The Contact Lenses Thread

feralslash

Reaction score
I have astigmatism. Would like to wear contacts for certain activites (soccer, diving, etc).
I should take dailies? What is the proper way to get fitted with contacts?
Warhunter keeps saying the optometrist should let u try a pair, then do checks subsequently.
I have a pair of contacts that I got from the shop when i did my specs a year back. The shop just ordered it for me based on my specs power. Didnt do any fitting. The contacts are still in my drawer (expiry 2017). So this is the wrong way?

warhunter

Reaction score
I have astigmatism. Would like to wear contacts for certain activites (soccer, diving, etc).
I should take dailies? What is the proper way to get fitted with contacts?
Warhunter keeps saying the optometrist should let u try a pair, then do checks subsequently.
I have a pair of contacts that I got from the shop when i did my specs a year back. The shop just ordered it for me based on my specs power. Didnt do any fitting. The contacts are still in my drawer (expiry 2017). So this is the wrong way?

Not just the wrong way. Its illegal for them not to do a fitting before prescribing. Contact lenses are not a one size fit all thing. It is a medical device. Improper fitting can lead to increased risk of a complications. And some of these complications are blinding.

Fittings should include observing how the lenses work on your eye through a microscope on the day of the fitting and on the day you go for an aftercare visit

ericsoon72

Reaction score
Want to get advice on getting contact lenses...

I have the following eyeglass prescription:

Right: -3.00 (Sph) -0.5 (Cyl) 165 (Axis)
Left: -2.75 (Sph) -0.5 (Cyl) 180 (Axis)

What should my contact lens prescription be?

Thanks!

deathman91

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Want to get advice on getting contact lenses...

I have the following eyeglass prescription:

What should my contact lens prescription be?

Thanks!
Should be same... IIRC only above 400 then got diff

ericsoon72

Reaction score
Should be same... IIRC only above 400 then got diff

I found an article here....

Converting the ‘cylinder’ number

2) If your glasses ‘cylinder’ number is -0.25 or -0.50

If your glasses prescription has a -0.25 under ‘cylinder’, you can just completely ignore it (and the axis) for your contact lenses. If it shows a -0.50, you can ignore it by adding an extra -0.25 to the ‘shpere’ number. For example, if the glasses prescription shows this:

Sphere Cylinder Axis
Right -5.00 -0.50 180
Left -6.25 -0.50 010

We can ignore the cylinder and axis when ordering contact lenses but we have to adjust the sphere twice. First, to compensate for ignoring the ‘cylinder’ we add an extra -0.25 to the ‘sphere’ number making them -5.25 and -6.50 for right and left eye respectively. Then we would use -5.25 and -6.50 in the vertex conversion chart above and find that our final numbers would be -5.00 and -6.00.

Since my eyeglass prescription is:

For contact lens, i should get:
Right: -3.25 (Sph)
Left: -3.00 (Sph)

Is this conversion correct?

deathman91

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If your glasses prescription has a -0.25 under ‘cylinder’, you can just completely ignore it (and the axis) for your contact lenses. If it shows a -0.50, you can ignore it by adding an extra -0.25 to the ‘shpere’ number. For example, if the glasses prescription shows this:

Sphere Cylinder Axis
Right -5.00 -0.50 180
Left -6.25 -0.50 010

We can ignore the cylinder and axis when ordering contact lenses but we have to adjust the sphere twice. First, to compensate for ignoring the ‘cylinder’ we add an extra -0.25 to the ‘sphere’ number making them -5.25 and -6.50 for right and left eye respectively. Then we would use -5.25 and -6.50 in the vertex conversion chart above and find that our final numbers would be -5.00 and -6.00.

dunno wor... why dont ask them when you buy?

or wait for warhunter expert...

LegendZenify

Reaction score
im getting the contact lens online, and only have the eye glass prescription. that's why im checking :D

Go do a fitting first if you are adamant on buying online.
Contact lenses is more than just the sphere, cylinder and axis, different lenses fit differently (due to different curvature)
SP/NP optometry school offers such fittings at a very affordable $5 and will provide you with a contact lenses prescription too.

Why base your contact lenses on your eyeglass prescription (which may not be recent, nor will it be entirely indicative of the contact lenses you should get) when you can get a fitting and prescription for $5?

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
hirocon gt free eye trial and they will let u try till find a right one for u. bought mine from them. think they gt some promo now. can check them out.

warhunter

Reaction score
im getting the contact lens online, and only have the eye glass prescription. that's why im checking :D

You wont have the full prescription anyway. by converting the spectacle prescription u will only get the power of the lenses.

