Sony Xperia 5II

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
wow.. your XZs still alive? (except battery)

Thanks! Yeah, it is still alive but a bit laggy when surifing net via Firefox nowadays. Still can play Love Live All Stars but a bit laggy too and I shifted back to my iPad Pro for that to preserve whatever battery lifespan left

Actually, the general longer lifespan and relevancy of usage to me of all Xperia phones that I use so far (XZs, Z3 Compact, Xperia Z) is one very big reason why I am sticking with the Xperia this time. I got at least 3 years out of my Z3 Compact before its battery bloated and my XZs is in its 4th year, battery bloated about a few months ago though.

Its familiarity with Japanese apps that I will be using. 3.5mm jack, microSD slot, and generally a much cleaner design language in hardware and software are big push points too. I held off from replacing my XZs earlier in 2019 when Xperia lost its way and Sony Singapore pulled out of the mobile market, but its recent resurgeance here has finally made me reconsider holding back any further so here I am lol

5III will be costly. Lets say predict around $200 less than xperia 1III it will be $1699 during launch. And predict start sales around September period (if everything goes well and not snatched up sales by China or other disasters / lock down ) so you need to prepare/ make that amount as well as wait around that time and even longer. Up to you for consideration.

Thank you, these factors are indeed in my mind too when I am deciding. Having my XZs being at least more usable than before with said bloated battery help me think a bit more rationally but I still need some help seeing if I making sense or not

5 II: Looks really good since has no heat issues unlike SD 888 and cheapest out of these. But the 5G bands feel incomplete compared to any of the III phones (remember that I will like to hold onto the next phone for 3 years minimum so got chance I will want it to work with 5G properly). Also I need to buy as soon as next week lest OOS, which means my finances will be tighter than what I prefer.

5 III: Waiting time and supply issues as mentioned. I think SD 888 issues would be largely mitigated by how little 5 III would push the chip compared to the 1 III. Will be the easiest on my finances in terms of timing

1 III: Quite costly and some reports of heat issues in Xperia subreddit. Then again, maybe going big may be good for me? I do think that Sony will be able to handle the heat with future patches

(yes, I have read the threads here especially about SD 888's issues but still trying to see how relevant it should be in making my decision)
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
the II series dont have 5G support in sg..

That's why I quite hesistant to get the II series at the current prices; they are as good as 4G phones imo. On the other hand, I still unsure how bad the SD 888 issues are when actual users are using
 

Toader

Master Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2006
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
882
Thanks! Yeah, it is still alive but a bit laggy when surifing net via Firefox nowadays. Still can play Love Live All Stars but a bit laggy too and I shifted back to my iPad Pro for that to preserve whatever battery lifespan left

Actually, the general longer lifespan and relevancy of usage to me of all Xperia phones that I use so far (XZs, Z3 Compact, Xperia Z) is one very big reason why I am sticking with the Xperia this time. I got at least 3 years out of my Z3 Compact before its battery bloated and my XZs is in its 4th year, battery bloated about a few months ago though.

Its familiarity with Japanese apps that I will be using. 3.5mm jack, microSD slot, and generally a much cleaner design language in hardware and software are big push points too. I held off from replacing my XZs earlier in 2019 when Xperia lost its way and Sony Singapore pulled out of the mobile market, but its recent resurgeance here has finally made me reconsider holding back any further so here I am lol



Thank you, these factors are indeed in my mind too when I am deciding. Having my XZs being at least more usable than before with said bloated battery help me think a bit more rationally but I still need some help seeing if I making sense or not

5 II: Looks really good since has no heat issues unlike SD 888 and cheapest out of these. But the 5G bands feel incomplete compared to any of the III phones (remember that I will like to hold onto the next phone for 3 years minimum so got chance I will want it to work with 5G properly). Also I need to buy as soon as next week lest OOS, which means my finances will be tighter than what I prefer.

5 III: Waiting time and supply issues as mentioned. I think SD 888 issues would be largely mitigated by how little 5 III would push the chip compared to the 1 III. Will be the easiest on my finances in terms of timing

1 III: Quite costly and some reports of heat issues in Xperia subreddit. Then again, maybe going big may be good for me? I do think that Sony will be able to handle the heat with future patches

(yes, I have read the threads here especially about SD 888's issues but still trying to see how relevant it should be in making my decision)
For 5g network it still super infant stage. (With world politics with sanctions against Huawei as well as COVID19 ) likely at least another 2 years. So actually 5g is nothing to hype about currently. AND its even slower than 4g network currently.

