The Shirting Thread (with PEEKTURES)

Nurse.Vijay

Master Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
4,547
Reaction score
0
just curious, anybody know of any cmt that does a machine kind of double stitched felled seam?

even for tailors i only know of dylan that does it. I find it neater and of course less prone to human error.
 

i.curtis

Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2013
Messages
309
Reaction score
0
my kbks shirt is also double stitched felled seam. its much neater and i feel more durable?


just curious, anybody know of any cmt that does a machine kind of double stitched felled seam?

even for tailors i only know of dylan that does it. I find it neater and of course less prone to human error.
 

lee_tired_sheep

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2010
Messages
10,057
Reaction score
0
still sticking to my CT non-iron shirts. 16gbp for international shipping is is cheap if you order at least 8 shirts at a go.
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
The single-need stitching is another hallmark of a good shirt. It's actually cleaner and said to be more stress-resistant. Takes double the time, but is the standard for most good tailors.

I'll post pictures later.


just curious, anybody know of any cmt that does a machine kind of double stitched felled seam?

even for tailors i only know of dylan that does it. I find it neater and of course less prone to human error.
 
Last edited:

Azrielsc

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2004
Messages
1,786
Reaction score
19
Welcome. You're heading to Bangkok or Naples?

Both actually! :)

Btw, beside the contact details, do you have any experience in making shirt cuffs wider? Reason for asking is that I am a thick watch that I would like to wear with my shirts and the shirts that I currently own have cuffs that are too small. I either have to wear another watch or I roll up my sleeves and go casual.
 

Nurse.Vijay

Master Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
4,547
Reaction score
0
The single-need stitching is another hallmark of a good shirt. It's actually cleaner and said to be more stress-resistant. Takes double the time, but is the standard for most good tailors.

I'll post pictures later.

I understand. Many mid end tailors actually do the single needle one but they are often poorly constructed (stitch and seams not straight/parallel). Hence I rather use tailors who do the machine made double needle seams. Pls do recommend if you know of any.
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
Would love to know of shirtmakers that could do a handmake shirt in SG,

But since Italy is known for its handwork, how would the handwork of a SG or BKK tailor for a handmade shirt, if it isnt as fine or good as an italian tailor, i dont see a point of doing it?

Proudly made in Singapore. What do you think?

Hand-sewn sleeves and shoulders



Hand-sewn collar




SINGLE-needle seams (like I said, all good tailors I know do this)



Handsewn buttonholes




Even hem of the shirt is hand-rolled!


 
Last edited:

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
Would love to know of shirtmakers that could do a handmake shirt in SG,

But since Italy is known for its handwork, how would the handwork of a SG or BKK tailor for a handmade shirt, if it isnt as fine or good as an italian tailor, i dont see a point of doing it?

Bangkok tailor


img7440t.jpg


img7438h.jpg
 

PetiaC

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
0
just curious, anybody know of any cmt that does a machine kind of double stitched felled seam?

even for tailors i only know of dylan that does it. I find it neater and of course less prone to human error.

If you pay more any tailor can ask their seamtress to do it.
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
Pay more? Flat felled seams are the most basic type I think. Though you're right that the rule applies -- you pay for what you get. You want more complex stuff, the rule of thumb is that price goes up (slightly or more depends on the tailor). :D

If you pay more any tailor can ask their seamtress to do it.
 
Last edited:

PlayDough

Banned
Joined
Nov 6, 2002
Messages
17,797
Reaction score
3,262
You should join the Esquire Singapore competition. No kidding. You know your stuff.
 

Nurse.Vijay

Master Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
4,547
Reaction score
0
Pay more? Flat felled seams are the most basic type I think. Though you're right that the rule applies -- you pay for what you get. You want more complex stuff, the rule of thumb is that price goes up (slightly or more depends on the tailor). :D

If you pay more any tailor can ask their seamtress to do it.

No no no. I;m not comparing between a felled seam and those fked up seam that peninsular tailors give. I'm talking about a single needle felled seam vs a double stitched felled seam. Nothing to do with paying more. If you request, most will do the single needle one. I have tons of shirts that come with the single needle felled seam.

But my question now is which tailors or cmt services do the double stitched kind? I only know of Dylan so far. cyc might be another one. Have yet to try kbks. From the pics it seems like lai eh cmt does double as well.

Like I said I;m not disputing the quality of single needle vs double needle. But more of my own fetish, I prefer the machine made double stitched felled seam. So pls do recommend me.
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
fiak lah just when I thought I am done with exploring the tailoring scene, boysdontcryy comes along and make me want to spend money again...sibeh very the jialat. :(

Sorry. Can do it slowly :)

No no no. I;m not comparing between a felled seam and those fked up seam that peninsular tailors give. I'm talking about a single needle felled seam vs a double stitched felled seam. Nothing to do with paying more. If you request, most will do the single needle one. I have tons of shirts that come with the single needle felled seam.

But my question now is which tailors or cmt services do the double stitched kind? I only know of Dylan so far. cyc might be another one. Have yet to try kbks. From the pics it seems like lai eh cmt does double as well.

Like I said I;m not disputing the quality of single needle vs double needle. But more of my own fetish, I prefer the machine made double stitched felled seam. So pls do recommend me.

Could you post a photo of what you're talking about? Would live to recommend somebody if I know somebody who does it well, but maybe a pic will help put all of us on the same page. :)
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
You should join the Esquire Singapore competition. No kidding. You know your stuff.

I know a couple guys who are finalists, and they're good dressers. It's high honour that you think I should take part alongside them :) passion counts for a lot.
 

jonleelk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,122
Reaction score
97
Could you post a photo of what you're talking about? Would live to recommend somebody if I know somebody who does it well, but maybe a pic will help put all of us on the same page. :)

He wants something like the right.

singlevsdoubleneedleseam_zpsa85bf757.jpg
 

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
24,917
Reaction score
942
Sorry what's CMT?

Custom made tailored?

Am heading to Bangkok next week, any tailors to recommend? My friend is bringing me to Paul's Fashion but I'm not so keen on machine sewn stuff even if they are cheap (Less than 1k baht).
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top