aula f75, most people will prefer Reaper switch (half clicky and touky(deep))
Bought ice vein switch cos less force needed and thocky .

To turn off the battery LED, - FN + L-Shift
 

evildoer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2007
Messages
23,678
Reaction score
4,098


MelGeek Made84 Pro (Fire element)

Hall effect keybaord

i think the maroon color is really pretty.

but i don't really like how the typing sound ..
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,342
Reaction score
1,491


MelGeek Made84 Pro (Fire element)

Hall effect keybaord

i think the maroon color is really pretty.

but i don't really like how the typing sound ..

Magnetic switches won't sound as good as mechanical ones. I have both keyboards and mechanical ones are still much nicer to type on.
 

evildoer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2007
Messages
23,678
Reaction score
4,098
Magnetic switches won't sound as good as mechanical ones. I have both keyboards and mechanical ones are still much nicer to type on.

i dont know how to describe the sound.. i have bridge75 HE & NuPhy Air60 HE .. but the click don't sound that metallic (can't describe the sound properly).
 

cesc88

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
526
Reaction score
80
Hi all, would like to seek some advice regarding this. I recently purchased a cheap set of keycaps from Shopee (about $18). On the box, it stated 80% PBT content. I messaged the seller and was told that “all pbt kepcap not 100%. Normally are 60 - 80%. Did a quick search online and saw articles stating that some pbt keycaps which claimed to be pbt are not 100% pbt too.

Anyone has experience buying those cheap pbt keycaps from shopee (or China)? Any quality issues faced so far?
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,309
Reaction score
6,576
I also using cheap PBT keycaps. Unless you take your KB and whack the table.... i don't think there is any issue when you just type on it.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,034
Reaction score
8,286
Hi all, would like to seek some advice regarding this. I recently purchased a cheap set of keycaps from Shopee (about $18). On the box, it stated 80% PBT content. I messaged the seller and was told that “all pbt kepcap not 100%. Normally are 60 - 80%. Did a quick search online and saw articles stating that some pbt keycaps which claimed to be pbt are not 100% pbt too.

Anyone has experience buying those cheap pbt keycaps from shopee (or China)? Any quality issues faced so far?

Depends on what you mean by quality. I have cheap keycaps where the bottom is not well polished, it can easily cut a piece of cardboard using the corner of the keycap. I've also had keycaps where the stem wasn't durable and could break just as a result of normal typing.
 

cesc88

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
526
Reaction score
80
I also using cheap PBT keycaps. Unless you take your KB and whack the table.... i don't think there is any issue when you just type on it.

Depends on what you mean by quality. I have cheap keycaps where the bottom is not well polished, it can easily cut a piece of cardboard using the corner of the keycap. I've also had keycaps where the stem wasn't durable and could break just as a result of normal typing.
Thanks both!

Seems like it should not be a major issue. But is it common for it not to be 100% PBT? Don't deny I was kind of disappointed when I see it was 80% and wanna return it
 

nwstbz23

Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
422
Reaction score
32
Hi all, would like to seek some advice regarding this. I recently purchased a cheap set of keycaps from Shopee (about $18). On the box, it stated 80% PBT content. I messaged the seller and was told that “all pbt kepcap not 100%. Normally are 60 - 80%. Did a quick search online and saw articles stating that some pbt keycaps which claimed to be pbt are not 100% pbt too.

