So I cannot get a self-assembly PC to work..

MightyPigeon

Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
482
Reaction score
8
I have decided to be gung-ho and assemble a PC after 10 years of being on Mac. Lo and behold, motherboard can fire up but no display and GPU fans not spinning.

Is there a suitable shop in Sim Lim who can provide re-assembly service?
 

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
15,543
Reaction score
266
have you plugged in the 4 or 8 pin CPU ATX power connector? and the GPU power connector if there is any?
 

hansenhon

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Messages
288
Reaction score
0
connect to correct output from GPU?

Sometime also need to select to input source from the monitor. I had once same thing happen just because the monitor need to select the input (had another input from PS4 hdmi which connected at the same time).

picture will be great for the guru to help.. maybe also list of hardware?
 

timpeh82

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
1,844
Reaction score
0
go sim lin level 4 or level 5 shops will be able to assist you with $20 to $40 service charge.
:)
 

hamustar

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
254
Reaction score
0
Snap a top view of your mobo and parts and lots of desktop warriors here can diagnose the problem .
 

MightyPigeon

Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
482
Reaction score
8
The setup is at home and I end work slightly later than desired. Will post some pics tonight.

The PSU is EVGA Gold 550W.
I use the PSU cable (with VGA) labelled to connect to Palit 970.
The GPU has 2 x 6 power inputs, so I plug both.

All the system fans, led, casing lighting, keyboard and mouse have light, but my display is cannot detect any input.
I have tried both mobo and GPU hdmi slots, but detects nothing.
 

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
35,380
Reaction score
402
CPU power connector got plug in right?

Have you tried testing monitor with other devices like notebook?
 

Antihack1

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2012
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Did you try pressing the reset button on your PC? Cause that's what happened to me when I just built my rig. Turns out I forgot to change the boot drive in BIOS cause I installed OS using thumbdrive, so boot drive was set to use the USB. :s22: If you managed to boot in after you did the above, next time if you do a cold startup and same thing happens and you need to press reset again to have display.. then maybe it might be cause somehow your PC cannot read the drive fast enough so windows cannot load. Can try to disable some fast startup under power options.
 

extemporisation

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
696
Reaction score
5
Had the same symptoms as you last Sunday. That was my first time assembling a PC again after many years on a Mac.

Turned out that the HDMI cable that I used was spoilt. When I swapped to other HDMI and DVI cables, everything worked fine.

Perhaps you can try changing to another cable?

The setup is at home and I end work slightly later than desired. Will post some pics tonight.

The PSU is EVGA Gold 550W.
I use the PSU cable (with VGA) labelled to connect to Palit 970.
The GPU has 2 x 6 power inputs, so I plug both.

All the system fans, led, casing lighting, keyboard and mouse have light, but my display is cannot detect any input.
I have tried both mobo and GPU hdmi slots, but detects nothing.
 

undead102

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2006
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
0
Near your cpu heat sink fan there should be a 4 or 8 pin hole that needs to be plug in to supply power to the cpu. It's the cpu power connector. Check if you have plug it in .
 

MightyPigeon

Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
482
Reaction score
8
DCKHDjI.jpg


This is the photo. Are we missing something?
 

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
35,380
Reaction score
402
DCKHDjI.jpg


This is the photo. Are we missing something?

Bro i really think you pa jiao... :look:

The setup is at home and I end work slightly later than desired. Will post some pics tonight.

The PSU is EVGA Gold 550W.
I use the PSU cable (with VGA) labelled to connect to Palit 970.
The GPU has 2 x 6 power inputs, so I plug both.

All the system fans, led, casing lighting, keyboard and mouse have light, but my display is cannot detect any input.
I have tried both mobo and GPU hdmi slots, but detects nothing.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top