Speakers Dilemma!

Surreptitious

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2008
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
2.1 speaker recommendation?

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend me a good set of 2.1 speakers based on the information provided below.

I have a budget about S$250, a little higher if necessary and worth it.

I mainly listen to music, usually classical and instrumentals, and watch movies. I hope to get something that is good throughout the entire range.

Not very good with audio stuff, but I've been doing some reading and was hoping for something like the Logitech Z2300 or Klipsch Promedia 2.1, however they can't be found here I understand.

Been down to try the Klipsch GMX A-2.1, nice strong bass, but I'm not entirely after bass and the power rating was only 15W on the sattelites, does this really matter?

Haven't heard the Aego M, seems preferred by the population here, but whats its strength really? I also checked its specs and it seems like it has a clipped range. was it 55Hz- 16kHz? Also how much and where can I buy one?

Basically those two above are what I've narrowed down to... any more to recommend me? I'm actually using the Creative 7.1 speakers now but I've changed to a laptop, thus without my Audigy ZS2, so its down to a 2.1 Speaker, but the woofer keeps dying on me from time to time. Pity.

Also saw a Promedia Ultra 2.0, is this worth getting? Although I pretty much prefer a 2.1 system.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
 

Surreptitious

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2008
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Have you consider MX5021? Looks good. You can get the the Laptop sound card also.

http://sg.creative.com/products/pro...ory=209&subcategory=669&product=16642&listby=

I did look at the MX5021, doesn't sound as distinctive in my opinion. Its good but not "special". I've not seen the Aego M. But I've tested the Z5500 logitech, the second I hit the test button, its like "Woah, I want this", of course I couldn't afford it, my guess is that the Z2300 is about equal just not 5.1, but then, its not available too.

Klipsch GMX, sounds Very good, when I heard it, almost the same instant "bell" that rings in your ears when you hear it. Just that Klipsch seems to lean on the bass power much more. (I'm not sure completely but it just seems like.)

MX5021, it seems inferior to the others. Also its like catered towards games and stuff. If I had to get MX5021, I'll choose Klipsch GMX, no questions there. Not unless someone here can convince me otherwise. It just doesn't have that "This is it!" feeling when I heard it.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,878
Reaction score
3,148
how about Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers?

having somesort of a feature of a sub-woofer but without it physically...does not take up much space...

me thinking of above or mx 5021 to pair with maybe like auzen xplosion cinema soundcard.

If bass is more important than clarity and you don't mind large speakers, you can try MX5021.

T40 is more for clarity and space saving. Its bass is decent for me but don't expect earth shattering bass.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,878
Reaction score
3,148
I did look at the MX5021, doesn't sound as distinctive in my opinion. Its good but not "special". I've not seen the Aego M. But I've tested the Z5500 logitech, the second I hit the test button, its like "Woah, I want this", of course I couldn't afford it, my guess is that the Z2300 is about equal just not 5.1, but then, its not available too.

Klipsch GMX, sounds Very good, when I heard it, almost the same instant "bell" that rings in your ears when you hear it. Just that Klipsch seems to lean on the bass power much more. (I'm not sure completely but it just seems like.)

MX5021, it seems inferior to the others. Also its like catered towards games and stuff. If I had to get MX5021, I'll choose Klipsch GMX, no questions there. Not unless someone here can convince me otherwise. It just doesn't have that "This is it!" feeling when I heard it.

Logitech Z-5500 can wow you? :s13::s13:

Wait til you hear Aego M. Heaven and earth is the description between these 2 speakers.
 

Surreptitious

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2008
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Logitech Z-5500 can wow you? :s13::s13:

Wait til you hear Aego M. Heaven and earth is the description between these 2 speakers.

Well I thought it had a very strong yet clear bass that blended well with the treble. But what do I know really, I'm just an amateur. Haha.

I want to try the Aego M, but I can't find it, where can I find it? Maybe I should ask those on th Aego M Thread.

So Aego M versus Kilpsch 2.1, which is a better choice?

What about the Aego M cut off range though?
 

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
48,329
Reaction score
144
Logitech Z-5500 can wow you? :s13::s13:

Wait til you hear Aego M. Heaven and earth is the description between these 2 speakers.
Yes it can :s13:

It wowed and still wows me for gaming and movie (thanks to DTS/DD decoders)

But of course, when it comes to music, Aego M rocks! :D
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,878
Reaction score
3,148
Well I thought it had a very strong yet clear bass that blended well with the treble. But what do I know really, I'm just an amateur. Haha.

I want to try the Aego M, but I can't find it, where can I find it? Maybe I should ask those on th Aego M Thread.

So Aego M versus Kilpsch 2.1, which is a better choice?

What about the Aego M cut off range though?

The heaven and earth description is based on music listening. There is no way a Logitech high-end speaker can compete with Aego entry-level speakers-- Aego M. Of course, there is no way Aego M can compete with those bookshelves and floor-stand speakers. :o

If Logitech speakers can wow you, its simply because they have loud thumpy bass and Dolby Digital.
 
Last edited:

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
48,329
Reaction score
144
hey erwinrommel,

correct me if i'm wrong, the only device out in the market which is capable of handle Dolby TrueHD is an A/V receiver with HDMI input, am I right?
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,878
Reaction score
3,148
hey erwinrommel,

correct me if i'm wrong, the only device out in the market which is capable of handle Dolby TrueHD is an A/V receiver with HDMI input, am I right?

No idea, never play with true HD before. :s13:
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,450
Reaction score
6,005
hey erwinrommel,

correct me if i'm wrong, the only device out in the market which is capable of handle Dolby TrueHD is an A/V receiver with HDMI input, am I right?

Yes, only on a/v receiver. You need not worry about Dolby TrueHD unless you intend to play blu-ray movies.
 

qrsy2k

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
2
Thinking of getting new pair of speakers (using ATP4 currently) for music listening (35%) movie watching (25%) and gaming (40%). Will also be connecting it to my Xbox 360. Currently using onboard sound but changing to Creative X-Fi Titanium soon. Got any recommendations? Thinking of Aego M but is it good for gaming? Thanks
 

GegeV2

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
12,617
Reaction score
0
Aego M would suit ur music purposes...

MX 5021 would be for gaming, movie and those rap music...
 

qrsy2k

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
2
Ya so kinda hard to decide... Anyone went down to CE today n c whether there is still stock? Might be go "test drive" Aego M tml
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top