Share your retirement strategy

qhong61

Banned
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
73,041
Reaction score
12,227
I am already retired. Took early retirement since 1.5 years ago, don't foresee going back to work, maybe do another business later.

My retirement is funded 100% from returns on my investment portfolio, mainly equity, bonds, pe, hedge funds, etc. In a good year, my returns covers much more than my expenses. In a crappy year like 2015, I barely break even due to a bond default. :(
what's ur age?
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
4,070
I feel it's a good idea to max out CPF SA after it becomes clear that your investment ability is OK n your portfolio doing well. Then u can retire based on cash portfolio n CPF is a bonus.

A lot of those that speeded up their retirement, luck is also involved. I was almost all in during the last GFC and it really helped me get closer to retirement target.
 
Last edited:

1nd3x1nv3stor

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2014
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
I see many died at 60plus. Not likely many can live above even 90 at present time.

My colea fren father if he able to take out cpf monies to eat likely to last him for some time. Probably he might not even outlast his cpf monies. So whats the point he has cpf monies but cant use his own monies at all when he needs them? I think thats the point my colea is driving across. I think quite true to an extent also lar.

For me, I don't worry about not using up all CPF money when I died.
I worry more on not having money when I am still alive (and old and jobless).
:)
 

focus1974

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
91,141
Reaction score
32,773
I retired when i was 33yrs old in 2007... barely worked for 7-8yrs.... got in at the correct property cycle... and cashed out correctly.

now i am also depending on my coupon/dividend payout to sustain my expenses . The properties i have are still leveraged and that is for capital appreciation in 10-20yrs time.

having dealt with both properties and equities/bond.. i can say it's more probable and possible for an ordinary investor to become a millionaire thru properties(owing to the leverage effect). So, for most youngsters, i think it's best to save aggressively and buy that 1st property early (best if you can buy a HDB BTO).

Once you have that HDB BTO, assuming a degree couple, you can easily pay it off by 10-15yrs time and become debt free (if you want). And basically, from there on, you could have a lot of options to invest, to "migrate" and rent out your HDB or to really migrate by cashing out of your HDB and CPF(which should be able to hit a cool million dollars)

I am also in the camp of keeping minimum amount inside your CPF OA/SA. It's only my money when i can control it and not subject to rules and regulation changes.
 
Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
8,686
Reaction score
576
Among my cohort in U of about 230 of us, only 1 is dead. We are all above 64 to 68. So it's not easy to die by 65. Don't know whether any of them still doing it at least once a week like me.

For records, my dad passed away before 40yrs old and my mum before 70yrs old. So i dont expect myself to go very far.
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
4,070
It depends, widen your social circle and you will witness many people relaxing and actively pursuing their hobbies only.


Some of them may be living off their spouse salary like mummy1234 husband. Does that count?
 

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
8,686
Reaction score
576
I retired when i was 33yrs old in 2007... barely worked for 7-8yrs.... got in at the correct property cycle... and cashed out correctly.

now i am also depending on my coupon/dividend payout to sustain my expenses . The properties i have are still leveraged and that is for capital appreciation in 10-20yrs time.

having dealt with both properties and equities/bond.. i can say it's more probable and possible for an ordinary investor to become a millionaire thru properties(owing to the leverage effect). So, for most youngsters, i think it's best to save aggressively and buy that 1st property early (best if you can buy a HDB BTO).

Once you have that HDB BTO, assuming a degree couple, you can easily pay it off by 10-15yrs time and become debt free (if you want). And basically, from there on, you could have a lot of options to invest, to "migrate" and rent out your HDB or to really migrate by cashing out of your HDB and CPF(which should be able to hit a cool million dollars)

I am also in the camp of keeping minimum amount inside your CPF OA/SA. It's only my money when i can control it and not subject to rules and regulation changes.

Thats what my colleague strongly pointed out that the cpf monies belong to her fren father so why cant he be allowed to take out and use since he dont even have monies to buy food NOW? Also told me many old ple bang tables at cpf building. Duno true or not. I think her fren father belong to the lower class maybe bottom 10%.
 

