The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Optometrist

Reaction score
Roughly how much would Hoya progressive lens be? 400+ each side.

Hi!

1.60 Hoya progressive HVLL lenses ranges from $630(Basic) to $1260(Super wide angle)
You could also choose to top up for add-ons such as:
- Thinner lenses
- Sensity/ Sensity Dark

Last edited:

Sauzan

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi!

1.60 Hoya progressive HVLL lenses ranges from $630(Basic) to $1260(Super wide angle)
You could also choose to top up for add-ons such as:
- Thinner lenses
- Sensity/ Sensity Dark
Thanks!

Actually right now, I have both myopia and presbyopia. Cannot read close distance with my current spectacles (only correcting myopia) and have a headache.

Is progressive the best option? It is quite annoying to lift up my spectacles and pull my phone closer both outside and at home.

Are there other options? I haven't tried progressive before, I heard there are people who cannot get accustomed to them.

Optometrist

Reaction score
Thanks!

Actually right now, I have both myopia and presbyopia. Cannot read close distance with my current spectacles (only correcting myopia) and have a headache.

Is progressive the best option? It is quite annoying to lift up my spectacles and pull my phone closer both outside and at home.

Are there other options? I haven't tried progressive before, I heard there are people who cannot get accustomed to them.

Progressive is definitely the best option. Only question is which type of progressive lenses suits your prescription/ frame/ daily visual task & habits.

PMed link to a quick 1 min read up on the types of progressive lenses available (Basic, Premium, Office, Indoor-Hybrid, Customised) 🙏

Last edited:

ecan07

Reaction score
Usually can do till -10.00Ds for most frames leh 😅
Normal or Sports curved frame also ok
PMed

Thanks man. Saw your DM.
I have also done some research and asking around since then, it seems like for my 800+ degree and 100-200+ astig, the lens itself will like cost around 400-500 min. not including frame yet.
On the other hand, i saw that Owndays have frames going for 78 + 198 for lens. Seems like half the cost.
Need some advice here, is it worth it to get an expensive prescription sunglass which i will only wear when I'm outdoors in the sun, which is not everyday given I do wfh half the time? I can understand paying that much for a everyday specs or progressive lens, but not sure if i should just go budget Owndays for prescription sunglasses, since i'm also limited to the types of frames i can go for...

Chivas5566

Reaction score
Dear all, I wish to check if all brands of progressive lens have laser identifier marking on them? My friend cannot see any on his. Is this normal?

Optometrist

Reaction score
Dear all, I wish to check if all brands of progressive lens have laser identifier marking on them? My friend cannot see any on his. Is this normal?

Hi!
Laser engraving is present in all progressive lenses. There could be a possibility that the laser marking is too faint.

Chivas5566

Reaction score
Hi!
Laser engraving is present in all progressive lenses. There could be a possibility that the laser marking is too faint.
Thanks @Optometrist,
Will ask him to try looking harder.

Meanwhile, will appreciate any fellow progressive lens user to advise how well they can spot their progressive identifier marking. I took a while to spot it. Thanks.

Optometrist

Reaction score
Thanks @Optometrist,
Will ask him to try looking harder.

Meanwhile, will appreciate any fellow progressive lens user to advise how well they can spot their progressive identifier marking. I took a while to spot it. Thanks.

Not easy. 🤣 we have difficulties finding it at times too.

Btw, why will your friend want to see the engraving?

Chivas5566

Reaction score
Not easy. 🤣 we have difficulties finding it at times too.

Btw, why will your friend want to see the engraving
I have just gotten my progressive and told him about the engraving, so I told him to check his. He is also curious to find out how his looks like. When he could not identify his, I start to wonder if it is a industry standard to have this identifier marking for all brands.Thats why I ask here.

Optometrist

Reaction score
Hi, any reviews/comments on Mvision lens? TIA.

Hi! Mvision lenses are made in Singapore using the same machine as Zeiss.
They are the local authorised agents processing lenses for Asahi Lite & tokai.

Our side tend to use their lenses alot as they support customisation. Almost every single pair of progressive lenses for our clients are customised

libratiger74

Reaction score
I take it that it is very good then. Nothing negative about them? Could not find information about them on the net though, that's why I asked. Thanks.

Optometrist

Reaction score
I take it that it is very good then. Nothing negative about them? Could not find information about them on the net though, that's why I asked. Thanks.

They are a very traditional type of lens fabrication lab (making very good lenses, with zero marketing)
Try out their lenses If you want Zeiss/Hoya quality @ a more affordable price point (y)

Last edited:

libratiger74

Reaction score
Thanks, do you have the range of lenses and price they offer e.g. transition, progressive, what coatings etc that can be shared? TIA.

Optometrist

Reaction score
Thanks, do you have the range of lenses and price they offer e.g. transition, progressive, what coatings etc that can be shared? TIA.

I suggest you drop by the shop you saw Mvision. Not really feasible to state all the prices.

Mvision provide a pretty extensive range of lenses:

Material:
Photochromic (Transition / Photogrey)
Blue absorb (Lutina / Asahi Lite)
Blue absorb + Photochromic (Photogrey)
Polarized
Drivewear transition

Lens Coating:
Zapphire
Nano-Blue
*Mirror
*LRC (Ultra low reflection Coat)

Progressive Design:
Basic
Premium
Office
*Indoor-Hybrid
*Customized Basic
*Customized Premium

Good thing about them is i can mix & match like subway. No restriction like other bigger companies.
(E.g. Blue absorb + Photochromic for a certain range only)
Choose 1 Material, 1 Lens coating, 1 progressive design.

*Only available to selected Mvision retailers

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.