StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
7,352
Reaction score
2,745
Why starhub still use Dlink DIR868L as the main router which is a total crap and out-dated. They haven't introduce any new router as of now, keep having issue with its 5GHz Wi-Fi connection on my current Homehub 500 plan.

They should switch all their router to Asus AC68U instead, sign home hub 500/1000 give this kind of ** router, when my contract up next Jan 2017, idk should I stay with current 500 plan or upgrade to 1000.

singtel already provide free fibre speed upgrade for all those Mio bundled users of 500Mpbs to 1Gbps as of March 2016. Starhub wise nothing happen.
 
Last edited:

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
Why starhub still use Dlink DIR868L as the main router which is a total crap and out-dated. They haven't introduce any new router as of now, keep having issue with its 5GHz Wi-Fi connection on my current Homehub 500 plan.

They should switch all their router to Asus AC68U instead, sign home hub 500/1000 give this kind of ** router, when my contract up next Jan 2017, idk should I stay with current 500 plan or upgrade to 1000.

singtel already provide free fibre speed upgrade for all those Mio bundled users of 500Mpbs to 1Gbps as of March 2016. Starhub wise nothing happen.


1. which firmware are you using on the router ?
2. do you have line of sight between your device and the router ?
3. sometimes interference from your neighbour can cause disconnection, did you use wifi analyser to check which channel is less crowded ?
 

wlun228

Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2012
Messages
181
Reaction score
5
Hi guys, recently upgrade star hub 300mbps to 1gbps.

however my speed is so slow.

Star hub Speed test show 30mbps Download speed (Max I can get from the test is 60mbps)

I thought I should get at least few hundred mbps?

modem : Huawei HG8240
Router : DLink DIR-868L
Connection: Wifi

I called Starhub, ask them what's the reason and asked if they can come down to troubleshoot etc But they replied that there's charges for them to come down to check.

I'm the customer, do not get the speed that's promised by Starhub, and I have to pay for them to check?

Anyone have similar experience, or can help me on how to get a better speed?

Thanks


*** update

Just move the modem&router slightly closer to my room, and the speed did increase to roughly 200mbps +-, consider okay i guess.
Haven't got chance to test using cable yet as I'm using macbook air, will try it later on cable when I got the chance.
 
Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,210
Reaction score
17,455
Hi guys, recently upgrade star hub 300mbps to 1gbps.

however my speed is so slow.

Star hub Speed test show 30mbps Download speed (Max I can get from the test is 60mbps)

I thought I should get at least few hundred mbps?

modem : Huawei HG8240
Router : DLink DIR-868L
Connection: Wifi

I called Starhub, ask them what's the reason and asked if they can come down to troubleshoot etc But they replied that there's charges for them to come down to check.

I'm the customer, do not get the speed that's promised by Starhub, and I have to pay for them to check?

Anyone have similar experience, or can help me on how to get a better speed?

Thanks
It is impossible to get 1gbps via wifi only. It's already quite hard to get 300mbps via wifi and that's only if u use the 5Gz band.

To use 1gbps u should be using a wired Gigabit connection.
 

hk7310

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
75
Hi guys, recently upgrade star hub 300mbps to 1gbps.

however my speed is so slow.

Star hub Speed test show 30mbps Download speed (Max I can get from the test is 60mbps)

I thought I should get at least few hundred mbps?

modem : Huawei HG8240
Router : DLink DIR-868L
Connection: Wifi

I called Starhub, ask them what's the reason and asked if they can come down to troubleshoot etc But they replied that there's charges for them to come down to check.

I'm the customer, do not get the speed that's promised by Starhub, and I have to pay for them to check?

Anyone have similar experience, or can help me on how to get a better speed?

Thanks

First of all, check your direct connection by connect your computer with a cat5e or cat6 cable to your modem. Turn off modem and turn on modem, test speedtest. If 800+ to 900+, then your speed is ok.

Second, check your router with a cable speedtest as above. Connect your modem to your router, then connect your router to your computer. Test with a cat5e or cat6 cable. If the speed is between 800+ to 900+, it will then consider ok.

Lastly, test on wifi. Perhaps, there are many factors will come into play. Distance, line-of-sight, obstacles, interference and your computer wireless adapter and hardware spec, all contribute the end result.

If you are certain that it is the line problem, or the modem problem, then call Starhub for help. On this instance, they may not charge you.
 

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
Hi guys, recently upgrade star hub 300mbps to 1gbps.

however my speed is so slow.

Star hub Speed test show 30mbps Download speed (Max I can get from the test is 60mbps)

I thought I should get at least few hundred mbps?

modem : Huawei HG8240
Router : DLink DIR-868L
Connection: Wifi

I called Starhub, ask them what's the reason and asked if they can come down to troubleshoot etc But they replied that there's charges for them to come down to check.

I'm the customer, do not get the speed that's promised by Starhub, and I have to pay for them to check?

Anyone have similar experience, or can help me on how to get a better speed?

Thanks


First you need to connect a Quad core PC/laptop with Gigabit network adapter to your Huawei HG8240 modem and perform a Speedtest to check if Starhub deliver anything above 800mbps to you.

