Share your retirement strategy

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,435
Reaction score
76
Anyway, for those who have the luxury of retiring early, there could be two things they could do. (based on what I have seen of my ex-bosses, senior people who were laid off)

1) One of them now heads the board of a charity. He runs it like a tight ship/company which I think benefits from his years of corporate experience.

2) Another one is into angel investing and business mentorship. Helps to keep him in touch with the industry, make a little money on the side. But must be realistic on the returns and the temptation to micro-manage the investee.
 

shareholder

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2015
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
2
Work gives people a sense of identity, not just an issue of killing time. It's not just the big shots who feel they lose their identity if they don't work; normal people also. If you read the obituaries, you might see people list "former employee of XXX".

I don't think I can do what focus1974 suggest and go via the property route. I am too late for it and did not have the opportunity of buying a HDB BTO. Sad.

As a shareholder, that's one of the identity. But occasionally can change to pianist, cyclist, skater, gamer, etc to add to the variety.
 

wts2013

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2013
Messages
2,780
Reaction score
0
Shooo sakti yet feeling no self worth and useless. So sad but thats life. I see u good but you see me good.

hahaha, it only shows she cannot think positive and dunno how to enjoy life hahaha, or just trolling lor cos few mths back she was here promoting drwealth if moi not wrong, hahaha
 
Last edited:

shareholder

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2015
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
2
Most people spend their whole life pursuing wealth, that's why when they become rich, life suddenly becomes empty. After training the brain to chase after money for so many years, do you think it is easy to change? That's the side effect, there is need to unprogram the habit, or else it is difficult to truly enjoy life. Ask some rich men why they are so stingy with their money, they can't explain, the act itself has become so ingrained. They have become the money robot.
 

highsulphur

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
77,958
Reaction score
40,437
Funny thing is I don't drink, smoke or gamble. I also don't womanise because I am female. My only vices are good coffee, good traveling and pretty things like watches and jewelries. :D

You can still buy me a drink :D

Well it's nice to be financially free. Your friends are probably envious anyway
 

highsulphur

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
77,958
Reaction score
40,437
In my case, I would probably have left my industry by now if I don't have kids. So it's retirement from the industry but I'll probably try something else like social work or teaching.
 

01asdf

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2015
Messages
9,251
Reaction score
1
Yar its true. My boss are such ple. Very stingy to the max. Elite but no branded bags no branded clothes. Even go on holidays dont spend much. Everything diy or choose the cheapest. I see alry feel so pathetic. Being hard on oneself even when reach that status. Rich in monies but not in character. Sad leh.
It's pretty sad that you equate character with owning branded goods and spending on holidays.

Just saying...
 

frenchbriefs

Banned
Joined
Jun 12, 2011
Messages
45,422
Reaction score
5
Most people spend their whole life pursuing wealth, that's why when they become rich, life suddenly becomes empty. After training the brain to chase after money for so many years, do you think it is easy to change? That's the side effect, there is need to unprogram the habit, or else it is difficult to truly enjoy life. Ask some rich men why they are so stingy with their money, they can't explain, the act itself has become so ingrained. They have become the money robot.

maybe its their character,maybe they grew up in a poor and impoverished family,and being frugal is a natural part of their character.maybe they grew up in era of depression or recession or developing country,maybe they washed clothes and underwear by hand like LKY that even as a adult for years he still wash his underwear by hands according to Lee Wei Ling.maybe they are uncomfortable with ostentatious displays of wealth,they like to dress like the man on the street,u heard of IT and computer millionaires and billionaires that still wear tshirts and shorts long after they got rich,like steve wozniak.maybe they respect money and were taught to respect money by their working class parents.why should spending loads and loads of money make u happy,if u are already contented with your lifestyle and who u are?

this is a guy who when he is still alive,gave away his entire fortune,all 1.3 billion of it,such that the course of ireland his motherland,and the history of the world was changed forever.he was 50 years old then in the 1970s,hes 80 years old now.

