StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
11,231
Reaction score
402
nope. although my previous problems is gone. I still will not continue with starhub.

i did some calculation .. if i add
SCV + M1, my SCV susbcription is around $96 and plus M1 say, $38 = $134 :)eek:)

if i do homehub, i will pay $68.80 + $52 = $120 .. this does not include those discount voucher blah blah ..

wow , both also quite high ... damn ... haha...
 

winthony

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
14,588
Reaction score
26
Dhcp or lan and wan?
Wireless settings? Etc etc.

No, I won't say ASUS is high end.

Wireless setting yes.
DHCP, LAN and WAN i have never set it before
will the values be provided by starhub when i call them up?

Pardon me, what i wanted to ask is to purchase those high end asus router like RT-AC68U
 

winthony

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
14,588
Reaction score
26
I feel that starhub fiber is quite ok, for normal light internet usage.

I play dota, watch youtube, download some music now and then. Quite acceptable for my standards.
But some adjustments and changing of settings on the routers is needed.
My own experience, the router settings that the starhub guy sets is not really suitable for my home use. After some changes in the settings, I get no problem for day to day usage at home.

I have generally 3 computers online at any point of time. All doing their thing without complaining of lag. Previously when I was on 10mbps, when 1 computer was on youtube, the other computers will lag.

care to share what kind of settings did you change?
 

Nights

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,509
Reaction score
4
you either have to request for direct ONT, or follow these steps (to spoof your router as the DVG)

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...s-rt-n56u-connected-ont-directly-3635885.html

You mean I can't use my own router for starhub fiber anytime? What is direct ONT?
The starhub Dlink router seem to have some unstable wireless connection issue. I might want to change back to my old Dlink router which I used during cable modem time. Can I just plug the old router to the ONT?
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
You mean I can't use my own router for starhub fiber anytime? What is direct ONT?
The starhub Dlink router seem to have some unstable wireless connection issue. I might want to change back to my old Dlink router which I used during cable modem time. Can I just plug the old router to the ONT?

1. No
2. U have to request for direct ont to be able to use 3rd party off the shelvez router
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Wireless setting yes.
DHCP, LAN and WAN i have never set it before
will the values be provided by starhub when i call them up?

Pardon me, what i wanted to ask is to purchase those high end asus router like RT-AC68U

1. No. Because there isnt any to configure it manually.
2. Just configure it as DHCP, it will work.
 

sillyb0y

Master Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
3,192
Reaction score
10
Anyone know if sign up for hubbing pack,

it'll receive free ONT, Dlink Wireless Device and Voice Enabled modem for homeline?


or if want the homeline need to buy voice enabled modem?
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Anyone know if sign up for hubbing pack,

it'll receive free ONT, Dlink Wireless Device and Voice Enabled modem for homeline?


or if want the homeline need to buy voice enabled modem?

Nope, remember to request for ont with voice instead.
 

CheeKo

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
538
Reaction score
0
care to share what kind of settings did you change?


I got most of the setting changes from the internet.

I think you could google "Optimize router internet" to check the settings they recommend.

I turned off those functions that I didnt need though. Such as guest zone, WPS etc
 

blosomchaos

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
2,176
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, is anyone here on homehub 200? Seems attractive with the bundle and such, tempting me to jump ship.
I have a few qn in mind:
-Is this package worth it?
-It metioned Wireless AC Dual-band Router, is this the d-link router and is it reliable in terms of connectivity issue?
-So i have to fork out extra $6-7/mth on top of the package for the rental?
-In the terms and conditions, they mentioned the free installations and activations is waived till a certain date decided by SH. Means i got to pay for those charges within my contractual period? :s22:

Thanks for the help ;);)
 

tanaka_yuuta

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
958
Reaction score
0

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
55,968
Reaction score
2,301
Hi guys, is anyone here on homehub 200? Seems attractive with the bundle and such, tempting me to jump ship.
I have a few qn in mind:
-Is this package worth it?
-It metioned Wireless AC Dual-band Router, is this the d-link router and is it reliable in terms of connectivity issue?
-So i have to fork out extra $6-7/mth on top of the package for the rental?
-In the terms and conditions, they mentioned the free installations and activations is waived till a certain date decided by SH. Means i got to pay for those charges within my contractual period? :s22:

Thanks for the help ;);)
Homehub is attractive if you use all of Starhub's services, i.e. internet + cable TV + mobile.
The internet itself is OK (for the past few weeks, touch wood, it's been behaving well (don't know whether PC Show got anything to do with this, but earlier this year, there were lots of problems (go check the Starhub communities forums))). Nothing to write home about. For light users, should be good enough.
The router they gave at the beginning of this year is the D-Link 865L. Mine is still BNIB, dumped in the store-room. I don't know whether they will bundle the newer 868L.
The rental for the set-top box is NOT included. Depends on which box you are using. My Hubstation HD I got to pay extra $14/mth. End up total still about $2 cheaper per month than my previous cable broadband (25Mbps).
Another perk is the 1 year phone upgrade for one mobile line (if you have a Starhub mobile line under the same name), I think similar to what Singtel are offering.
Don't worry about the expiry date for the one-time charges (installation, activation, whatever). Once you consumed those, that's it. I think they phrase it that way to let people know these charges are not part of the package permanently, in other words, they can remove the waiving any time in the future (for future signups), kind of like those salesmen who hurry you to buy "while stocks last."
 

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
55,968
Reaction score
2,301
Just upgrade from cable to fiber with homeline.

When do u request ont with voice? During installation or before (call then to request?)
If yours is a new fiber installation, they should give you the voice-capable Huawei HG8240 ONT. You can just plug your phone and your own router (even though they provide free router), i.e. direct ONT already.
 

gabong

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2000
Messages
591
Reaction score
0
does it double the speed since it combines 2 lan into one?
theoretically it should right?

According to the review. That's what it does.
On the LAN side, you will only see the internet as ONE service.
It's all auto on the WAN side, done by device.
 

tanaka_yuuta

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
958
Reaction score
0
According to the review. That's what it does.
On the LAN side, you will only see the internet as ONE service.
It's all auto on the WAN side, done by device.

that sounds very good.
that means it will double the latency as compared to a 200mbps single network...

but does our ont support 2 fibre networks?
 

gabong

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2000
Messages
591
Reaction score
0
that sounds very good.
that means it will double the latency as compared to a 200mbps single network...

but does our ont support 2 fibre networks?

Your home TP has 2 lines.
So for 2 service, you will have 2 ONT.
Plug both ONT into the device.
Plug router into device.

That's it.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top