StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

Peach Tea

Suspended
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
12,291
Reaction score
779
**** toggle la

keep asking me to try this try that.

reinstall silverlight :s22:

found the problem.
I tried the paid content, this is what I got "You are accessing Toggle from Overseas. Please note that only videos with the SGLink Tag can be displayed. Click here for more info."

Mine is a local IP, don't know why it says it's overseas. Are you also getting the same messages?
 

oric1

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Messages
1,794
Reaction score
92
**** toggle la

keep asking me to try this try that.

reinstall silverlight :s22:

found the problem.

So Silverlight is the culprit? I tried watching on my PC and still getting the same error messages. No problem watching on iPad or Smart TV.

Edit: Updated Silverlight but still same messages but able to watch in IE but not Firefox. Don't have such problem in the past. Guess they detected SH's IP 101.127.xxx.xxx as not local IP.
 
Last edited:

Peach Tea

Suspended
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
12,291
Reaction score
779
So Silverlight is the culprit? I tried watching on my PC and still getting the same error messages. No problem watching on iPad or Smart TV.

Edit: Updated Silverlight but still same messages but able to watch in IE but not Firefox. Don't have such problem in the past. Guess they detected SH's IP 101.127.xxx.xxx as not local IP.


Try remove SL and restart PC and install again. I noticed the overseas link thing not there already.
 

oric1

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Messages
1,794
Reaction score
92
Try remove SL and restart PC and install again. I noticed the overseas link thing not there already.

I uninstalled SL & reinstalled without rebooting, will give it a try. BTW, you using which browser to watch?
 

oric1

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Messages
1,794
Reaction score
92
Chrome. Also on astrill 1 also can watch.

Haha.. rebooted... still no go.... You are accessing Toggle from Overseas. Please note that only videos with the SGLink Tag can be displayed. Click here for more info.

Will email them.
 

Nestor

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
570
Reaction score
1
Unstable connection

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what's happening with my setup. I am having intermittent disconnection every few hours on Starhub 100MB fibre.

My connection is basically

White ONT -> Dlink DVG-N5402SP (For digital voice) -> Asus RT-AC87U (for DHCP, wired and wireless)

My connection is
DLink:
Wireless disabled
DHCP disabled
DMZ Enabled (Wan connection: Internet, IP: 192.168.0.2)
Lan (Router IP Address: 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0)

Asus:
Wireless enabled
WAN (Static IP, IP address: 192.168.0.2, Subnet: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.0.1, DNS Server 1 and 2: 192.168.0.1)
LAN (IP Address: 192.168.1.1, Subnet: 255.255.255.0)
DHCP (Enabled, Pool: 192.168.1.10-100, Lease Time: 86400, Gateway: 192.168.0.2)

Physical connection
ONT Port 1-> Dlink WAN Port
DLink LAN Port 1 -> Asus WAN Port

I used to use the same connection with a TPLink router instead of the Asus and it works. Except that sometimes (once every few months), the connection might drop and I have to reset both Dlink and the router. Now The connection will only stay alive for a few hours before it dies and I will have to reboot both Dlink (first) and then the Asus (second) to bring the connection back up again.

The internet led on the Asus is always showing blue though.

Can someone help? I will like to continue to use the same devices without changing to the newer ones in Starhub. Also my ONT is not direct and I have to maintain the digital voice service.
 
Last edited:

BradenHeat

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
8,149
Reaction score
2,042
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what's happening with my setup. I am having intermittent disconnection every few hours on Starhub 100MB fibre.

My connection is basically

White ONT -> Dlink DVG-N5402SP (For digital voice) -> Asus RT-AC87U (for DHCP, wired and wireless)

My connection is
DLink:
Wireless disabled
DHCP disabled
DMZ Enabled (Wan connection: Internet, IP: 192.168.0.2)
Lan (Router IP Address: 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0)

Asus:
Wireless enabled
WAN (Static IP, IP address: 192.168.0.2, Subnet: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.0.1, DNS Server 1 and 2: 192.168.0.1)
LAN (IP Address: 192.168.1.1, Subnet: 255.255.255.0)
DHCP (Enabled, Pool: 192.168.1.10-100, Lease Time: 86400, Gateway: 192.168.0.2)

Physical connection
ONT Port 1-> Dlink WAN Port
DLink LAN Port 1 -> Asus WAN Port

I used to use the same connection with a TPLink router instead of the Asus and it works. Except that sometimes (once every few months), the connection might drop and I have to reset both Dlink and the router. Now The connection will only stay alive for a few hours before it dies and I will have to reboot both Dlink (first) and then the Asus (second) to bring the connection back up again.