As for snapdragon 888 heating, in Japan they posted a news stating the new firmware improve heating issues and prolonging battery life to around 50 percent
https://sumahodigest.com/?p=1811
Also take note if you like to take photos /job related to shoot during sunny day , the mark II series display can see, but not very well.
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
For 5g network it still super infant stage. (With world politics with sanctions against Huawei as well as COVID19 ) likely at least another 2 years. So actually 5g is nothing to hype about currently. AND its even slower than 4g network currently.

As for snapdragon 888 heating, in Japan they posted a news stating the new firmware improve heating issues and prolonging battery life to around 50 percent
https://sumahodigest.com/?p=1811
Also take note if you like to take photos /job related to shoot during sunny day , the mark II series display can see, but not very well.
Good point about 5G, sounds like it should not have that much of a weightage in my decision making? Though I still think it's a pity that IMDA considers only the Mark III devices onwards to be 5G devices

Thanks for the Japanese reports on the SD 888, I'll use that as a start to dig for more of such reports; I wasn't sure what Japanese terms to use for that. Sounds like Sony made good use of the delay to at least mitigate the issues via software

As for the Mark II display not being good in sunny weather, thanks for reminding me since I do have this issue with my XZs too, forcing me to maximise brightness and therefore using more battery. Aside from testing this in the field, how else does one know whether the display will be good in sunny weather or not (i.e. what part of the specs sheet should I focus on) and how much of an improvement the Mark III has compared to Mark II?
 

Toader

Master Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2006
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
882
Good point about 5G, sounds like it should not have that much of a weightage in my decision making? Though I still think it's a pity that IMDA considers only the Mark III devices onwards to be 5G devices

Thanks for the Japanese reports on the SD 888, I'll use that as a start to dig for more of such reports; I wasn't sure what Japanese terms to use for that. Sounds like Sony made good use of the delay to at least mitigate the issues via software

As for the Mark II display not being good in sunny weather, thanks for reminding me since I do have this issue with my XZs too, forcing me to maximise brightness and therefore using more battery. Aside from testing this in the field, how else does one know whether the display will be good in sunny weather or not (i.e. what part of the specs sheet should I focus on) and how much of an improvement the Mark III has compared to Mark II?
Using this video compare should be similar to the xperia 5II and 5III besides some functions not available in xperia 1III

 

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
7,258
Reaction score
224
Thanks! Yeah, it is still alive but a bit laggy when surifing net via Firefox nowadays. Still can play Love Live All Stars but a bit laggy too and I shifted back to my iPad Pro for that to preserve whatever battery lifespan left

Actually, the general longer lifespan and relevancy of usage to me of all Xperia phones that I use so far (XZs, Z3 Compact, Xperia Z) is one very big reason why I am sticking with the Xperia this time. I got at least 3 years out of my Z3 Compact before its battery bloated and my XZs is in its 4th year, battery bloated about a few months ago though.

Its familiarity with Japanese apps that I will be using. 3.5mm jack, microSD slot, and generally a much cleaner design language in hardware and software are big push points too. I held off from replacing my XZs earlier in 2019 when Xperia lost its way and Sony Singapore pulled out of the mobile market, but its recent resurgeance here has finally made me reconsider holding back any further so here I am lol



Thank you, these factors are indeed in my mind too when I am deciding. Having my XZs being at least more usable than before with said bloated battery help me think a bit more rationally but I still need some help seeing if I making sense or not

5 II: Looks really good since has no heat issues unlike SD 888 and cheapest out of these. But the 5G bands feel incomplete compared to any of the III phones (remember that I will like to hold onto the next phone for 3 years minimum so got chance I will want it to work with 5G properly). Also I need to buy as soon as next week lest OOS, which means my finances will be tighter than what I prefer.

5 III: Waiting time and supply issues as mentioned. I think SD 888 issues would be largely mitigated by how little 5 III would push the chip compared to the 1 III. Will be the easiest on my finances in terms of timing

1 III: Quite costly and some reports of heat issues in Xperia subreddit. Then again, maybe going big may be good for me? I do think that Sony will be able to handle the heat with future patches

(yes, I have read the threads here especially about SD 888's issues but still trying to see how relevant it should be in making my decision)

I think bloated battery is usually the case with overheating the battery, some were caused by overcharging while others were using fast charging.