Genosis

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2015
Messages
10,104
Reaction score
6
is there really such thing as retirement in sg?

If u look at the crowd of uncles and aunties thronging the shopping malls at odd hours of the day, you will be surprised how many early retirees/ semi-retirees there are in Singapore. :s22:
 

Bedokian

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
2,196
Reaction score
7
If u look at the crowd of uncles and aunties thronging the shopping malls at odd hours of the day, you will be surprised how many early retirees/ semi-retirees there are in Singapore. :s22:

There are many, not to mention some younger ones who are probably in their 30s to 50s. You wouldn't know unless they told you.
 

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
16,161
Reaction score
864
For records, my dad passed away before 40yrs old and my mum before 70yrs old. So i dont expect myself to go very far.

:sad::sad:

You better spend what you have.

My mum also gone at 46. But dad going 89 and he got 3 sis ahead of him at 92, 93 and 94.
 

wondrdoggie

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
739
Reaction score
1
Any kids? Hard to imagine to retire so young with kids

No kids, just the 2 of us. I didn't make my money via properties like focus1974, mine was via a business which got acquired by an US mnc. Our deal was one of the largest for our industry at that point of time but the record has been broken since. :) Anyway, I cashed out and decided to retire. I don't know if this retirement is permanent yet. But I do realize that if you have sufficient base, it's possible to generate enough to not work very comfortably. I am not alone, I know many other not so old people like myself also taking this path.

Early retirement, on the other hand, is another set of challenges. Especially with no kids or major responsibilities. It's a dream for many, but self worth and feeling useless is a real issue.
 

highsulphur

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
77,953
Reaction score
40,435
No kids, just the 2 of us. I didn't make my money via properties like focus1974, mine was via a business which got acquired by an US mnc. Our deal was one of the largest for our industry at that point of time but the record has been broken since. :) Anyway, I cashed out and decided to retire. I don't know if this retirement is permanent yet. But I do realize that if you have sufficient base, it's possible to generate enough to not work very comfortably. I am not alone, I know many other not so old people like myself also taking this path.

Early retirement, on the other hand, is another set of challenges. Especially with no kids or major responsibilities. It's a dream for many, but self worth and feeling useless is a real issue.

You can always come out and buy me a beer :)
 

RM2SSG

Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
No kids, just the 2 of us. I didn't make my money via properties like focus1974, mine was via a business which got acquired by an US mnc. Our deal was one of the largest for our industry at that point of time but the record has been broken since. :) Anyway, I cashed out and decided to retire. I don't know if this retirement is permanent yet. But I do realize that if you have sufficient base, it's possible to generate enough to not work very comfortably. I am not alone, I know many other not so old people like myself also taking this path.

Early retirement, on the other hand, is another set of challenges. Especially with no kids or major responsibilities. It's a dream for many, but self worth and feeling useless is a real issue.

What I hope to do when I finally retire is to:

1. Pursue a hobby and do it to perfection. For e.g., if I am into say photography, I'd spend bulk of my time learning and practising until the outcome is perfect.

2. Offer part of my time to do some sort of community work. I am not someone who could spend countless hours tending to people's needs like cleaning their houses etc, so, I have yet to find a way I could contribute, may be teach free classes on area I consider myself good at.

3. Travel with my spouse if we physically still able to

4. Won't give a s**t what other think of me.

:D
 

shareholder

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2015
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
2
Early retirement, on the other hand, is another set of challenges. Especially with no kids or major responsibilities. It's a dream for many, but self worth and feeling useless is a real issue.

How can self worth and feeling useless be an issue? There are so many things to pursue, even keeping oneself healthy can take up a good half day.
 

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,435
Reaction score
76
How can self worth and feeling useless be an issue? There are so many things to pursue, even keeping oneself healthy can take up a good half day.

Work gives people a sense of identity, not just an issue of killing time. It's not just the big shots who feel they lose their identity if they don't work; normal people also. If you read the obituaries, you might see people list "former employee of XXX".

I don't think I can do what focus1974 suggest and go via the property route. I am too late for it and did not have the opportunity of buying a HDB BTO. Sad.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top