The internet led on the Asus is always showing blue though.

Can someone help? I will like to continue to use the same devices without changing to the newer ones in Starhub. Also my ONT is not direct and I have to maintain the digital voice service.


riding on as well,

some frequent timeouts, particularly this 2 weeks......:s22:
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
my suggestion

go direct ONT + 1 motorola modem (digital voice)

you will appreciate it more.

a 2nd hand motorola modem only <$25 nia... and its extremely durable.
 

Nestor

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
570
Reaction score
1
I think I managed to narrow it down to a few possibilities. I believe it is due to the timezone in the Asus router. The timezone is different from the Dlink and is out of sync. This is causing the connection to drop for some obscure reason.

Yesterday I set the timezone to Singapore and it worked for about 22 hours without dropping. The connection just dropped and after logging in to check, I noticed it is saying "the timezone is yet to be synchronise with a NTP Server". The ntp server synchronisation has something to do with the DNS Server, which in my case is 192.168.0.1

I can't seem to get it to sync, even with setting if the timezone to Singapore it's still not syncing. Tried cloning the WAN Mac address of the DLINK restarted. Still doesn't work... At the moment it's sitting there not functioning at all.

Anyone can help? I doubt calling into Starhub will be of any good use.

Edit 1:
I just restarted both, and went into the administration page and change the timezone to HongKong (same as Singapore), and restarted. Now it's connected again so I'm pretty sure the culprit is the timezone now. I noticed from the log that it seems to reset the timezone.

I have cloned the Dlink WAN MAC address to the Asus and I hope it will work now... Fingers crossed

Edit 2:
Found http://community.starhub.com/t5/MaxInfinity-Fibre-BroadBand/asus-RT-n66U-wifi-router/td-p/20046
Difference is the DNS 2: 8.8.8.8
Removed the Mac address clone. Let's see if this fix the problem!
 
Last edited:

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
I think I managed to narrow it down to a few possibilities. I believe it is due to the timezone in the Asus router. The timezone is different from the Dlink and is out of sync. This is causing the connection to drop for some obscure reason.

Yesterday I set the timezone to Singapore and it worked for about 22 hours without dropping. The connection just dropped and after logging in to check, I noticed it is saying "the timezone is yet to be synchronise with a NTP Server". The ntp server synchronisation has something to do with the DNS Server, which in my case is 192.168.0.1

I can't seem to get it to sync, even with setting if the timezone to Singapore it's still not syncing. Tried cloning the WAN Mac address of the DLINK restarted. Still doesn't work... At the moment it's sitting there not functioning at all.

Anyone can help? I doubt calling into Starhub will be of any good use.

Edit 1:
I just restarted both, and went into the administration page and change the timezone to HongKong (same as Singapore), and restarted. Now it's connected again so I'm pretty sure the culprit is the timezone now. I noticed from the log that it seems to reset the timezone.

I have cloned the Dlink WAN MAC address to the Asus and I hope it will work now... Fingers crossed

Edit 2:
Found asus RT-n66U wifi router. - StarHub Community - 20046
Difference is the DNS 2: 8.8.8.8
Removed the Mac address clone. Let's see if this fix the problem!

nice info.

i never believe on using googleDNS though.
 

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
35,817
Reaction score
2,017
nice info.

i never believe on using googleDNS though.
If you are worried about privacy (server side logging) just take a DNS server from OpenNIC.
If you want to hide DNS request from snooping you have to use DNS Crypt.
If you just want performance google DNS is one of the fastest.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
If you are worried about privacy (server side logging) just take a DNS server from OpenNIC.
If you want to hide DNS request from snooping you have to use DNS Crypt.
If you just want performance google DNS is one of the fastest.

aware of all those but still, thanks for sharing. :)
 

blimey

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
2,239
Reaction score
10
I think I managed to narrow it down to a few possibilities. I believe it is due to the timezone in the Asus router. The timezone is different from the Dlink and is out of sync. This is causing the connection to drop for some obscure reason.

