TFIP IBF Data Analytics

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard some of those Mid-Career courses are not very good. This one is 1.5 years for some, so it's a long commitment, Don't know if this Digipen organisation is any good.. any opinion is appreciated.

Thank you. Will check this out...

Cheers !
Career switch is a way longer commitment than just joining a 18 month program. It seems like many are more interested in the 18 month program than the 12 month program though.

y0ngie

Reaction score
Is a data analyst traineeship with one of the banks listed considered as prior work experience and immediate staff/ex-staff of one of the hosting institutions? I'm still applying for the data analyst traineeship (interview stage), and I'm not sure if its smart or stupid to give up on my traineeship to have a chance with the TFIP programme

logidiculous

Reaction score
Is a data analyst traineeship with one of the banks listed considered as prior work experience and immediate staff/ex-staff of one of the hosting institutions? I'm still applying for the data analyst traineeship (interview stage), and I'm not sure if its smart or stupid to give up on my traineeship to have a chance with the TFIP programme
why are you considering giving up your traineeship in the first place?
I would not do so if its me, like what some mentioned, seems like its not easy to get into this TFIP. Unless its your back up in case you dont get into the traineeship.

GoodBetterBest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems like the program already allocate the trainee to a particular financial institution ? So we do projects for that organisation ? And we will work for the organisation after graduation ? Any bonds ?

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems like the program already allocate the trainee to a particular financial institution ? So we do projects for that organisation ? And we will work for the organisation after graduation ? Any bonds ?
so sign up and go for interview and ask all these la.. u may not even get an interview then dont even need to think so much.

but how it works is when you sign up you already only can choose 2-3 employers of your choice. Then IBF will send your details/resume to these employers to see if they want to interview you. At the start only the employers you choose will interview you. One of the employer needs to accept you for IBF to offer you.

If all of the employers you chose reject you. Then IBF will send your details to the remaining employers, if they still have slots. But by that time most of the time is no slots already, because if you are an employer of course you rather choose someone who picked them as their first choice than someone who is a "leftover" right ? Also by then you also will be competing with much more people (all of the people who got rejected, compared to those who only choose that particular employer at the start) Unless you lucky and got people who got offered reject them. Or sometimes got employers who come on board late and wasn't listed in the choices earlier.

silentears

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
aiya just apply only la
if u make the cut then they wil invite u go do a test

then afterwards they send resume to employers
which will then they will see ur profile matches what they want or not

like that the process

DataScience

Reaction score
If anyone is serious about TFIP, better to at least take some python or basic machine learning courses before you apply. If you think about it, most candidates are going to have very similar profile in terms of non-relevant work experience and education background.

The only way to standout from the candidates is by showing your passion. And the best way to do that is by at least taking some python/ML courses. Better still, if you have worked on some data science / visualisation projects then state so in your resume.

80% of the candidates are not going to have any background, or are not motivated enough to have deliberately prepped for this. So you really standout if you can showcase your passion in the form of something tangible like courses or projects.

Here are some good recommendations (not written by me, but i agree with most of these):
https://digitalsenior.sg/data-science-courses-singapore/
Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If anyone is serious about TFIP, better to at least take some python or basic machine learning courses before you apply. If you think about it, most candidates are going to have very similar profile in terms of non-relevant work experience and education background.

The only way to standout from the candidates is by showing your passion. And the best way to do that is by at least taking some python/ML courses. Better still, if you have worked on some data science / visualisation projects then state so in your resume.

80% of the candidates are not going to have any background, or are not motivated enough to have deliberately prepped for this. So you really standout if you can showcase your passion in the form of something tangible like courses or projects.

Here are some good recommendations (not written by me, but i agree with most of theses):
Good luck everyone!
just curious do data analytics have any recognisable certification? Something like certified cybersecurity expert or something. Cause this program need to follow a certain template in their resume and we can't add in a "project" section.

