Thread all abt ROLEX - Part 2

Kyo_kusanagi86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2001
Messages
10,375
Reaction score
635
GE coming liao... You know which party to vote right?
f9ZwpZJl.jpg


Sent from Xiaomi MI 9 LITE using GAGT
 

wahjohreno

Master Member
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
3,382
Reaction score
216
Is it possible to walk into ADs like hour glass to get a submariner? Or is it like waiting list I saw mentioned for other popular models in this thread?

"Wait list" is a tactic to make the walk-in customer feel better. Give some hope rather than tell you "you wait long long".

I'm still on multiple wait lists since 2016. Wait until the flowers also drop already.

But if you're going for less desirable models like Explorers, YM, 2-tones, Milgauss...etc, you can try. But Subs are pretty desirable.
 

bryando

Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
457
Reaction score
2
GE coming liao... You know which party to vote right?
f9ZwpZJl.jpg


Sent from Xiaomi MI 9 LITE using GAGT

Isnt this already covered? Lower income gets GST rebates while the rich who drives Ferraris do not get GST rebates. Its a flawed logic; its like saying rich ppl dont buy necessities and only buy Ferraris, so just GST more on Ferraris and not on necessities. And where do you draw the line? You cannot tell me that a $150k Honda is not a luxury item when a train ride costs $1.30
Or a guy who owns 10 Honda cars pay less GST compared to a guy who owns 1 Ferrari ?
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
"Wait list" is a tactic to make the walk-in customer feel better. Give some hope rather than tell you "you wait long long".

I'm still on multiple wait lists since 2016. Wait until the flowers also drop already.

But if you're going for less desirable models like Explorers, YM, 2-tones, Milgauss...etc, you can try. But Subs are pretty desirable.

I thought some mentioned wait list is now CRM based? So min they have to key your “interest” in system? After that what they do (or don’t) do no one knows or can control la.
 

wahjohreno

Master Member
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
3,382
Reaction score
216
I thought some mentioned wait list is now CRM based? So min they have to key your “interest” in system? After that what they do (or don’t) do no one knows or can control la.

As long as demands far outstrips supply, and as long as we live in capitalist societies, the lists are irrelevant.

It’s like someone finding a wild tree in nature that grows thousand dollar bills on its branches, and chooses to walk past without plucking.

(Human) nature will find a way.
 

lovelyday11

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2020
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a Rolex Datejust 36, Oystersteel and yellow gold, fluted bezel, gold dial which costs around $15k.

After researching on some forums, I read that it is possible to ask for a discount from the ADs and couple it with mall vouchers (at a 5 - 8% discounted rate from carousell) to get the watch at the best price.

However, the several ADs I have checked with have only offered a 5% discount at most, which is rather different from the discount range mentioned in forums (around 10% - 25%). Would like to check with you guys if a 5% discount is a reasonable rate currently or is it possible to ask for more? Would appreciate any advice on negotiating the price or other tips to get the watch at a lower rate please. Thanks!
 

xaviergzy96

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2015
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a Rolex Datejust 36, Oystersteel and yellow gold, fluted bezel, gold dial which costs around $15k.

After researching on some forums, I read that it is possible to ask for a discount from the ADs and couple it with mall vouchers (at a 5 - 8% discounted rate from carousell) to get the watch at the best price.

However, the several ADs I have checked with have only offered a 5% discount at most, which is rather different from the discount range mentioned in forums (around 10% - 25%). Would like to check with you guys if a 5% discount is a reasonable rate currently or is it possible to ask for more? Would appreciate any advice on negotiating the price or other tips to get the watch at a lower rate please. Thanks!
You have to check the date of those forum discussions. Those percentages should be from ancient times.

Before 2015 you can get such rates but nowadays I guess 5 to 10% is the norm for TT watches.
 

allrise84

Suspended
Joined
Jun 21, 2020
Messages
29
Reaction score
1
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a Rolex Datejust 36, Oystersteel and yellow gold, fluted bezel, gold dial which costs around $15k.

After researching on some forums, I read that it is possible to ask for a discount from the ADs and couple it with mall vouchers (at a 5 - 8% discounted rate from carousell) to get the watch at the best price.

However, the several ADs I have checked with have only offered a 5% discount at most, which is rather different from the discount range mentioned in forums (around 10% - 25%). Would like to check with you guys if a 5% discount is a reasonable rate currently or is it possible to ask for more? Would appreciate any advice on negotiating the price or other tips to get the watch at a lower rate please. Thanks!

They willing to give u 5% is very kind of them already. Now even datejust also hard to get. For some dial.. Some only give 3%..
 

GoldLux7

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Am new here. I just wanted to find out if anyone knows what the estimated cost of servicing a vintage full gold Rolex Day-Date from the 1960-1970s? (See the link below for a photo of the watch.)

https://imgur.com/g10cNuh

Am receiving it as a gift from my uncle who got it too long ago. The condition of the watch is pretty bad as he has not worn it for quite a bit and the watch dial has some oxidization (Movement has not moved for at least 5 years as the watch has been sitting inside a safety deposit box for quite some time.)

