StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

daniel555

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2015
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Pulling cable is really not an option... I trying to minimise such work... Coz to reach a room in the middle of the flat, I most probably need to drill a through hole through the wall - the door cannot close with the cable... I was researching on flat cables, but it seems interference is a concern... So now I can only think of these options;
1) get a Super strong router and place at ONT which is at corner of the flat. Even then I dunno if the signal is strong enough to reach a point which is diagonally opposite the flat
2) powerline to place the router in middle of the flat
3) use a repeater (but I think the StarHub router will have problem reaching the middle of the flat, from where the ONT is)

Why not consider starhub dual broadband?
 

Buzztiger

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
1
Direct ONT is to allow any router to be used right ? Does this still have to be requested on signup ? If I plan to use the starhub bundled Dir868l router for a few months before I upgrade to better router, do I still need to ask for direct ONT first ? Or do I ask for direct ONT when I buy the new router a few months down the road ?
 

Hidit69

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
1
Direct ONT is to allow any router to be used right ? Does this still have to be requested on signup ? If I plan to use the starhub bundled Dir868l router for a few months before I upgrade to better router, do I still need to ask for direct ONT first ? Or do I ask for direct ONT when I buy the new router a few months down the road ?

Starhub should be direct ONT.
 

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
Surprise, surprise, surprise.
My Maxfinity plan contract is about to expires. Receive a call from Starhub today and recontracted to the new 1gbps plan. (Free 6 months subscriptions)

Guess what?
I can keep the mobile broadband plan and Starhub TV and continue to use at no extra cost.

Wow, it's really out of my expectations.
Thank You Starhub.
You made my day.
 
Last edited:

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
There is no special promotion la.
Just call to enquire about the 1gbps.
 
Last edited:

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
11,712
Reaction score
208
They will sort of force u to recontract. I did not recontract my cable broadband and the price become like 2 times the contract price.
 

jackycar

Master Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2014
Messages
4,897
Reaction score
129
Managed to hit 350mbps with this setup:
ONT -> Router (Dlink DIR868L) -> iphone (wireless AC 5Ghz)

So the bottleneck was the powerline segment.
But here comes the problem... My TP is at one corner of the flat, bedroom is on the other corner. I have no idea how to get the signal over without using powerline.

I was using a TP-link Archer C20. Not sure if it can be used as a repeater, and not sure if the repeater will half my 350Mbps bandwidth...

There are actually many good repeaters nowadays that don't half your bandwidth. What they do is they use the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks concurrently for the router-repeater and repeater-client legs.

I use both linksys re6500 and netgear ac1200. The latter is a lot more expensive but the range is tremendous. If the requirement is not so far, the re6500 will suffice.

Both do not slow down my wifi network noticeably and I'm able to get around 60-80mbps on the re6500, while 100+mbps on the netgear. Previously before using repeater the speeds were around 10-20mbps only
 

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
They will sort of force u to recontract. I did not recontract my cable broadband and the price become like 2 times the contract price.

Just take note, when you are on contract, the price you pay is offer price. When you are out of contract, they will just charge you more.

It's the same for all service provider.
 

Smurfy

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2000
Messages
1,579
Reaction score
270
Surprise, surprise, surprise.
My Maxfinity plan contract is about to expires. Receive a call from Starhub today and recontracted to the new 1gbps plan. (Free 6 months subscriptions)

Guess what?
I can keep the mobile broadband plan and Starhub TV and continue to use at no extra cost.

Wow, it's really out of my expectations.
Thank You Starhub.
You made my day.
U sure u sub to 1G plan and get both free or u sub to HomeHub 1G and get those 2 free?

Pure 1G is 49.90 after free 6mth and HomeHub 1G is 89.90 after free 6mth.

I seriously doubt SH will be as good as u think without u paying a price :):)
 

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
14,052
Reaction score
1,024
Surprise, surprise, surprise.
My Maxfinity plan contract is about to expires. Receive a call from Starhub today and recontracted to the new 1gbps plan. (Free 6 months subscriptions)

Guess what?
I can keep the mobile broadband plan and Starhub TV and continue to use at no extra cost.

Wow, it's really out of my expectations.
Thank You Starhub.
You made my day.

You sure you did not subscribe to homehub instead?
 

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
Yes, confirmed with them is the standalone 1 gbps plan
After free 6 months, is $49.90/mth till the 24th month.
 

frozenjw

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
214
Reaction score
13
Hi guys, I just switched to starhub 1gbps fibre and would like to check if the speed alright? Fibre just got installed today.

 

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
Doesn't look like your 1gbps is activated.
Did any Starhub Trooper came over to check for you ?
 

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
23,271
Reaction score
2,435
It may take up to 24 hours before the optimized speed is pushed to you from StarHub backend depending on the "queue" in their systems.
 
Last edited:

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
23,271
Reaction score
2,435
Last time, my 500mpbs was only optimized after 7 hours upon completion of installation.
 

frozenjw

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
214
Reaction score
13
Doesn't look like your 1gbps is activated.
Did any Starhub Trooper came over to check for you ?

What's a starhub trooper lol. One of the starhub technicians came over to install the fibre broadband.
Last time, my 500mpbs was only optimized after 7 hours upon completion of installation.

Ah I see. Thanks, I will continue to monitor the speed. What speed range should I be expecting in the speed test?
 

Hidit69

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
1
What's a starhub trooper lol. One of the starhub technicians came over to install the fibre broadband.


Ah I see. Thanks, I will continue to monitor the speed. What speed range should I be expecting in the speed test?

Did the technician check on the speed before he left? Optimal speedtest range for 1gbps is around 800mbps+++

Did you test using a LAN cable? Or you used wireless?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top