Yesterday I set the timezone to Singapore and it worked for about 22 hours without dropping. The connection just dropped and after logging in to check, I noticed it is saying "the timezone is yet to be synchronise with a NTP Server". The ntp server synchronisation has something to do with the DNS Server, which in my case is 192.168.0.1

I can't seem to get it to sync, even with setting if the timezone to Singapore it's still not syncing. Tried cloning the WAN Mac address of the DLINK restarted. Still doesn't work... At the moment it's sitting there not functioning at all.

Anyone can help? I doubt calling into Starhub will be of any good use.

Edit 1:
I just restarted both, and went into the administration page and change the timezone to HongKong (same as Singapore), and restarted. Now it's connected again so I'm pretty sure the culprit is the timezone now. I noticed from the log that it seems to reset the timezone.

I have cloned the Dlink WAN MAC address to the Asus and I hope it will work now... Fingers crossed

Edit 2:
Found asus RT-n66U wifi router. - StarHub Community - 20046
Difference is the DNS 2: 8.8.8.8
Removed the Mac address clone. Let's see if this fix the problem!

I had this problem too. I'm on StarHub cable with the digital voice box that doubles up as a modem and wireless router. I had the Asus black night router and rt ac 68u router and still get dropped connection every hour or so. Changed to Merlin firmware still the same problem.

The problem i suspect is the digital voice. I googled and found some users in America experiencing the same problem when they have telephony services as well as broadband from the same box and an asus router.

I switched to a linksys router and have no dropped connections. It's a shame cos asus provided better wifi and and lan speeds.

But I shall give you solution a try tomorrow to see if it works.
 
Last edited:

Nestor

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
570
Reaction score
1
I had this problem too. I'm on StarHub cable with the digital voice box that doubles up as a modem and wireless router. I had the Asus black night router and rt ac 68u router and still get dropped connection every hour or so. Changed to Merlin firmware still the same problem.

The problem i suspect is the digital voice. I googled and found some users in America experiencing the same problem when they have telephony services as well as broadband from the same box and an asus router.

I switched to a linksys router and have no dropped connections. It's a shame cos asus provided better wifi and and lan speeds.

But I shall give you solution a try tomorrow to see if it works.

I can confirm that everything is working now and the problem in my case is the timezone of the Asus and dlink are not the same. Just follow everything that is spelled of in the beginning of the thread, change the DNA 2 to 8.8.8.8 and make sure that the timezone of your Asus is the same as your voice modem.

Reboot both, dlink first and Asus after.. And it should work
 

blimey

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
2,239
Reaction score
10
I can confirm that everything is working now and the problem in my case is the timezone of the Asus and dlink are not the same. Just follow everything that is spelled of in the beginning of the thread, change the DNA 2 to 8.8.8.8 and make sure that the timezone of your Asus is the same as your voice modem.

Reboot both, dlink first and Asus after.. And it should work

I tried your solution but what I did was use the same ntp server in my asus and the StarHub router. So far so good.
Thanks for the tip.
 

d4rk5oul

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
380
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I'm shifting house soon and plan to sign up for starhub homehub with 200mbps fibre.

May I know if the router provided hy starhub is good enough to cover a two story apartment?

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
 

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2001
Messages
20,807
Reaction score
2,722
Hi guys,

I'm shifting house soon and plan to sign up for starhub homehub with 200mbps fibre.

May I know if the router provided hy starhub is good enough to cover a two story apartment?

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

no strictly speaking even my house 4 room flat if the starhub router is at the entrance the signal won't reach my mums room at the back. because the walls and bomb shelter will block the signal and eventually enough walls will totally block the signal. same theory for floors.

you need to get a repeater or access point in between and thats what i am doing now.

You probably need an access point on each floor at least
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top