I'm hoping to change the dial and service the watch at the Rolex Service Centre. I am expecting it to set me back maybe 1k for servicing and another 1k for the dial or is that an underestimation for a gold day-date?

Thanks for the advice or tips if any as I don't own any Rolex's but would like to keep the watch within the family.
 
Last edited:

Kyo_kusanagi86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2001
Messages
10,375
Reaction score
635
Hi all,

Am new here. I just wanted to find out if anyone knows what the estimated cost of servicing a vintage full gold Rolex Day-Date from the 1970-1980s?

Am receiving it as a gift from my uncle who got it too long ago. The condition of the watch is pretty bad as he has not worn it for quite a bit and the watch dial has some oxidization (Movement has not moved for at least 5 years as the watch has been sitting inside a safety deposit box for quite some time.)

I'm hoping to change the dial and service the watch at the Rolex Service Centre. I am expecting it to set me back maybe 1k for servicing and another 1k for the dial or is that an underestimation for a gold day-date?

Thanks for the advice or tips if any as I don't own any Rolex's but would like to keep the watch within the family.

Got picture of the actual watch? I am guessing the model is a 1803.

Yes, likely the service cost will be around $1k-ish, but is your dial a diamond dial in the first place? they may not offer you if yours is just those normal dial. Even if so, you could be looking around $2-3k for the dial upgrade alone. not really worth it.

Try looking around those chinatown pre-owned watch shops, they may offer to service and replace your dial with diamond dial at 1/4 what Rolex is charging.


Otherwise, head to ebay to hunt for your dial colour of your choice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174081770775
s-l500.jpg
 

GoldLux7

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi Kyo_kusanagi86,

I'll drop you a PM as I can't attach a photo since I am new. Hopefully, I can attach a photo there. (Nevermind, I am unable to send a PM until I hit 10 posts, perhaps if you can PM me, I can send you the photo?)

I believe the dial is gold too. No diamonds.

Cheers
 
Last edited:

Kyo_kusanagi86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2001
Messages
10,375
Reaction score
635
Hi all,

Am new here. I just wanted to find out if anyone knows what the estimated cost of servicing a vintage full gold Rolex Day-Date from the 1970-1980s? (See the link below for a photo of the watch.)

https://imgur.com/g10cNuh

Am receiving it as a gift from my uncle who got it too long ago. The condition of the watch is pretty bad as he has not worn it for quite a bit and the watch dial has some oxidization (Movement has not moved for at least 5 years as the watch has been sitting inside a safety deposit box for quite some time.)

I'm hoping to change the dial and service the watch at the Rolex Service Centre. I am expecting it to set me back maybe 1k for servicing and another 1k for the dial or is that an underestimation for a gold day-date?

Thanks for the advice or tips if any as I don't own any Rolex's but would like to keep the watch within the family.

Helping to embed the photo here.

g10cNuh.jpg

Yes, we can see the dial damage because of the tritium plots on the dial (Common issue among old watches from the 60,70,80s era watches)
I see you got the gold bracelet as well.

I think your watch looks something like this previously.

BS-W-197-Rolex-1803-grey-dial-01_1024x1024.jpg
 

GoldLux7

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Helping to embed the photo here.

g10cNuh.jpg

Yes, we can see the dial damage because of the tritium plots on the dial (Common issue among old watches from the 60,70,80s era watches)
I see you got the gold bracelet as well.

I think your watch looks something like this previously.

BS-W-197-Rolex-1803-grey-dial-01_1024x1024.jpg

Thank you Kyo_kusanagi86 for helping me embed the photo. I am not sure how to do so!

Yes, its a pity that the watch is in this condition, considering I am getting it as a kind of an "heirloom" item. I would really like to fix it up to restore it as best I can.

If anyone has any recommendations or contacts which knows how to restore a watch like this, other than the service centre, of course, I will be more than willing to take a look.

Cheers all!
 

Melvyn_

Member
Joined
May 19, 2013
Messages
191
Reaction score
1
Thank you Kyo_kusanagi86 for helping me embed the photo. I am not sure how to do so!

Yes, its a pity that the watch is in this condition, considering I am getting it as a kind of an "heirloom" item. I would really like to fix it up to restore it as best I can.

If anyone has any recommendations or contacts which knows how to restore a watch like this, other than the service centre, of course, I will be more than willing to take a look.

Cheers all!


In my opinion since its a heirloom watch then you probably shouldn't take any risk of sending it outside of Rolex right? I mean what is 2k for a heirloom watch that means a whole to you.
 

GoldLux7

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
In my opinion since its a heirloom watch then you probably shouldn't take any risk of sending it outside of Rolex right? I mean what is 2k for a heirloom watch that means a whole to you.

Totally agree with you. But after troving through the forums, I noticed that the Rolex Service Centre frequently does not accept too vintage watches and considering this watch was from the 60s or maybe 70s. They might not accept it too.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top