There is no right or wrong to seek 5G phones in this age, even if the telcos are only obligated to have nationwide 5G coverage by end of 2025. The practical signs that you can check now is, if you are experiencing any issues with 4G/3G network at this time. If the answer is no, then you are probably not missing out much on 5G since the main upgrade is not only the higher speed but most importantly the lower latency and bandwith. Most people have little to no issues on 4G so they are not missing out too much without 5G.

IMO, the newer SD 888 issues will not go away if you are heavily into games. The makers could introduce update for efficient performance for most apps but games will usually push more on the chip which may result in more heat and degrades battery faster. The older SD 865 is no slouch and a better bet if you are not aiming for the best, and a proven good formula for performance and battery life.

Last time I checked, official online store is selling 5 II for $1199.
No more pink and black. Only left blue stocks.

https://store.sony.com.sg/products/xperia-5ii?variant=36384494682267
Unofficial/export sets are even cheaper, could save probably up to $400 or $500 compared to buying 5 III, that may only be available around September.

You could consider both. Paying more for better performance and battery, or pay less for a proven good phone with minor compromises.
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
Using this video compare should be similar to the xperia 5II and 5III besides some functions not available in xperia 1III



Thank you, this video is good. I am quite convinced that third time's the charm! That part showing the outdoor usage is quite useful, I'll go see if there are more reviews about that

I think bloated battery is usually the case with overheating the battery, some were caused by overcharging while others were using fast charging.

There is no right or wrong to seek 5G phones in this age, even if the telcos are only obligated to have nationwide 5G coverage by end of 2025. The practical signs that you can check now is, if you are experiencing any issues with 4G/3G network at this time. If the answer is no, then you are probably not missing out much on 5G since the main upgrade is not only the higher speed but most importantly the lower latency and bandwith. Most people have little to no issues on 4G so they are not missing out too much without 5G.

IMO, the newer SD 888 issues will not go away if you are heavily into games. The makers could introduce update for efficient performance for most apps but games will usually push more on the chip which may result in more heat and degrades battery faster. The older SD 865 is no slouch and a better bet if you are not aiming for the best, and a proven good formula for performance and battery life.

Last time I checked, official online store is selling 5 II for $1199.
No more pink and black. Only left blue stocks.

https://store.sony.com.sg/products/xperia-5ii?variant=36384494682267
Unofficial/export sets are even cheaper, could save probably up to $400 or $500 compared to buying 5 III, that may only be available around September.

You could consider both. Paying more for better performance and battery, or pay less for a proven good phone with minor compromises.

Admittedly, yes, I been charging the battery overnight everyday, which most probably caused the eventual bloated battery issues.

As for 5G, yeah, I am on MVNOs now (MyRepublic/Circles.Life/GOMO) so it shouldn't be that big of an issue except if somehow I decide to go for one of the big telcos offering them. It's me being picky to be honest (i.e. that "why should I go for a solution that I know that it is half instead of a fuller solution" kind of feeling) Right now with my XZs, I notice some buildings got issue getting 4G but I am chalking that up to phone age and/or telco issues

As for the SD 888. while yes I will be gaming, it won't be that heavy since most of my games are in my iPad Pro. It is not easy to transfer to and back the accounts of the games so I do not forsee much gaming. I think I will be using the phone more as a discreet photography/videography solution along with letting me watch videos on the go. I think the SD 888 issues will not show up that easily due to this use case, I hope.

I see that there is a new patch for the 1 III that helped a lot with the heat issues, so I am less worried about it now. I have had good experience with Sony's patches so I can forsee better performance as things goes?

I just checked the official online store, all 5 II units are sold out. I am also not comfortable with export/unofficial sets since this will be my daily driver. So if I am still going for the 5 II, will have to try my luck at the brick and mortar Sony stores I guess.

Thanks, what you mentioned is correct; all options are good; it's now up to my risk tolerance and of course, finances. :p
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
Xperia 5 II is no longer selectable in Sony Singapore official webshop as of now but I do see them being displayed in Sony Wisma
 

JuXn5566

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
32
I am glad I got the phone in March. I feel Xperia 5 III don't have any significant upgrade and could be worst due to hotter Snapdragon 888 Soc.
 

connected

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
124
Reaction score
3
Anyone using export set here? How's the experience like?
No 5G, smooth as butter for everything else.

