StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

melvinchen

Master Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2000
Messages
4,144
Reaction score
35
Just upgraded to 1Gbps. Using same old AC-66U. But seems like cannot get any significant speed improvements. Only my Iphone6 on AC hit 270+ mbps. Is there a speed limit on N 5ghz?

You need to be on wired Ethernet to get near 1GBPS speeds.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Just upgraded to 1Gbps. Using same old AC-66U. But seems like cannot get any significant speed improvements. Only my Iphone6 on AC hit 270+ mbps. Is there a speed limit on N 5ghz?

Your Phone is the limit.

Its obvious.

Until today, still so many people don't know this.
 

luckyguitar

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
0
Very bad connectivity for the past few days.. :(

Their stability is just piss poor. The intermittent disconnection issue is back again. I will see what they come up with this time round. Seems like certain users affected and some not.

Singtel isn't prefect but definitely much more stable than Starfug.
 

melvinchen

Master Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2000
Messages
4,144
Reaction score
35
Their stability is just piss poor. The intermittent disconnection issue is back again. I will see what they come up with this time round. Seems like certain users affected and some not.

Singtel isn't prefect but definitely much more stable than Starfug.

I'm staying in Tampines will be migrating to Starhub on 28 Mar 2015 cause the homehub 200 is value for money and I'm allowed to recontract my starhub line every 12 months. I'm well aware of the intermittent technical issues concerning fiber internet, however looking at the level of support we are getting from the Helpdesk I begin to ask myself would it be better off if I stick with Singtel or sign up with My Republic instead?
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
I'm staying in Tampines will be migrating to Starhub on 28 Mar 2015 cause the homehub 200 is value for money and I'm allowed to recontract my starhub line every 12 months. I'm well aware of the intermittent technical issues concerning fiber internet, however looking at the level of support we are getting from the Helpdesk I begin to ask myself would it be better off if I stick with Singtel or sign up with My Republic instead?

IMO, Starhub is fine.

Your mileage might vary though.
 

ohmygod1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
9,991
Reaction score
24
My SH fiber only down once before those island wide one,

besides that all fine, but i guess depends luck
 

luckyguitar

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
0
I'm staying in Tampines will be migrating to Starhub on 28 Mar 2015 cause the homehub 200 is value for money and I'm allowed to recontract my starhub line every 12 months. I'm well aware of the intermittent technical issues concerning fiber internet, however looking at the level of support we are getting from the Helpdesk I begin to ask myself would it be better off if I stick with Singtel or sign up with My Republic instead?

I have used both Starhub and Singtel, the latter definitely performs better. My advice is don't switch if Singtel is stable at your end. Starhub's connection is extremely freaky.
 

pangolin123

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
i am staying at jurong west and connectivity is very stable. Rarely have any connectivity issues. i guess it depends on location..
 

sgnoveltygifts

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2014
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Just spoke to one of the starhub technical guys on the intermittent connection issue.

He mentioned that this is due to 2 issues. First, increasing amount of wifi connection in the neighborhood. Second, the DLink router even if we are given the best ( I am using the DIR 868L) is not that good. He suggested to me to get a Asus router instead.

Will getting the router fix the issue? I have been using starhub services for the past 10 years and feel that service and connection speed seems to be going downhill.
 

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
7,355
Reaction score
1
Just spoke to one of the starhub technical guys on the intermittent connection issue.

He mentioned that this is due to 2 issues. First, increasing amount of wifi connection in the neighborhood. Second, the DLink router even if we are given the best ( I am using the DIR 868L) is not that good. He suggested to me to get a Asus router instead.

Will getting the router fix the issue? I have been using starhub services for the past 10 years and feel that service and connection speed seems to be going downhill.

DIR 868L is more than enough for a HDB flat .

U need to tweak router wireless settings to get best performance .Default router settings always suck .

I too get the intermittent disconnection issue from SH recently for a few hours . Its their DNS/server side ******* it up .

No amount of good routers can amend this issue. Their technical guys are smoking you , dun believe everything those cocksters say ;).
 

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
7,355
Reaction score
1
Your Phone is the limit.

Its obvious.

Until today, still so many people don't know this.

Our current devices do not support multi MIMO wireless technology so pretty much all 5ghz up to 300-500 mbps is all gimmick (realistically ard 100mbps tested).

5ghz wall penetration is much weaker than 2.4 ghz n too.

Only advantage is channel is not as congested as 2.4ghz spectrum.
 

phayze

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2000
Messages
5,286
Reaction score
233
I can get over 50MB/s (400mbps) with wireless AC.


Our current devices do not support multi MIMO wireless technology so pretty much all 5ghz up to 300-500 mbps is all gimmick (realistically ard 100mbps tested).

5ghz wall penetration is much weaker than 2.4 ghz n too.

Only advantage is channel is not as congested as 2.4ghz spectrum.
 

ohmygod1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
9,991
Reaction score
24
DIR 868L is more than enough for a HDB flat .

U need to tweak router wireless settings to get best performance .Default router settings always suck .

I too get the intermittent disconnection issue from SH recently for a few hours . Its their DNS/server side ******* it up .

No amount of good routers can amend this issue. Their technical guys are smoking you , dun believe everything those cocksters say ;).

Have always set DNS to google one, never down b4
 

sgnoveltygifts

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2014
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
DIR 868L is more than enough for a HDB flat .

U need to tweak router wireless settings to get best performance .Default router settings always suck .

I too get the intermittent disconnection issue from SH recently for a few hours . Its their DNS/server side ******* it up .

No amount of good routers can amend this issue. Their technical guys are smoking you , dun believe everything those cocksters say ;).

thanks for the reply! can provide advice on how to configure this DNS setting please?
 
Last edited:

luckyguitar

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
0
Just spoke to one of the starhub technical guys on the intermittent connection issue.

He mentioned that this is due to 2 issues. First, increasing amount of wifi connection in the neighborhood. Second, the DLink router even if we are given the best ( I am using the DIR 868L) is not that good. He suggested to me to get a Asus router instead.

Will getting the router fix the issue? I have been using starhub services for the past 10 years and feel that service and connection speed seems to be going downhill.

As mentioned few postings above, don't let them smoke you. Starhub tech support is notoriously poor. All my devices are wired and i have the intermittent disconnection, so the issue isn't down to your wifi connections. I actually demanded to know what went wrong because the disconnections have been a regular recurrence over the past few weeks. They did told me it has something to do with their firmware updates etc etc.

I guess the worst part is that he even has the audacity to ask you to upgrade your router, this shows how incompetent their tech support staff are.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top