A full contact lens prescription should include the brand of lenses prescribed as well as the base curve. the brand is important because an 8.6 BC in brand A is different from an 8.6 in Brand B. So go to your optometrist to find the most appropriate lens for you. there is no direct conversion from glasses to contacts and vice versa.

warhunter

Reaction score

Sphere Cylinder Axis
Right -5.00 -0.50 180
Left -6.25 -0.50 010

Since my eyeglass prescription is:

For contact lens, i should get:
Right: -3.25 (Sph)
Left: -3.00 (Sph)

Is this conversion correct?

there is no fixed rule in conversion. some people prefer with astig in their lenses as it gives clearer vision some dont find a difference. that is only the power of the lens which is not they full prescription. I cant tell you which is right for you without examining you.

philipsony

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hirocon gt free eye trial and they will let u try till find a right one for u. bought mine from them. think they gt some promo now. can check them out.

sigh... didnt know there a shop like hirocon until right after i committed and bought 1 year supply from a chain spect shop in the mall

instead of trying out all the diff brand str8 from the start
i tried out 2/3days of a b&l soft len 38 to realize it is not working for me just as per my bad experience 5 years ago

swap another brand and tried 2 weeks, decided that i think it best i try all the diff brand as i have astigmatism on my left eye, which is tricky becos toric lense always self adjust and does may not be stable. I ride a bike and i cant afford with every few blink my left eye will go "off focus"

now going through the trouble of trying other brands and the the staff not very open to me trying 1 by 1 although they still allow me, but tell me this time round they will give me all the brand to trial and make a final decision

they say other some bad customer abuse by trying one by one
i am not condemning the store but i just feel feel abit dissatisfied, i tot the right way was to try various brand right from the start

Last edited:

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
sigh... didnt know there a shop like hirocon until right after i committed and bought 1 year supply from a chain spect shop in the mall

i tried out 2/3days of a b&l soft len 38 to realize it is not working for me just as per my bad experience 5 years ago

swap another brand and tried 2 weeks, decided that i think it best i try all the diff brand as i have astigmatism on my left eye, which is tricky becos toric lense always self adjust and does may not be stable. I ride a bike and i cant afford with every few blink my left eye will go "off focus"

now going through the trouble of trying other brands and the the staff not very open to me trying 1 by 1 although they still allow me, but tell me this time round they will give me all the brand to trial and make a final decision

i am not condemning the store but i just feel feel abit dissatisfied, i tot the right way was to try various brand right from the start

yeah. think i faced similar eye fitting issues. my contact lens purchases prior hirocon were done at the neighbourhood shop that i ve been patronising. only thing bad was the fitting wasnt done properly. ended up my contact lens all expired b4 i use finish them :s13::s22::(

the staff that attended to me at hirocon told me actually i not "suitable" for contact lens, cos my brain wired for only super sharp vision :s13: since lens shift a bit w every blink i unable to get constant sharp vision tt's y i always find the vision not sharp:( i actually tried out all their available daily lens (i think there were 4 brands) till the staff assessed the best suitable, which turned out only 1 brand. hahaha. she wld have let me try other types (biweekly etc), but i just said i only want buy dailies. superb svc.

Last edited:

chm527

Reaction score
I didn't know there is a such a shop called Hirocon. Googled and saw that they offer fitting before buying. Is there any additional charges or we just need to pay for the price of the lenses? I am thinking if there are no additional charges, it is actually quite worth it to buy from them as the prices of contact lenses are almost the same across most optical shops.

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there is a such a shop called Hirocon. Googled and saw that they offer fitting before buying. Is there any additional charges or we just need to pay for the price of the lenses? I am thinking if there are no additional charges, it is actually quite worth it to buy from them as the prices of contact lenses are almost the same across most optical shops.

iirc they charge $15 for eye examination, but waived if u buy lens from them. sometimes gt promo then they give free eye examination. fitting wise i dont think gt extra fees. i only paid for my lens. think can refer to their web for details or dropby their shops n ask.

warhunter

Reaction score

They are the ones that are supposed to give u recommendations on suitable lenses. Not just let you try and see which is more comfortable. The more comfortable the lens is the more u have to be wary of a tight fit. Ask the optometrist to do a proper fitting. Letting u try all the lenses without looking at it on the eye with a microscope is malpractice

philipsony

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They are the ones that are supposed to give u recommendations on suitable lenses. Not just let you try and see which is more comfortable. The more comfortable the lens is the more u have to be wary of a tight fit. Ask the optometrist to do a proper fitting. Letting u try all the lenses without looking at it on the eye with a microscope is malpractice

I got went through those fitting test
But she made no mention of medical advise
Only keep pushing acuvue lol

philipsony

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hirocon need book appointment?
since i already bought 1 year supply from spec shop
i guess i will just pay the examination to seek hircon's consultation and advice on which lense i should swap back

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.