StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

whatme

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
6,917
Reaction score
0
I just came back after getting my replacement for the dlink 850. Guess what? A pile of that router on the floor that I assume it's defective since he put my defective set on that pile too.
I have a strong feeling this router will trouble me again in a few weeks again.

Moral of the story. This Lousy router that starhub gave, really tarnishing their own reputation. Get shot on their own feet.

Sent from refraining using GAGT
 

MrAwesomeX

Banned
Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
13,912
Reaction score
5,855
Whats the earliest you can re-contract for home fibre bb?
Mine ending at june not sure to wait for june pc show or re-contract during the march pc show if possible.
 

Nekorin

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
1,422
Reaction score
54
Really sucks.

Upgraded to 1gbps in Jan and now it is still stuck at 100mbps? Recently called starhub to switch to direct ONT they did it and the speed is still limited <100mbps. Really dunno wtf they are doing.
 

oric1

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
99
Really sucks.

Upgraded to 1gbps in Jan and now it is still stuck at 100mbps? Recently called starhub to switch to direct ONT they did it and the speed is still limited <100mbps. Really dunno wtf they are doing.

You tested via wireless or wired (PC connected to ONT)?
 

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
Really sucks.

Upgraded to 1gbps in Jan and now it is still stuck at 100mbps? Recently called starhub to switch to direct ONT they did it and the speed is still limited <100mbps. Really dunno wtf they are doing.

-Open Network and Sharing Centre
-Click on your "Lan Area Connection"
-post the picture here
 

deathblade82

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2002
Messages
1,584
Reaction score
29
Really sucks.

Upgraded to 1gbps in Jan and now it is still stuck at 100mbps? Recently called starhub to switch to direct ONT they did it and the speed is still limited <100mbps. Really dunno wtf they are doing.

Have you did any troubleshooting steps on your side ? This is to eliminate any hardware limitation on your end.

Things to look out for are like using a 10/100 NIC instead of a 10/100/100 NIC. Using cat 5 LAN patch cords instead of cat 5e/6.

And lastly DO NOT do the test over WiFi.
 

whatme

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
6,917
Reaction score
0
Really sucks.

Upgraded to 1gbps in Jan and now it is still stuck at 100mbps? Recently called starhub to switch to direct ONT they did it and the speed is still limited <100mbps. Really dunno wtf they are doing.
The same thing Im experiencing now.

But right now getting 200~300mbps after complaining.

They want my screenshot and suspect it's my hardware limitation.

Rather downgrade my plan

Sent from refraining using GAGT
 

GeForce

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
25
Doesn't seem to be a problem for me though.. upgraded to 1gbps about a month ago. is this the full speed or is there anybody else who can go any higher?
Router is Asus AC87U.
gD1vBQJ.png
 

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
58,019
Reaction score
5
Really sucks.

Upgraded to 1gbps in Jan and now it is still stuck at 100mbps? Recently called starhub to switch to direct ONT they did it and the speed is still limited <100mbps. Really dunno wtf they are doing.

okay... first thing, you testing using wireless or wired?
if wireless, use wired.

2nd thing assuming the router you using is the one given by starhub, which means it supports gigabit internet, is your computer's network adapter capable of gigabit internet?
if yes, and you getting 100mbps, call liao.
 

Nekorin

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
1,422
Reaction score
54
okay... first thing, you testing using wireless or wired?
if wireless, use wired.

2nd thing assuming the router you using is the one given by starhub, which means it supports gigabit internet, is your computer's network adapter capable of gigabit internet?
if yes, and you getting 100mbps, call liao.

Wired connection. The starhub guys came over to check. Turns out that the supposed "Cat 5e" cables I'm using are actually cat5 only. Really unscrupulous of the manufacturer to label them cat5e when they are only cat5. What's worse is that there are a few of them so when I do the change test there is no difference.

However, even with the cat5e cables the starhub guy gave me I'm only able to get around 600-700mbps. The guy said that can get 70% speed is good enough???
 

keigo

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,968
Reaction score
2
Wired connection. The starhub guys came over to check. Turns out that the supposed "Cat 5e" cables I'm using are actually cat5 only. Really unscrupulous of the manufacturer to label them cat5e when they are only cat5. What's worse is that there are a few of them so when I do the change test there is no difference.

However, even with the cat5e cables the starhub guy gave me I'm only able to get around 600-700mbps. The guy said that can get 70% speed is good enough???