AlCJKA

Reaction score
just curious do data analytics have any recognisable certification? Something like certified cybersecurity expert or something. Cause this program need to follow a certain template in their resume and we can't add in a "project" section.
Organisations like Amazon, Microsoft and Google offers their own certifications. Mainly on their own platforms like AWS big data, Azure data scientist, Microsoft Certified data analyst associate (testing mostly on PowerBI) and Google Data Analytics professional certificate (course on Coursera).

Might not be as crucial for landing a job compared to cybersecurity accreditations like CISSP, OSWP. I'm guessing its due to the nature and job scope of data analysts which is pretty much multi-disciplinary, requiring a mixture of tech and business knowledge.

DataScience

Reaction score
No, data science isn't like cybersecurity. This is because data science is still a relatively new field, and it hasn't had time to establish standards. But I think it is better this way. Because of the so called "recognised certifications" in the cybersecurity industry, the way it has been taught hasn't improved for the last decade.

Last edited:

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, data science isn't like cybersecurity. This is because data science is still a relatively new field, and it hasn't had time to establish standards. But I think it is better this way. Because of the so called "recognised certifications" in the cybersecurity industry, the way it has been taught hasn't improved for the last decade.
If anything to argue against certification, I will say that MCQ examinations alone is not a good indicator of your capabilities.

What I value more is the process of testing your capabilities via practical examinations as a way to prove that you do indeed have some basic knowledge on data analytics. Cause as a newbie without any work experience, personal projects alone mostly shows your passion to the work.

Organisations like Amazon, Microsoft and Google offers their own certifications. Mainly on their own platforms like AWS big data, Azure data scientist, Microsoft Certified data analyst associate (testing mostly on PowerBI) and Google Data Analytics professional certificate (course on Coursera).

Might not be as crucial for landing a job compared to cybersecurity accreditations like CISSP, OSWP. I'm guessing its due to the nature and job scope of data analysts which is pretty much multi-disciplinary, requiring a mixture of tech and business knowledge.
I saw the certification for AWS, azure and GCP, they are more cloud oriented and test your knowledge on the data analytics tools that they provided. If your job actually uses tools that's great, but I don't think learning data analytics is focused on how to use public cloud tools.

simon_84

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Here are some good recommendations (not written by me, but i agree with most of these):
Good luck everyone!
very good advice !

suanruey

Reaction score
so sign up and go for interview and ask all these la.. u may not even get an interview then dont even need to think so much.

but how it works is when you sign up you already only can choose 2-3 employers of your choice. Then IBF will send your details/resume to these employers to see if they want to interview you. At the start only the employers you choose will interview you. One of the employer needs to accept you for IBF to offer you.

If all of the employers you chose reject you. Then IBF will send your details to the remaining employers, if they still have slots. But by that time most of the time is no slots already, because if you are an employer of course you rather choose someone who picked them as their first choice than someone who is a "leftover" right ? Also by then you also will be competing with much more people (all of the people who got rejected, compared to those who only choose that particular employer at the start) Unless you lucky and got people who got offered reject them. Or sometimes got employers who come on board late and wasn't listed in the choices earlier.
wait. I had applied for the course, but the application page did not ask for which employers we wish to go for. Do you actually mean that we get to choose our employers after the technical assessment?

logidiculous

Reaction score
wait. I had applied for the course, but the application page did not ask for which employers we wish to go for. Do you actually mean that we get to choose our employers after the technical assessment?
very likely so. no point in choosing the FI if cant pass their technical assessment.

deadravel

Reaction score
hi. i have yet to receive any email/call after the "Your Attach and Train Programme xxx has been Successfully Submitted"

logidiculous

Reaction score
according to their timeline on their website, the technical assessment is this month. so just get prepared in case there is any last minute call up for it.

i am also wondering if they will let us know of application failure.

arcan3

Reaction score
I have also applied for this and the status is still submitted. Only my cyber security is under Evaluation...

Cereal

Reaction score
Applied for 2 as well. DA is 1st and under evaluation while another one is still Submitted.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.