Anyone has experience buying those cheap pbt keycaps from shopee (or China)? Any quality issues faced so far?
To answer you, PBT keycaps are not 100% full PBT. Here is the wooting website that explains ABS and PBT keycap materials at https://wooting.io/post/abs-vs-pbt-what-are-the-best-keycaps

I have also bought PBT keycaps ranging from SGD10+ to SGD40+. There are no quality issues here and still going strong after more than five years.
 

cesc88

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
526
Reaction score
80
To answer you, PBT keycaps are not 100% full PBT. Here is the wooting website that explains ABS and PBT keycap materials at https://wooting.io/post/abs-vs-pbt-what-are-the-best-keycaps

I have also bought PBT keycaps ranging from SGD10+ to SGD40+. There are no quality issues here and still going strong after more than five years.
Thank you! I guess my understanding of PBT is wrong all these while. Shall put the keycaps in use and post a photo of it when I figured out how to upload photos here :LOL:
 

revebek

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
1,243
Reaction score
701
@nwstbz23 and experts here, thanks for the advice. My hoot for keyboards came in

P1iKnvh.jpeg


Royal Kludge S98 with 云雾轴 (not sure what's the english name)

f8dozDB.jpeg


Monka 3098 Pro with 魔咖-海盐轴 (also not sure what's the english name)

I like the sound on the monka better (despite it being a cheaper board). However it takes more strength to actuate the keys on the monka.

Not sure how to post audio to hwz, if anyone can advise me i can upload a short snippet of the typing sounds.

May switch out the switches and test it again, i.e. Monka's switches on the royal kludge board.
 

xtractor

Master Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
4,674
Reaction score
978
My brother handed this to me.(monsgeek)
He dislikes the pattern because it is too simple, and the switch is not noisy enough.
he wanted to buy nuphy KB
It's free, so I'll take it
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

sZ511k1.jpeg

r3M211o.jpeg

Q8r4j5x.jpeg


change the keycap to Gskill Crystal Crown keycap not sure this is nicer or original one is nicer
this KB is damn heavy!!
wsgUKS2.jpeg
 
Last edited:

nwstbz23

Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
422
Reaction score
32
@nwstbz23 and experts here, thanks for the advice. My hoot for keyboards came in

P1iKnvh.jpeg


Royal Kludge S98 with 云雾轴 (not sure what's the english name) --> Cloud mist switch, although I also tend to remember the Chinese switch name instead.

f8dozDB.jpeg


Monka 3098 Pro with 魔咖-海盐轴 (also not sure what's the english name) --> Monka sea salt switches

I like the sound on the monka better (despite it being a cheaper board). However it takes more strength to actuate the keys on the monka. --> I checked the specs of Monka sea salt switches, which is actually a tactile switch with actuation force of 45g. That means you need a lighter actuation force to use lesser strength for typing.

Not sure how to post audio to hwz, if anyone can advise me i can upload a short snippet of the typing sounds. --> you can upload them to cloud platforms like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, then get the file link for public viewing.

May switch out the switches and test it again, i.e. Monka's switches on the royal kludge board.
You can see my replies in bold to your questions.

Glad to see you are experimenting the keyboards and finding the switches you will settle for.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,034
Reaction score
8,286
Thanks both!

Seems like it should not be a major issue. But is it common for it not to be 100% PBT? Don't deny I was kind of disappointed when I see it was 80% and wanna return it

to me as long as the keycap
My brother handed this to me.(monsgeek)
He dislikes the pattern because it is too simple, and the switch is not noisy enough.
he wanted to buy nuphy KB
It's free, so I'll take it
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

sZ511k1.jpeg

r3M211o.jpeg

Q8r4j5x.jpeg


change the keycap to Gskill Crystal Crown keycap not sure this is nicer or original one is nicer
this KB is damn heavy!!
wsgUKS2.jpeg


well at least you made the backlit is useful by changing keycap :)
 

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
35,140
Reaction score
1,245
I just bought a 2nd hand Tecware RGB 104 keys mechanical red keyboard.. For $15.

My first mechanical keyboard! Not sure if good and value for money.

Anyone use this keyboard before???
 

Bardiel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
34,799
Reaction score
8,674
I just bought a 2nd hand Tecware RGB 104 keys mechanical red keyboard.. For $15.

My first mechanical keyboard! Not sure if good and value for money.

Anyone use this keyboard before???

its a good kb to be honest.

i got 1 like from 2019 as a gift. brown keys. kept in my store room as a backup keyboard
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top