RoboCop is recommissioned!

FlashBack

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2001
Messages
12,608
Reaction score
43
I was actually kinda pleasantly surprised by this remake. Wasn't expecting much from the trailers and promo posters, but it turned to be pretty decent.

Liked how the movie took time with the human and emotional aspect of the character, and not just a flashy action show. That being said, the action scenes could do with a bit more creativity. They felt largely similar across the whole movie.

ED209's kinda side-lined in the movie too.... :(
 

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
24,926
Reaction score
945
So is this an inferior version to the Paul Verhoeven classic?
Personally, I prefer the original. Cyber punk at its best.

This one felt less emotionally charged. They tried to include the moral and socio-political aspect in the movie. Juggled too many apples to me.

Gary Oldman was excellent here and Samuel L. Jackson had the best role as a media talkshow. I couldn't relate to Michael Keaton's character, couldn't decide whether he was just a greedy CEO, or a cunning and conniving one as well.

The last part, I don't quite understand why Robocop wanted to arrest Wells.

3/5
 

Preacher1010

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2001
Messages
12,282
Reaction score
1,496
and Samuel L. Jackson had the best role as a media talkshow. I couldn't relate to Michael Keaton's character, couldn't decide whether he was just a greedy CEO, or a cunning and conniving one as well.

if they switched the characters to be Jackson a villain instead, it could have raised the movie.
 

Swordsman

Banned
Joined
Jan 27, 2002
Messages
92,485
Reaction score
2,468
ya he hired snakeyes..
hot-toys-snake-eyes.jpg


robocop_2014.jpg-large

looks like got mutant cyclops siah.
 

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
69,566
Reaction score
20,106
I watched it last night. It's not bad actually I feel........................;)
 

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2004
Messages
18,172
Reaction score
0
I have watched it with my wife last Saturday night. In my opinion, there are some differences between the remake and the classic.

1) RoboCop moves normally in this remake. He even can run and jump like a normal human. In the classic, RoboCop moves really like a robot. Slow and sluggish.

2) RoboCop is commissioned in a hidden lab in China in this remake. In the classic, the cyborg is commissioned in a lab in the police department. Furthermore, the police in the remake seems to be employed by OmniCorp. In the classic, the police rejects OCP's influence.

3) In the remake, OmniCorp is a subsidiary of OCP. In the classic, OCP is the actual company that commissions RoboCop.

4) RoboCop is in the default color in the classic. The remake's RoboCop is black in color. But the color changed back to the silvery-white in the ending part.

5) In the remake, OmniCorp has dominated the world with its robotic machines. In the classic, there is no mention of machines used in the military.

6) RoboCop rides a bike in the remake. RoboCop has a hard time getting out of a police car in the classic. :D

I feel that the remake is not bad too! It has some elements of the classic but embedded more revolutionary ideas in it. It is a great gamble for the director in my opinion. I think the remake is not a terrible movie. Both, the remake and the classic, have their strong and weak points. The classic is more violent and bloody. The remake is not. :D

My rating --> 3.5/5
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
Damn terrible movie. I would not recommend it at all.
 

donut33

Master Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
3,147
Reaction score
15
Just watched the movie. Not so bad at all. Just felt that Samuel L Jackson role is too much. Should just let the story flow by itself instead of unnecessary news reporting stuffs.
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
Just watched the movie. Not so bad at all. Just felt that Samuel L Jackson role is too much. Should just let the story flow by itself instead of unnecessary news reporting stuffs.

The propaganda videos were the best part. Not so much the nonsensical story line and villain switching.
 

yes1705

Master Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
3,173
Reaction score
0
When I saw the trailer, Alex Murphy was blown up at his car. And then Murphy got reconstructed as Robocop.

This reminded me of Stephen Chow's 百變星君 (Sixty Million Dollar Man) movie.

I wonder if his head and his right hand was all that is left of Murphy used to build into Robocop? :p
 

Preacher1010

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2001
Messages
12,282
Reaction score
1,496
The propaganda videos were the best part. Not so much the nonsensical story line and villain switching.

i agree. scenes with Samuel L Jackson added a +1 to my rating of 5/10.
but still think he should be made the villain - iirc the last villain he played was as a pyscho cop years ago - cant remember that movie
 

Swordsman

Banned
Joined
Jan 27, 2002
Messages
92,485
Reaction score
2,468
i agree. scenes with Samuel L Jackson added a +1 to my rating of 5/10.
but still think he should be made the villain - iirc the last villain he played was as a pyscho cop years ago - cant remember that movie


with kevin spacey is it ?
 

DemonReaver

Banned
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
663
Classic robocop was more brutal, esp when murphy was murdered amd gunned down..but best robocop movie still part 2 for me.
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
This article hits the nail. Paul Verhoeven is a master in inserting satire in his actioners.

RoboCop: wanted for serious crimes against cinema | Film | theguardian.com

The remakes miss the mark entirely.

Following in his footseps is Zack Snyder with his Sucker Punch which like Paul Verhoeven's movies are panned by critics because they fail to understand it. Very subtle satire throughout Sucker Punch.
 

Adi Dassler

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
44,241
Reaction score
2,029
Not bad movie for a remake. Just a bit disappointed with the little action scenes.

Are there plans for a part 2 or a trilogy?
 

Adi Dassler

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
44,241
Reaction score
2,029
The name 'robocop' wasn't mentioned anytime in the movie. At least this is wat I recall. Only remember he was referred to as Alex Murphy or 'tin' man
 

kampong boi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
76,626
Reaction score
4
When I was young I watched the first Robocop, and until now I still like the song, why the remake don't have I have no idea.

 

xjasonz

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 11, 2004
Messages
7,641
Reaction score
1
this remake is a compression of the original 3 trilogy. It took 3 episodes previously to address the issue of morality and should they let it be Alex Murphy or just plain Robocop.

In the previous 3 episodes, it was mentioned over and over again for Alex Murphy to go through rehab the moment he gains a bit of human conscious. And he was constantly reminded that he is a robot.

And for this episode of remake, they addressed the issue totally by letting Murphy's wife decide the outcome and then later on trying to erase that.

I would say, I enjoy all the 3 episodes and this remake. Its something refreshing.

I believe, for all remakes or reboots, one should actually watch it with an open mind first without comparing with the original.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top