StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
Its been 6 days. And still no internet. Called them 7 times already.

Any idea how to escalate this up?

Each time you speak with anyone, make sure you get that person's name. Summarise your dissatisfaction about the service you have received. Tell them clearly what you expect done, and by when. Be reasonable, of course. Don't say "problem to be resolved by tomorrow 9am", because there is no way they could promise or commit reasonably. But you could say: "Get a 2nd level tech support to call me by tomorrow 9am". It's easier for them to escalate a case to the right people this way.
 

luckyguitar

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
0
Will my new fiber plan being provided with the simi cat5 6 lan cable?

More importantly is to check your speed after installation. Always insist to test the speed on your own machine and make sure the speed is acceptable before you sign over and let the technician go. Don't accept the job until you are absolutely satisfied with everything. Otherwise you are going to have nightmares dealing with their phone support team.

Trust me, their technicians have came down several times and most just want to get the job done quickly. Once there was this pinoy technician who came down and have no idea what he was coming down for. So hope you get a competent guy to handle your installation.

The latency to US servers seems to be normal now and the pings for the affected ips are fine. This issue has been on and off for some time now, and given their past poor record, i am sure that this same problem will pop up again soon.
 

Ronaldo88

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
27,175
Reaction score
3,505
More importantly is to check your speed after installation. Always insist to test the speed on your own machine and make sure the speed is acceptable before you sign over and let the technician go. Don't accept the job until you are absolutely satisfied with everything. Otherwise you are going to have nightmares dealing with their phone support team.

Trust me, their technicians have came down several times and most just want to get the job done quickly. Once there was this pinoy technician who came down and have no idea what he was coming down for. So hope you get a competent guy to handle your installation.

The latency to US servers seems to be normal now and the pings for the affected ips are fine. This issue has been on and off for some time now, and given their past poor record, i am sure that this same problem will pop up again soon.

Tank for the advice...sign 300mbps to get free ftp..opennet on 13th..installation on 25th..duno y so difficult to fix up all these issues...this fiber has been here for few yrs yet problems here n there..
 

CheeKo

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
538
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Recently I have this problem.

My download speed is half of my upload speed.
I am using DIR 865L router from Starhub, and my USB wifi is TP Link WN821N

3742141584.png


Any idea what I can do?
Using 2.4 ghz single band. 40mhz channel bonding.


Update on this situation of mine.
Quite interesting.
I changed only 1 thing in this whole set-up, the USB WiFi dongle.
Changed from the TP-link dongle, to a no-brand dongle with antenna.
Results at per follows:-

3759102542.png


Any possible explanation or analysis of this?
 

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
7,350
Reaction score
2,744
Any Starhub fibre expert here...I am using Singtel Fibre on the current setup (OpenNet Fibre Terminal -> White ONT box (direct ONT on the phone 1 port on the ONT for Singtel Digital Home Line) -> Asus N66U as I dislike the Singtel Aztech router.

Is it possible to use Asus router and direct ONT for digtial phone line for Starhub 500Mps fibre which I am planning to sign up after terminate the Singtel fibre plan.
 

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
55,968
Reaction score
2,301
I am using Singtel Fibre on the current setup (OpenNet Fibre Terminal -> White ONT box (direct ONT on the phone 1 port on the ONT for Singtel Digital Home Line) -> Asus N66U as I dislike the Singtel Aztech router.

Is it possible to use Asus router and direct ONT for digital phone line for Starhub 500Mps fibre which I am planning to sign up after terminate the Singtel fibre plan.
Yes, it's possible. You should receive the voice-capable Huawei HG8240 ONT if you subscribe to DV. For Asus N66U, just set the WAN connection to the default automatic (dhcp) and it should work.
 

luckyguitar

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
0
Anyone getting high pings to US servers now?

I'm getting double the normal numbers, just wanna check if anyone else having same issue.
 

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
55,968
Reaction score
2,301
Anyone getting high pings to US servers now?

I'm getting double the normal numbers, just wanna check if anyone else having same issue.
Same here, man.
Getting 600+ms to a server in N.J.
Should be 250ms on a good day. :vijayadmin:
 

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
55,968
Reaction score
2,301
Last hop removed for anonymity, but should be enough to show something (Level3 :vijayadmin: ):

