StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

d4rk5oul

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
380
Reaction score
0
no strictly speaking even my house 4 room flat if the starhub router is at the entrance the signal won't reach my mums room at the back. because the walls and bomb shelter will block the signal and eventually enough walls will totally block the signal. same theory for floors.

you need to get a repeater or access point in between and thats what i am doing now.

You probably need an access point on each floor at least

thanks for the heads-up bro.. just wondering if getting a high-tier Asus router would actually get the job done? Anyone here have any experience with Asus routers?
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
thanks for the heads-up bro.. just wondering if getting a high-tier Asus router would actually get the job done? Anyone here have any experience with Asus routers?

wireless is hit and miss affair and of course the place where you gonna place it is equally important.

if you want to buy just 1 device to get things done, ensure you could place it at the most strategic area else you gonna get more than 1 to get the job done.

no point asking if its high-tier asus or not. Higher tier will improve (be better) but there is only "how much" it could achieve.

got $ buy big house, but sting on the router... erm?
 

d4rk5oul

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
380
Reaction score
0
wireless is hit and miss affair and of course the place where you gonna place it is equally important.

if you want to buy just 1 device to get things done, ensure you could place it at the most strategic area else you gonna get more than 1 to get the job done.

no point asking if its high-tier asus or not. Higher tier will improve (be better) but there is only "how much" it could achieve.

got $ buy big house, but sting on the router... erm?

Haha just asking Bro don't get the wrong idea. Just checking out if it's possible to use a device to get things done from feedbacks, and if anyone here has similar setup which I can refer to. If not I will probably get extenders to solve tackle my concerns.

Thanks anyway! :)
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Haha just asking Bro don't get the wrong idea. Just checking out if it's possible to use a device to get things done from feedbacks, and if anyone here has similar setup which I can refer to. If not I will probably get extenders to solve tackle my concerns.

Thanks anyway! :)

Get actual access points. I will skip extenders because it 1/2 bandwidth each time it hops. Provided you do not need the speed i will advise against it
 

vrxt79

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
how's starhub fiber speed comparing to viewqwest?

- in terms of gaming
- in terms of online streaming
 

pangolin123

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
I am on Starhub's 1000Mbps Dual Broadband Plan. I can get around 700-800Mbps for my local download speed using speed test and around 430Mbps (53MB/Sec) for International download rate. I am using wired connecting directly to the Modem using Cat6 cable.
 

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
17,194
Reaction score
1,010
I am on Starhub's 1000Mbps Dual Broadband Plan. I can get around 700-800Mbps for my local download speed using speed test and around 430Mbps (53MB/Sec) for International download rate. I am using wired connecting directly to the Modem using Cat6 cable.

Your international download rate is referring to download from USA sites? How fast is your DL rate from Hong Kong? How is your Hong Kong Speed test?
 

Peach Tea

Suspended
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
12,291
Reaction score
779
I am on Starhub's 1000Mbps Dual Broadband Plan. I can get around 700-800Mbps for my local download speed using speed test and around 430Mbps (53MB/Sec) for International download rate. I am using wired connecting directly to the Modem using Cat6 cable.

HI. How you test your international speed? Peak or non peak hours?


Thanks
 

pangolin123

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Your international download rate is referring to download from USA sites? How fast is your DL rate from Hong Kong? How is your Hong Kong Speed test?

Yes, the 430Mbps speed test is from Palo Alto, California, US. Tested the HK server and I got 545Mbps download speed and 111Mbps upload speed.

HI. How you test your international speed? Peak or non peak hours?


Thanks

The international speed for USA server is mostly around 430Mbps 95% of the time. I tested the speed different part of the day and i get around 415Mbps to 435Mbps most of the time.


For those who are curious.. My international speed for

Taipei, Taiwan is 586Mbps Download and 65.38Mbps Upload
Tokyo, Japan is 341 Mbps Download and 20.93Mbps Upload
London, UK is 35.90 Mbps Download and 12.62 Mbps Upload

Again, the speed is depending on their server and other factors..
 
Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
17,194
Reaction score
1,010
Yes, the 430Mbps speed test is from Palo Alto, California, US. Tested the HK server and I got 545Mbps download speed and 111Mbps upload speed.



The international speed for USA server is mostly around 430Mbps 95% of the time. I tested the speed different part of the day and i get around 415Mbps to 435Mbps most of the time.


For those who are curious.. My international speed for

Taipei, Taiwan is 586Mbps Download and 65.38Mbps Upload
Tokyo, Japan is 341 Mbps Download and 20.93Mbps Upload
London, UK is 35.90 Mbps Download and 12.62 Mbps Upload

Again, the speed is depending on their server and other factors..

That's super fast download speed.
 

andr3wyong

Master Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2012
Messages
4,915
Reaction score
0
Yes, the 430Mbps speed test is from Palo Alto, California, US. Tested the HK server and I got 545Mbps download speed and 111Mbps upload speed.



The international speed for USA server is mostly around 430Mbps 95% of the time. I tested the speed different part of the day and i get around 415Mbps to 435Mbps most of the time.


For those who are curious.. My international speed for

Taipei, Taiwan is 586Mbps Download and 65.38Mbps Upload
Tokyo, Japan is 341 Mbps Download and 20.93Mbps Upload
London, UK is 35.90 Mbps Download and 12.62 Mbps Upload

Again, the speed is depending on their server and other factors..
Looks like more telcos are playing the speedtest proxying/caching game
 

pangolin123

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Looks like more telcos are playing the speedtest proxying/caching game

What do you mean by that ? I have tested downloading files from Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" - Cinnamon (64-bit) - Linux Mint (They have different servers).

I am gettting (Using Download Manager)

39Mb/Sec-42Mb/Sec from China Server,
40Mb/Sec-50Mb/Sec from Korea Server,
37Mb/Sec-40Mb/Sec from Taiwan Server,
Around 32Mb/sec-35Mb/Sec from USA Server, It can go up to 50Mb/Sec-60Mb/Sec depending on the timing you download from their server.
 

hangloose21

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2013
Messages
47
Reaction score
2
I am on Starhub's 1000Mbps Dual Broadband Plan. I can get around 700-800Mbps for my local download speed using speed test and around 430Mbps (53MB/Sec) for International download rate. I am using wired connecting directly to the Modem using Cat6 cable.

Yo bro,

Can advise how to connect PC direct to Modem?
Do we need RJ45 cable?
Thanks!
 

Peach Tea

Suspended
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
12,291
Reaction score
779
What do you mean by that ? I have tested downloading files from Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" - Cinnamon (64-bit) - Linux Mint (They have different servers).

I am gettting (Using Download Manager)

39Mb/Sec-42Mb/Sec from China Server,
40Mb/Sec-50Mb/Sec from Korea Server,
37Mb/Sec-40Mb/Sec from Taiwan Server,
Around 32Mb/sec-35Mb/Sec from USA Server, It can go up to 50Mb/Sec-60Mb/Sec depending on the timing you download from their server.

seriously sometime I think so fast speed for what purpose?
 

pangolin123

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Yo bro,

Can advise how to connect PC direct to Modem?
Do we need RJ45 cable?
Thanks!

I got one guy called Ayub (From Hardwarezone) to lay out the cable for me from my living room to my room by drilling a small hole throught the wall and laying out the wire. You will need either Cat5e Cables or Cat6 Cables to connect directly to the RJ45 Lan point to the router/modem.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top