Then it's most likely hardware limitation. Are you using at least a 2nd gen i5 cpu for desktop and 4th gen i5 cpu for laptop? I only get 600-700mbps as well on 2nd gen i5 cpu for laptop. I get 900+ for 6th gen i7 laptop.
 

Nekorin

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
1,422
Reaction score
54
Then it's most likely hardware limitation. Are you using at least a 2nd gen i5 cpu for desktop and 4th gen i5 cpu for laptop? I only get 600-700mbps as well on 2nd gen i5 cpu for laptop. I get 900+ for 6th gen i7 laptop.

both are at least 4th generation.

Desktop is Haswell i5-4590 with Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI running wired.
 

JeNoVa-IcHiGo

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
0
I'll say it's dependant on single core clock speed for speedtests.

Minimum of 2.3-2.5ghz on a single core to reach full 950mbps.

However, your browser & background running application also plays a role.
 

keigo

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,968
Reaction score
2
both are at least 4th generation.

Desktop is Haswell i5-4590 with Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI running wired.

Are you running antivirus program in background like kaspersky? That will produce poor speedtest results too.
 

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
12,765
Reaction score
1,590
I just came back after getting my replacement for the dlink 850. Guess what? A pile of that router on the floor that I assume it's defective since he put my defective set on that pile too.
I have a strong feeling this router will trouble me again in a few weeks again.

Moral of the story. This Lousy router that starhub gave, really tarnishing their own reputation. Get shot on their own feet.

Sent from refraining using GAGT

In fact I'm using the old router DLINK 865l that has better range n speeds.... why dun they jus get asus routers? Its always gd quality...
 

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2001
Messages
6,021
Reaction score
50
In fact I'm using the old router DLINK 865l that has better range n speeds.... why dun they jus get asus routers? Its always gd quality...
maybe didn't get to nego good deal with Asus. I suspect in future will be TP Link. Once some brands get very mainstream standard will drop.
That's why sometimes I don't bother with the free router. Never had good experience with them.
 

Multishot

Member
Joined
May 19, 2012
Messages
220
Reaction score
0
Thank you for your online submission.

To allow us to better understand this issue, we would appreciate it if you could perform the following tests and provide us the information below:

1. 3x Bandwidth Test (via Starhub test portal) Refer to the Network Utilities Guide on how to perform the test
2. 3x Traceroute to the affected website (using computer command prompt - CMD) Refer to the Traceroute.txt on how to perform the test
3. For the gaming issue reported, we would require the following information.
- Able to resolve with PC directly connected to the VEONT device:
- Any difference in game experience between day & night:
- Affected game title:
- Game server URL/IP/ports (via netstat -b - Refer to the attachment how to perform the test):
- Perform tracert to the game IP address
- In-game latency/ping (print screen with the full desktop display)
- Test account userid/password:
- URL for game client download:
- Game provider or server admin contact number/email:

We would appreciate it if you could forward the results to us via this email thread. Please include the full screenshot of the desktop.

Lastly, we would like to inform you that the above tests should be conducted via a direct LAN connection.

Best Regards

Simon
Customer Affairs

Experienced severe ping issues to overseas server over the past week on Starhub.

I tried sending a query to the facebook page Starhub and they referred me to the submit a query feedback form.

I detailed the websites, servers and region(Japan) in which I have trouble connecting to at night. Gave them a tracert log showing 600ms uploaded to imgur.

Now they're telling me to do this via email, which I bet 100% they copied from some list. Did I not just give you what you wanted in the initial feedback form? Are they just trying to delay me or drag my time or some ****?
 

Humster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2000
Messages
23,493
Reaction score
2,643
Experienced severe ping issues to overseas server over the past week on Starhub.

I tried sending a query to the facebook page Starhub and they referred me to the submit a query feedback form.

I detailed the websites, servers and region(Japan) in which I have trouble connecting to at night. Gave them a tracert log showing 600ms uploaded to imgur.

Now they're telling me to do this via email, which I bet 100% they copied from some list. Did I not just give you what you wanted in the initial feedback form? Are they just trying to delay me or drag my time or some ****?

Yes connection to Japan is insanely laggy now. 500ms-600ms++

Apparently, it seems like one of the cables their carrier is using broke according to a Malaysian friend I game with told me. Dunno how true it is, but according to him, the date to repair maybe up till 31st March.

So yeah, we maybe screwed real bad now. Will give them a call on Monday.



Sooo, yeah, if you are on starhub and connecting to Japan you ping is screwed unless on ghost hours like 2am.

http://subtelforum.com/articles/category/cable-faults/
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top