The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

TimberOak

Reaction score
Hi!
Based on your prescription, 1.6 index would be best. It would cost you
1.6 index sync 3 pro(free upgrade) 390 w/full control(blue light filter) 70, total damage will be 460 before discount.
You could go down to
Jamco optical@katong shopping center
Eyewear optics@thomson plaza
First eyewear@East coast or @far east plaza.
It’s best to make an appt before going down and if needed, I can pm you who to look for.

Thanks Gangsterkia for the details.

I'll update you over the weekend

sevenfightclub

Reaction score
Anyone has a good optical shop with optometrist to recommend in the West area (not owndays or Lenksart)? To do prescription test, lens replacement (single vision), and also to start looking into progressive lenses. Any particular optometrist's name I should ask for?

Has anyone here tried more than one brand of progressive lenses? If so, how do they compare? What is the range of cost I should be prepared for if I were to go for progressive lenses?

Also, is it worth getting aspherical lens for SPH -0.25, -0.75, CYL -0.75, -1.00 to -1.50 (range is coz I keep getting diff reads within a week), ADD +1.50? Or will spherical do?

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone has a good optical shop with optometrist to recommend in the West area (not owndays or Lenksart)? To do prescription test, lens replacement (single vision), and also to start looking into progressive lenses. Any particular optometrist's name I should ask for?

Has anyone here tried more than one brand of progressive lenses? If so, how do they compare? What is the range of cost I should be prepared for if I were to go for progressive lenses?

Also, is it worth getting aspherical lens for SPH -0.25, -0.75, CYL -0.75, -1.00 to -1.50 (range is coz I keep getting diff reads within a week), ADD +1.50? Or will spherical do?
Hi,
Are you willing to travel further than the west? Like east or central?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just bought an Oakley frame online and will need to get prescription lenses installed.

My current Oakley frame was bought from New China Opticians, which used generic photochromic lenses that were not more than $100 back then.

I have astigmatism, and I remember the lenses for that cost significantly more than for short-sightedness.

Do you guys know of other shops that carry offbrand photochromic lenses that work well enough?

senocs

Reaction score

I can't speak for the 2nd and 3rd question, I'm also exploring progressive lens for the first time.

As for your 1st question, as I grew up in the West, here are a few shops I used to go often for my own specs and have had reasonably good experience (wider range, good customer service) :

Seng Li at Queensway Shopping
Sunny Optics at Bukit Gombak

Poohliew

Reaction score
hi GANGSTERKIA my lenes (hoya myself) chipped off by the frame (lindberg) so like that can claim warranty anot, btw i got it from eyewear optics. optometrist MR Terence in june 26 2021

"

Last edited:

sevenfightclub

Reaction score
I can't speak for the 2nd and 3rd question, I'm also exploring progressive lens for the first time.

As for your 1st question, as I grew up in the West, here are a few shops I used to go often for my own specs and have had reasonably good experience (wider range, good customer service) :

Seng Li at Queensway Shopping
Sunny Optics at Bukit Gombak

Thanks! The third question is really more for doing two single vision specs. I'm wondering whether aspheric lens will really make a difference for my prescription

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
hi GANGSTERKIA my lenes (hoya myself) chipped off by the frame (lindberg) so like that can claim warranty anot, btw i got it from eyewear optics. optometrist MR Terence in june 26 2021

"

Anyway, no worries, I checked with them alr. He will be able to assist you. I will pm you their WhatsApp number. Just snap a picture of this and send it to them.

camelbak75

Reaction score
Hi!
Nope, progressive lenses are generally for individuals with laohua(presbyopia). Unless you are using eye drops like atropine or you have weaker eye muscle or else not needed.
Jb is now priced similarly to spore, it is cheaper still but they increased from what to heard unless you go deeper into msia.
East area you go look towards
First eyewear@east coast
Jamco optical@katong
Hi
Could you PM me your recommended optician at Jamco? Thank you.
I intend to make a pair of progressive.

adrictan

Reaction score
Sounds good,
First time laohua with +2.50 presbyopia?
Or +1.00 presbyopia?
If first time and it’s already +2.50, were you wearing reading glasses prior? Or taking off your glasses to try and focus?
I've had presbyopia for a few years now but have been using only reading glasses at 175 but recently, I checked my eyes and they have increased to 250. I have 250 reading glasses but I realized with 250, I can no longer cheat and wear the reading glasses the entire day. Thus I think the best is to get Progressives done since I have 100 to see far.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I've had presbyopia for a few years now but have been using only reading glasses at 175 but recently, I checked my eyes and they have increased to 250. I have 250 reading glasses but I realized with 250, I can no longer cheat and wear the reading glasses the entire day. Thus I think the best is to get Progressives done since I have 100 to see far.
Woah that’s a reallly long delay hahah.. alright hopefully your new glasses will work fine!!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't work, where would be a good alternate place to go get another pair? I stay Kovan.
If it doesn’t work, you should go back to get it rectified… if not you be wasting your money… the practitioners should be able to help you with it.
In the event it really can’t then we can discuss again..
if not, just give it a try first!

numan108

Reaction score
Hey,
1.67 is the index of the lenses(how thin it is)
1.5,1.53(trivex),1.55,1.59(polycarbonate),
1.60(high index), 1.67, 1.74(ultra high index).
Supreme is considered a tier of the lenses.
E.g. Essilor comfort (entry)
Essilor physio(mid range)
Essilor x design(highest range)

Hoya amplitude(entry)
hoya dynamic premium(mid)
Hoya lifestyle 3(high)
Hoya myself(highest)

zeiss precision pure(entry)
Zeiss precision superb(mid)
Zeiss individual 2

I just randomly quote some examples above.
Hoya sync Pro 3 is which tier.

What price difference between single lens vs progressive.

TIA.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.