Code:
 1  182.55.228.130 (182.55.228.130)  4.360 ms  3.647 ms  3.056 ms
 2  an-ts-br05.starhub.net.sg (183.90.44.33)  2.624 ms  2.266 ms  2.269 ms
 3  six2-uts-int04.starhub.net.sg (183.90.44.26)  2.958 ms  2.726 ms  2.522 ms
 4  xe-7-2-3.edge5.LosAngeles1.Level3.net (205.129.5.73)  240.198 ms  *  226.206 ms
 5  ae-4-90.edge2.LosAngeles9.Level3.net (4.69.144.207)  224.586 ms  ae-2-70.edge2.LosAngeles9.Level3.net (4.69.144.79)  244.749 ms  ae-4-90.edge2.LosAngeles9.Level3.net (4.69.144.207)  224.571 ms
 6  Zayo-level3-2x10G.LosAngles.Level3.net (4.68.70.34)  225.502 ms  246.648 ms  237.728 ms
 7  ae11.cr2.lax112.us.above.net (64.125.21.173)  198.167 ms  184.465 ms  198.170 ms
 8  ae3.cr2.iah1.us.above.net (64.125.21.85)  220.123 ms  249.462 ms  232.769 ms
 9  ae14.cr2.dca2.us.above.net (64.125.21.53)  242.047 ms  256.145 ms  254.951 ms
10  ae4.cr2.lga5.us.above.net (64.125.26.106)  255.095 ms  267.196 ms  268.267 ms
11  xe-0-0-1.mpr2.ewr2.us.above.net (64.125.31.173)  291.349 ms  300.951 ms  294.252 ms
12  208.184.34.234.IPYX-069067-ZYO.above.net (208.184.34.234)  644.388 ms  629.194 ms  626.310 ms
13  edge-10-teb2.us.as19318.net (66.45.224.182)  665.379 ms  621.006 ms  638.627 ms
14  66.245.180.2 (66.245.180.2)  627.809 ms  628.930 ms  638.773 ms
 

FishandWater

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2007
Messages
250
Reaction score
3
I need some advise.

Configuration for basic users (you can change this if necessary):
on 3rd party Router WAN IP:
Static IP
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (point to Huawei Voice Home Gateway HG256s gateway IP)
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1 (point to Huawei Voice Home Gateway HG256s gateway IP)
MAC address: some router requires this input - enter in accordingly from Huawei Voice Home Gateway HG256s > Status > Device Information > Device Information > MAC address

on Huawei Voice Home Gateway HG256s:
Basic > LAN > DHCP >
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Advanced > NAT > DMZ >
Host Address: 192.168.1.2 (3rd party Router IP)
DMZ: check/tick

I follow the same method

ONT - > D-LINK -> ASUS AC66R

If I dont follow this method.. everything is fine.
But once I follow.. My connection start to drop at random.
Few hours can be ok. But sometimes every 2 hours connection will drop.

1) I login to D-LINk and status side show internet is connected
2) Funny thing is, I am playing Dota 2 online and the game dont have any problem. Just that I cant surf net at all
3) Once I restart everything(ONT,D-Link, Asus) , then the connection will come back for me to surf net

Everybody have any idea on what might cause this? I find the playing game part while unable to surf net funny.

If I dont follow this configuration, previously everything works fine.
 

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
55,968
Reaction score
2,301
Configuration for basic users (you can change this if necessary):
on 3rd party Router WAN IP:
Static IP
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (point to Huawei Voice Home Gateway HG256s gateway IP)
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1 (point to Huawei Voice Home Gateway HG256s gateway IP)
MAC address: some router requires this input - enter in accordingly from Huawei Voice Home Gateway HG256s > Status > Device Information > Device Information > MAC address

on Huawei Voice Home Gateway HG256s:
Basic > LAN > DHCP >
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Advanced > NAT > DMZ >
Host Address: 192.168.1.2 (3rd party Router IP)
DMZ: check/tick

I follow the same method

ONT - > D-LINK -> ASUS AC66R

If I dont follow this method.. everything is fine.
But once I follow.. My connection start to drop at random.
Few hours can be ok. But sometimes every 2 hours connection will drop.

1) I login to D-LINk and status side show internet is connected
2) Funny thing is, I am playing Dota 2 online and the game dont have any problem. Just that I cant surf net at all
3) Once I restart everything(ONT,D-Link, Asus) , then the connection will come back for me to surf net

Everybody have any idea on what might cause this? I find the playing game part while unable to surf net funny.

If I dont follow this configuration, previously everything works fine.
What was your previous configuration and what was the reason for changing it since it was working fine?
Try to flash RMerlin's 374.43 firmware on your AC66R if you aren't using it already.
 

FishandWater

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2007
Messages
250
Reaction score
3
What was your previous configuration and what was the reason for changing it since it was working fine?
Try to flash RMerlin's 374.43 firmware on your AC66R if you aren't using it already.


Quite complicated

As first, I was was connecting Dlink directly to Asus ( DLink LAN to Asus Internet Port)

But I didnt change any configuration, everything was default except the standard wifi configuration.

