The Accessories Thread

yamcancook

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2009
Messages
985
Reaction score
0
Where you guys buy your Happy Socks? Mine cost $14 a pair at the Bali Lane corner shop - Threadbare and Squirrel

I also buy Uniqlo, Renoma, Goldlion socks. All ok to me. Not very particular about them.

happy socks can buy online now. They having sale now. Free shipping to SG as well. Otherwise, fiftyfive also have. $14/pair

all my current dress socks are from hush puppies. 3 pairs for about $15. So far i buy and replace them at a 6 months cycle.
 

yamcancook

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2009
Messages
985
Reaction score
0
For all purpose use can buy Sacoor B staple silk tie. At IMM outlet is 1 for $36.

First tie you should have is a BLACK TIE. Follow by navy, burgundy, dark brown etc

Grenadines are expensive ouch. My "fun" ties are knit ties in solid colours but I just wear to office anyway.

to be honest, i have no idea why a black tie should be first. Initially i was aiming for vanda's blue honeycomb tie, now i having second thoughts, as i just realise the colour is a little too striking.

Oh well, thinking of which tie colour should i purchase for my first tie. In navy, or dark brown, or even forest green. My office doesn't need me to put on a tie, but still, it would be good if i would have one, just in case.

My shirt colours i have so far are white, sky blue, light pink, yellow, green, and more blue checks basically.. decisions.
 

PetiaC

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
0
dj_flame, could you recommend a navy tie from vandafineclothing? haha. i have initially short listed on the blue honeycomb. I trust your good taste.

for a "first tie" you are better off with a navy blue which is very dark and close to black tone.
 

yamcancook

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2009
Messages
985
Reaction score
0
for a "first tie" you are better off with a navy blue which is very dark and close to black tone.

thanks for your advice. really appreciate it.

I will head down vanda this saturday to check them out. Online pictures sometime doesn't justify the colour, at least for me.
 

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
This kind of navy is best.

file_20_1_1.jpg


aka midnight navy.
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
I think the first tie should be something which one can wear to work, and more formal occasions, but I'm not convinced that it should be ultra dark, and close to black. If so, why? There is after all, no rule that one's ties should be extremely somber, unless one is heading to a funeral.

Company culture should be a deciding factor. But I highly doubt that even the boss in the most conservative business environment locally will turn up one's eyebrows at that navy honeycombs tie.

In England, and in many parts of the States, one's suits are usually somber, and one's shirts, ties, and pocket squares are used to jazz up the outfit, which makes sense if you ask me, given the price of the suit, and that for most people, they can't buy multiple suits.

The tie with blue honeycombs is nice for a first tie, as is those with little designs like the medium blue mini paisley ...

for a "first tie" you are better off with a navy blue which is very dark and close to black tone.
 
Last edited:

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
Last thing:

Not trying to dismiss wearing navy ties, especially for a first tie, but here's something to chew on:

1) Make sure there's sufficient contrast between your tie and coat. That means, a navy tie would work best with grey suits (or suits in a darker shade/lighter shade of navy), and say, a brown tie would work with both navy and grey suits.

If you want something versatile, and can wear with both grey and navy suits, might want to rethink getting a navy tie (FIRST), unless of course, you know your wardrobe and that the tie in that shade will fit right in. If you don't mind appearing too 'matchy' with a blue shirt, blue tie, and blue blazer/suit, then fine. :)

Examples of a navy tie worn well. Note there's always a strong contrast between tie and coat:

Here's a darker tie worn well --

the-armoury-tie-prototype.jpeg


And blue on blue. This looks a little like the blue honeycombs that I have:

 
Last edited:

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
I'm a blue fanatic, will often wear blue on blue on blue (in varying shades) :o

Also, I hate having singulars of clothes, especially wardrobe basics. If I had to wear a tie, I would buy at least 2 e.g. one navy, one burgundy just because variety is the spice of life.

So if you're required to build a biz wardrobe, please invest in multiples of neckties, if just to pull off more options.
 
Last edited:

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
Yes, should have a few ties for different purposes :) I can get enough of suits, but can't get enough of ties. Good thing I don't wear Cufflinks as much so much so I don't buy as many as I do ties. Ha

I'm a blue fanatic, will often wear blue on blue on blue (in varying shades) :o

Also, I hate having singulars of clothes, especially wardrobe basics. If I had to wear a tie, I would buy at least 2 e.g. one navy, one burgundy just because variety is the spice of life.

So if you're required to build a biz wardrobe, please invest in multiples of neckties, if just to pull off more options.
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
I've got a thing for umbrellas. I keep acquiring new pieces because the wood and solid shaft really look quite something.

This is Swaine Adeney Brigg's Bark Cherry umbrella. Wood isn't polished till it's smooth. Instead, it's left raw, but coated with lacquer (I think) to bring out the shine.

Saturday's accessories:

 

jus

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2000
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
0
Interesting thread. Does anyone know where i can get a sleeve garter? I'm looking for those clip type not those rubberband type.
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
Wow. That's quite old school. For functional purposes or for the look? Check out Albert Thurston, they might have what you're looking for. Also, tails and the unexpected. If you're looking for it locally, long shot.

Interesting thread. Does anyone know where i can get a sleeve garter? I'm looking for those clip type not those rubberband type.
 

PetiaC

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
0
CF8A621A-2CD4-4E9F-84EF-75FEE67E16BD-367-00000034D4F86791_zps646e2f80.jpg


Just collected yesterday. Wearing the black knit with my new Kent Wang silver tie clip today.

90C61F88-73D9-4F38-AE1D-0CED367F6134-491-0000014C92D05E54_zps51601665.jpg
 
Last edited:

PetiaC

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
0
3850E58B-2B46-4CF2-96BC-E4AB1C6E4A59-697-000000E3F7C86518_zpsffb809af.jpg


leotern / leighton umbrella from taiwan, my edc.

I have tendency to lose umbrella this have been lost and found once already. Cost 60 at Taka duing sales. Rock solid stainless steel core, very windproof. Solid wood handle. Comes in black or navy, the only 2 color of umbrella I would carry.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top