I tested with a 2 core 4 thread laptop , the most I can only achieve 700+ mbps. If I use a Quad core pc and test, I could achieve 800+ to 900+mbps.

So the PC/Laptop requirement is quite high to fully utilise 1Gbps.


Secondly for wireless, the norm is normally one third the connection speed.
Let's say if you use a 11n wifi adapter, connected at 150mbps, your speedtest achieve 50 mbps , that is considered normal

If you use a 11ac wifi adapter, connection speed is 876, the speedtest result 200+mbps, this is considered normal.

Now you understand why they want to charge you.
Pls check and post again.
 
Last edited:

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2001
Messages
6,021
Reaction score
50
Hi guys, recently upgrade star hub 300mbps to 1gbps.

however my speed is so slow.

Star hub Speed test show 30mbps Download speed (Max I can get from the test is 60mbps)

I thought I should get at least few hundred mbps?

modem : Huawei HG8240
Router : DLink DIR-868L
Connection: Wifi

I called Starhub, ask them what's the reason and asked if they can come down to troubleshoot etc But they replied that there's charges for them to come down to check.

I'm the customer, do not get the speed that's promised by Starhub, and I have to pay for them to check?

Anyone have similar experience, or can help me on how to get a better speed?

Thanks
300mbps is fibre or cable? If there is Equipment change they will come unless u declined.

Wi-Fi is not a fair test and is impossible to get 1Gbps.
I suggest u OFF Wi-Fi and connect ur laptop by a CAT 6 or CAT 5e cable and run a test again. Before doing that power down modem, router and laptop.

10mins later on modem and wait for ONLine light to be green. Then power up router 5mins later ON laptop. Remember off Wi-Fi.
Now test speed. If between 700 to 900 mbps...is normal. Ping abt 2 to 6ms.
If u get 100 or 300mbps....pls call us here again for asistance.
Your post is important to us and our next avaiable forums expert will be here to assist u again. Do note u post will be monitored for training purposes.
Thank you
 

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
14,249
Reaction score
41
U sure u sub to 1G plan and get both free or u sub to HomeHub 1G and get those 2 free?

Pure 1G is 49.90 after free 6mth and HomeHub 1G is 89.90 after free 6mth.

I seriously doubt SH will be as good as u think without u paying a price :):)
Problem with contract agreement over the phone though it's recorded. When user receive the final bill not up to expectation months later (after realizing all the hidden costs amid the "free" 6 months..) it's very hard to argue. The CSO can say the customer misunderstood the new contract terms.. :p
 

Darwinson

Banned
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
13,549
Reaction score
953
300mbps is fibre or cable? If there is Equipment change they will come unless u declined.

Wi-Fi is not a fair test and is impossible to get 1Gbps.
I suggest u OFF Wi-Fi and connect ur laptop by a CAT 6 or CAT 5e cable and run a test again. Before doing that power down modem, router and laptop.

10mins later on modem and wait for ONLine light to be green. Then power up router 5mins later ON laptop. Remember off Wi-Fi.
Now test speed. If between 700 to 900 mbps...is normal. Ping abt 2 to 6ms.
If u get 100 or 300mbps....pls call us here again for asistance.
Your post is important to us and our next avaiable forums expert will be here to assist u again. Do note u post will be monitored for training purposes.
Thank you

When will the Fibre Broadband be activated.

StarHub installation technician told my dad that the Fibre Broadband is not working yet due to my router. I came home to confirm my router is working. I frantically tried to check my internet through the newly installed Fibrebroadband modem but nothing was happening.

Went to StarHub community forum ,I realize that starhub activation takes some time. So why did the technician lied to my father and throw the blame to my perfectly normally working router. Why is he not aware that the service is not activated and why is it taking so long to activate my internet. ?
 

legaltech

Junior Member
Joined
May 8, 2016
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
First you need to connect a Quad core PC/laptop with Gigabit network adapter to your Huawei HG8240 modem and perform a Speedtest to check if Starhub deliver anything above 800mbps to you.

I tested with a 2 core 4 thread laptop , the most I can only achieve 700+ mbps. If I use a Quad core pc and test, I could achieve 800+ to 900+mbps.

So the PC/Laptop requirement is quite high to fully utilise 1Gbps.


Secondly for wireless, the norm is normally one third the connection speed.
Let's say if you use a 11n wifi adapter, connected at 150mbps, your speedtest achieve 50 mbps , that is considered normal

If you use a 11ac wifi adapter, connection speed is 876, the speedtest result 200+mbps, this is considered normal.

Now you understand why they want to charge you.
Pls check and post again.

I believe the DIR868L is based off older chipsets - it came out during the days when 802.11ac was still in draft, though I'm not sure if the later revisions of Hardware B & C (if you received either of these later models) have different specs. Have to give some "discount" in terms of the performance for 802.11ac of the 868L against newer models.