Everything was fine, until lately startup to connect fibre took half an hour or more which was weird.

Call Starhub , Techician came down and say I connected wrongly... he connected lan to lan.(Which kinda ******** since the configuration was done when the fibre first startup) Everything was fine

Problem is because I using trying to use Astrill VPN on Asus, with this configuration by Starhub. I wont be able to use Astrill VPN from what I tested.

*I cant use ONT also as my family using Digital Voice, have to use DLINK.

Thats why the configuration was set as per TS advice. Now Astrill VPN working , only the random disconnection. Which is weird... sometimes happen in few hours. Sometimes wont.

And as I mentioned, I can even play DOTA while the net is down. ( Net down as in unable to surf net via WIFI , LAN ( All house computer))
 

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
55,968
Reaction score
2,301
Quite complicated

As first, I was was connecting Dlink directly to Asus ( DLink LAN to Asus Internet Port)

But I didnt change any configuration, everything was default except the standard wifi configuration.

Everything was fine, until lately startup to connect fibre took half an hour or more which was weird.

Call Starhub , Techician came down and say I connected wrongly... he connected lan to lan.(Which kinda ******** since the configuration was done when the fibre first startup) Everything was fine

Problem is because I using trying to use Astrill VPN on Asus, with this configuration by Starhub. I wont be able to use Astrill VPN from what I tested.

*I cant use ONT also as my family using Digital Voice, have to use DLINK.

Thats why the configuration was set as per TS advice. Now Astrill VPN working , only the random disconnection. Which is weird... sometimes happen in few hours. Sometimes wont.

And as I mentioned, I can even play DOTA while the net is down. ( Net down as in unable to surf net via WIFI , LAN ( All house computer))
OK, I can understand your situation better now.
You need to isolate the disconnection problem by first eliminating the AC66R.
The next time you get disconnected, disconnect the AC66R, configure your PC to the same static IP as the AC66 (the DMZ IP), set the DNS to Google DNS (8.8.8.8), and connect your PC directly to the D-Link. If surfing is OK at this point, means the d/c is likely due to your AC66. If still cannot surf, problem is not AC66 so got to isolate further upstream. Try some nslookup to see if DNS is still working.
If it is due to the AC66R, try to use a stable firmware like RMerlin's 374.43.
 

abstrax

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2001
Messages
1,551
Reaction score
173
Quite complicated

As first, I was was connecting Dlink directly to Asus ( DLink LAN to Asus Internet Port)

But I didnt change any configuration, everything was default except the standard wifi configuration.

Everything was fine, until lately startup to connect fibre took half an hour or more which was weird.

Call Starhub , Techician came down and say I connected wrongly... he connected lan to lan.(Which kinda ******** since the configuration was done when the fibre first startup) Everything was fine

Problem is because I using trying to use Astrill VPN on Asus, with this configuration by Starhub. I wont be able to use Astrill VPN from what I tested.

*I cant use ONT also as my family using Digital Voice, have to use DLINK.

Thats why the configuration was set as per TS advice. Now Astrill VPN working , only the random disconnection. Which is weird... sometimes happen in few hours. Sometimes wont.

And as I mentioned, I can even play DOTA while the net is down. ( Net down as in unable to surf net via WIFI , LAN ( All house computer))

It seems tat u r using 2 DHCP servers(1 is dlink n 1 is asus). U can try to use 2 different class of ip address eg. 192.168.1.1 for dlink, 192.168 .2.1 for asus. If u use 192.168.1.xxx for both routers, it will conflict. Google more info for setting up 2 routers using DHCP TO DHCP.
 

FishandWater

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2007
Messages
250
Reaction score
3
It seems tat u r using 2 DHCP servers(1 is dlink n 1 is asus). U can try to use 2 different class of ip address eg. 192.168.1.1 for dlink, 192.168 .2.1 for asus. If u use 192.168.1.xxx for both routers, it will conflict. Google more info for setting up 2 routers using DHCP TO DHCP.

I have disable the DHCP from DLINK. Dlink is now only static ip.

Will try to isolate the problem and see how. Headache
 

abstrax

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2001
Messages
1,551
Reaction score
173
I have disable the DHCP from DLINK. Dlink is now only static ip.

Will try to isolate the problem and see how. Headache

If u disable dlink DHCP, try connect :

ONT ->LAN1 port of Dlink -> out from LAN2 of Dlink -> to WAN port of Asus.

So u just nid 1 set of ip address but remember to set ip range of ur asus router not to conflict with both routers' ip addresses....remember to reboot everytik after setup.

Hope this works for u....if not.....try 2 DHCP
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top