Main use is to take children photos, everything is so fast and AutoFocus is really good esp when you have many children running together in the frame.

Protective Casing choices, get from Amazon JP, cheap one does the work but better be safe than sorry.

Other than virtually no warranty, everything else is the same.

Got mine as HK set, so far no issue.
 

Tenpai

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2019
Messages
5,644
Reaction score
3,457
Thanks! Yeah, it is still alive but a bit laggy when surifing net via Firefox nowadays. Still can play Love Live All Stars but a bit laggy too and I shifted back to my iPad Pro for that to preserve whatever battery lifespan left

Actually, the general longer lifespan and relevancy of usage to me of all Xperia phones that I use so far (XZs, Z3 Compact, Xperia Z) is one very big reason why I am sticking with the Xperia this time. I got at least 3 years out of my Z3 Compact before its battery bloated and my XZs is in its 4th year, battery bloated about a few months ago though.

Its familiarity with Japanese apps that I will be using. 3.5mm jack, microSD slot, and generally a much cleaner design language in hardware and software are big push points too. I held off from replacing my XZs earlier in 2019 when Xperia lost its way and Sony Singapore pulled out of the mobile market, but its recent resurgeance here has finally made me reconsider holding back any further so here I am lol



Thank you, these factors are indeed in my mind too when I am deciding. Having my XZs being at least more usable than before with said bloated battery help me think a bit more rationally but I still need some help seeing if I making sense or not

5 II: Looks really good since has no heat issues unlike SD 888 and cheapest out of these. But the 5G bands feel incomplete compared to any of the III phones (remember that I will like to hold onto the next phone for 3 years minimum so got chance I will want it to work with 5G properly). Also I need to buy as soon as next week lest OOS, which means my finances will be tighter than what I prefer.

5 III: Waiting time and supply issues as mentioned. I think SD 888 issues would be largely mitigated by how little 5 III would push the chip compared to the 1 III. Will be the easiest on my finances in terms of timing

1 III: Quite costly and some reports of heat issues in Xperia subreddit. Then again, maybe going big may be good for me? I do think that Sony will be able to handle the heat with future patches

(yes, I have read the threads here especially about SD 888's issues but still trying to see how relevant it should be in making my decision)
I have the same thoughts as you. The smartphone brand that I like for Android is Sony because of its smoothness. Other than Sony, I rather use iPhone
 

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
6,922
Reaction score
675
This page very quiet. lol

GC6eRtb.jpg
 

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
6,922
Reaction score
675
congrats!
lol yeah very quiet here
are you gonna make a review of 5 III ? will be looking forward to that haha
yeah. will probably do a review, but probably next year liao. lol.

by the way, i bought screen protector from this local seller a while back, and it doesn't fit well. front camera area doesn't adhere properly. if i fit to the display area and to bottom speaker, the top part protrudes out a tiny bit more than it should. My guess is they selling the 5 ii glass as the 5 iii, since on paper the 5 iii is 1mm shorter. waiting for them to get back to me on shopee. i already confirmed order received, so even if they refuse to take responsibility I also LLST. and i bought 2 pieces. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ will give them some time before i update my feedback for the item (hopefully still can). So meanwhile, just want to steer people away from this.


https://shopee.sg/-SG-In-Stock-Sony...4?sp_atk=cbf2f335-3f75-4797-becb-2be480276385
7ju5Fw9.jpg
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
No 5G, smooth as butter for everything else.

Main use is to take children photos, everything is so fast and AutoFocus is really good esp when you have many children running together in the frame.

Protective Casing choices, get from Amazon JP, cheap one does the work but better be safe than sorry.

Other than virtually no warranty, everything else is the same.

Got mine as HK set, so far no issue.
Thanks, just a bit nervous about the lack of warranty cos my luck with electronics can get very weird so some warranty would help with that lol
 

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Messages
9,042
Reaction score
416
Thanks, just a bit nervous about the lack of warranty cos my luck with electronics can get very weird so some warranty would help with that lol
Just pray your device doesnt die after warranty ends
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top