 
Last edited:

shareholder

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2015
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
2
maybe its their character,maybe they grew up in a poor and impoverished family,and being frugal is a natural part of their character.maybe they grew up in era of depression or recession or developing country,maybe they washed clothes and underwear by hand like LKY that even as a adult for years he still wash his underwear by hands according to Lee Wei Ling.maybe they are uncomfortable with ostentatious displays of wealth,they like to dress like the man on the street,u heard of IT and computer millionaires and billionaires that still wear tshirts and shorts long after they got rich,like steve wozniak.maybe they respect money and were taught to respect money by their working class parents.why should spending loads and loads of money make u happy,if u are already contented with your lifestyle and who u are?

this is a guy who when he is still alive,gave away his entire fortune,all 1.3 billion of it,such that the course of ireland his motherland,and the history of the world was changed forever.he was 50 years old then in the 1970s,hes 80 years old now.


Precisely the point. The years of upbringing or environment has made the man, the mold is formed. How to break free? What is the key to Happiness?
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
4,071
If this discussion is really, really about how money can't buy happiness, great.

I just hope its not about someone who puts all his money into one counter, market crash, sitting on large losses, then makes excuse for his lack of investment common sense by saying that at least I am happy, and money can't buy happiness.=:p

While money can't buy happiness, there is always satisfaction in doing something well, it can be your job, a hobby like photography, raising children, or being able to manage your finances and investment portfolio.

Since this is money mind, a valid question is whether you are satisfied (or happy) with the way you have managed your finances/investments. Could you have done better? Are you willing to work at improving yourself in this area. By improving yourself, will you make yourself happier?

I am glad that I learnt something about investment and took charge of my investments (rather than leaving it to a fund manager/insurance agent/bank RM etc) and I am 'happier' as a result. It was a bit of luck that this happened around the last GFC.
 

wondrdoggie

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
739
Reaction score
1
hahaha, it only shows she cannot think positive and dunno how to enjoy life hahaha, or just trolling lor cos few mths back she was here promoting drwealth if moi not wrong, hahaha

I am a pretty positive person actually. What I am referring to is the lack of something to chew on intellectually everyday and a sense of purpose and achievement and identity associated with either employment or running a business. I am not unhappy.

DrWealth is one of my investments along with a few other companies. I am not a troll. :) I thought it was relevant so I talked about it in this forum. And in reply to another user who suggested running charities or advising startups, I am trying to do the latter. But advising and investing in startups is not the same as working in the trenches. I have to protect my investment and yet make sure I don't get in the way of the founders/mgt. Tough balancing act..
 

shareholder

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2015
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
2
I am a pretty positive person actually. What I am referring to is the lack of something to chew on intellectually everyday and a sense of purpose and achievement and identity associated with either employment or running a business.

Can this sense of identity really be found in employment or running a business? Personally, have never found it there. The good old days of studying during sec, jc and uni was when there was some form of intellectual growth. After that, a dull stagnant phase starts to set in. Maybe the key is continuous learning. Keep doing new stuffs, and learning new skills. Or maybe the key is increasing awareness, such that even doing mundane stuff becomes new and alive again.
 

focus1974

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
91,140
Reaction score
32,773
I think wondrodoggie is still relevant in society.
She is coontributing to new startups and sharing her expertise.

It's like last time she run a business with XX mil turnover and got alot of corporate contacts and in charge of a few hundred employees(?) versus her current state... she definitely will feel less "useful".

But if I had her few startups and ability to share my "expertise"(which i have none), then I would still be feeling useful as compared to my earlier jobs.

So it's all about perspectives...imho
 

mummy1234

Banned
Joined
Jan 30, 2014
Messages
17,103
Reaction score
31
Congrats to Focus1974 and wondrdoggie on your early retirement and financial freedom.....

For me, if I retire early, I would spend more time volunteering in church and going on Mission trips as I had wanted to be a missionary but was advised to go to medical school instead when I was 18 years old by my dad....so it would be fulfilling my childhood dream...
 

frenchbriefs

Banned
Joined
Jun 12, 2011
Messages
45,422
Reaction score
5
Precisely the point. The years of upbringing or environment has made the man, the mold is formed. How to break free? What is the key to Happiness?

what is happiness?what is the meaning of our lives?does anything you do have a meaning or purpose?it takes light from the stars millions of years to reach us,what we are seeing has already occured thousands of years ago,our lives will be over in a thousandth of a fraction of that.who will remember us then?who will even know we even existed?our lives are less valuable than dust.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top