Don't forget to check if the firmware is the latest. See https://sg.mydlink.com/download for the current firmware available. Double check even if the router's Firmware Check function tells you that it's up to date.
 

legaltech

Junior Member
Joined
May 8, 2016
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the link.
Updated the firmware few days ago

Oops sorry I meant to point out to @wlun228, though personally I will usually check DLink's global repository at http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/ and DLink's US Forum for any updates that might have been released and can be used on a world wide basis...

My DIR865L's 5Ghz band on 11ac took a serious hit after the update to fix HNAP vulnerability. Few months after that, the 2.4Ghz strength is on par even with a direct line of sight. It has reached End of Life in US so I think AsiaPac soon if not already so.

ALSO, I don't know if DIR868L Rev A has reached end of life in Singapore or not, but it has in the US and Rev A for them has speed limitations on the WAN side. See: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=61100.15

All in all, we need to be aware that Starhub is not guaranteeing the performance of ANY router and they just forgot to add a footnote/link to their tagline "Superfast internet and reliable in-home Wifi".

See: http://www.starhub.com/personal/sup...quirements-for-cable-and-fibre-broadband.html. Some more say min system requirement may still vary, I think if don't have PhD to understand it after seeing will have (Permanent head Damage)...:s22:
 

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
My DIR865L's 5Ghz band on 11ac took a serious hit after the update to fix HNAP vulnerability. Few months after that, the 2.4Ghz strength is on par even with a direct line of sight. It has reached End of Life in US so I think AsiaPac soon if not already so.

Sorry, I don't follow you on this.
Your 5Ghz on 11ac took a serious hit.....then your 2.4Ghz strength is on par...........


All in all, we need to be aware that Starhub is not guaranteeing the performance of ANY router and they just forgot to add a footnote/link to their tagline "Superfast internet and reliable in-home Wifi".

ALL isp responsibility is only up to ONT.
There are too many variables to consider after ONT.


ALSO, I don't know if DIR868L Rev A has reached end of life in Singapore or not, but it has in the US and Rev A for them has speed limitations on the WAN side. See: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=61100.15

That will be very bad news.
Just RMA my brand new 4 month old router that was given to me on June this year. On the RMA paper it stated it got 3 years warranty.


See: http://www.starhub.com/personal/sup...quirements-for-cable-and-fibre-broadband.html. Some more say min system requirement may still vary, I think if don't have PhD to understand it after seeing will have (Permanent head Damage)...:s22:

This specs requirement is maybe for 500mbps or lower plan.
For 1Gbps plan, definitely cannot make it.
 

Humster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2000
Messages
23,493
Reaction score
2,643
Intermittent connection issues. Bukit Panjang, since 3.00pm. Can;t get in contact with Starhub.

Anyone else having issues?
 

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
Pls state what router?
Are you using opendns or google dns ?
If using direct ont, any issues?
 

bjornng

Master Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
2,858
Reaction score
0
hi guys,

am using homehub 500 and upgraded to an asus ac68u. initally was using the dir-868l but it's super horrible. so much more worst than singtel's modem. anyway, the ac68u is pretty good, however sometimes i experience a "lag" in connection, whereby i am connected to the wifi but there is no internet. it comes back up probably in about 30s-1min or so, sometimes even longer, depending. my other family members have also experienced this before. no issue on wired connection. using asus official firmware, but i dont think it's the latest one.

was wondering if knows how to resolve this occasion intermittent drop? thanks!
 

hk7310

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
75
hi guys,

am using homehub 500 and upgraded to an asus ac68u. initally was using the dir-868l but it's super horrible. so much more worst than singtel's modem. anyway, the ac68u is pretty good, however sometimes i experience a "lag" in connection, whereby i am connected to the wifi but there is no internet. it comes back up probably in about 30s-1min or so, sometimes even longer, depending. my other family members have also experienced this before. no issue on wired connection. using asus official firmware, but i dont think it's the latest one.

was wondering if knows how to resolve this occasion intermittent drop? thanks!

What and how horrible the DIR-868L that compare to your Asus RT-68U, in term of reliability, stability and speed.
 

bjornng

Master Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
2,858
Reaction score
0
What and how horrible the DIR-868L that compare to your Asus RT-68U, in term of reliability, stability and speed.

very unstable. even their user interface is not very friendly. connection keeps dropping. ended up getting ac68u few days later.
 

hk7310

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
75
Ahh, I see, you are on which plan? I have one, DIR-868L, at home. I don't find an connection problem, internet is stable.

Perhaps, you can elaborate the connection stability and speed changed before and after with AC68U.
 

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2001
Messages
6,021
Reaction score
50
When will the Fibre Broadband be activated.

StarHub installation technician told my dad that the Fibre Broadband is not working yet due to my router. I came home to confirm my router is working. I frantically tried to check my internet through the newly installed Fibrebroadband modem but nothing was happening.

Went to StarHub community forum ,I realize that starhub activation takes some time. So why did the technician lied to my father and throw the blame to my perfectly normally working router. Why is he not aware that the service is not activated and why is it taking so long to activate my internet. ?
well I'm not StarHub but their ppl are not all 100% tech expert...espcially when they see they are dealing with someone that dont know much.
So have been awhile should all be good now?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top