US help.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Mid Nov - 6Dec.
Bought my tics last week. It’s 1,350 today I just checked.

Will be spending the thanksgiving week in Anaheim with my sis over there. With domestic return air tickets soaring to $300/ea, i was thinking of taking HIghway 1 (SF-LA), then return via the Pacific Coast Highway. It will be my 1st time driving so much.

1. Is traffic really that bad during the thanksgiving week? Am planning to leave for Anaheim on Mon 21Nov, and return back to SF on Fri, 25-26Nov.

Hisashiburi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will be spending the thanksgiving week in Anaheim with my sis over there. With domestic return air tickets soaring to $300/ea, i was thinking of taking HIghway 1 (SF-LA), then return via the Pacific Coast Highway. It will be my 1st time driving so much.

1. Is traffic really that bad during the thanksgiving week? Am planning to leave for Anaheim on Mon 21Nov, and return back to SF on Fri, 25-26Nov.
Pacific coast highway is scenic but very curvy n very low speed limit.
It will take forever to get from LA to SF.

Can travel part of the way to SF on Pacific coast n then switch to the main highway.

Thanksgiving driving is ok not that crowded but airline travel is very busy.
Best not to fly during those times.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score

Can travel part of the way to SF on Pacific coast n then switch to the main highway.

thanks for the advice. Ya, figured that the airports gonna be messy during that crazy week. Since I got my sis car, might as well brave the traffic and drive.

I was hoping to check out Big Sur stretch on way back from Anaheim to SF. Rest I dun mind doing the highway 1.

Hisashiburi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. Ya, figured that the airports gonna be messy during that crazy week. Since I got my sis car, might as well brave the traffic and drive.

I was hoping to check out Big Sur stretch on way back from Anaheim to SF. Rest I dun mind doing the highway 1.
Definitely drive the part near Carmel, Monterey Big Sur.
Very scenic!

jaydentk

Reaction score
Any recommendation for SFO air bnb for a family of 4? As i will be driving, will prefer a parking option too.

gairr

Reaction score

Years ago I drove along the coast and I know I will have quite a few stops along the way for photo taking so I stayed 1 night along the way. My direction is from SF to LA.

You might want to consider stop over in Monetary Bay for a night. It's a nice place to visit. From Monetary Bay to SF along the way there's a factory outlet (San Jose area if I remember correctly) you can visit and buy as much stuff as you want.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's really too tiring and enduring to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles (or vice versa) via Pacific Coast highway.

I did that and it took me 14 hours on the road (including photo taking breaks and lunch)! Started at 8am and only reached my downtown LA hotel at 10pm. Pls remember to factor in LA traffic because its a nightmare even during non peak hours

Best town to stopover for a night is San Luis Obispo. Very nice small town with old Spanish design.

nivlac9

Reaction score
Hi, making my maiden trip to NYC for Xmas and New Year count down. 23 Dec to 10 Jan. Was thinking of driving between cities NYC - Boston + DC with a bit of sight seeing along the way. Was informed that weather might be quite hazardous during winter and its probably safer to just take a train instead. Lastly, would restaurants, cafes, shops, etc be opened during the year end or will they largely be shut?

TIA :)

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Hi, making my maiden trip to NYC for Xmas and New Year count down. 23 Dec to 10 Jan. Was thinking of driving between cities NYC - Boston + DC with a bit of sight seeing along the way. Was informed that weather might be quite hazardous during winter and its probably safer to just take a train instead. Lastly, would restaurants, cafes, shops, etc be opened during the year end or will they largely be shut?

Winter is not conducive to driving. Snow storms can turn your drive trip into a nightmare. It gets dark earlier than usual, which is havoc to sightseeing plans in the countryside. Stick to Amtrak.

Hisashiburi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

East coast usa can have massive snowstorms in winter.
If that happens, roads n rail will shut down.

Anyway, Amtrax rail is probably ok if u are going to only be in the cities.
Pls don't take the public long distance buses...for safety.

Restaurants n shops in the big cities will be open.
Christmas day itself , some places shut down or close early.
New Year is ok.
If u are going to museums check their holiday schedule first.

U can see how the weather is like before u depart nyc to Boston.
Driving between NYC n Boston is quite nice as u can stop along the way like in Connecticut n visit small towns.

If u don't care for that n don't want the hassle of finding parking and refilling gas then train is better.

OMeGa666

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Am looking around for esim options also.

Tagging along for the same question. iPhone does not support dual physical SIM, so I need eSIM for my US line.

From my research, looks like there are 4 options:
1) AT&T: US$40/30days (15GB, tethering allowed) + US$4.99 eSIM fee. eSIM activation card with a QR code will be sent to your mailing address. Scan the QR to install the eSIM ("Install cellular plan").
2) T-Mobile: US$35 Connect by TMO UNL Talk&Text w/ 12 GB Data-1 Month (tethering allowed). Activate on T-Mobile Prepaid eSIM app. eSIM fee unknown.
3) Buy from Airalo: US$26 (10GB). eSIM fee, tethering availability unknown.
4) Buy and activate eSIM from AT&T/T-Mobile at airport. My flight reaches SFO at 9am.

Which should be the best?

Last edited:

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Tagging along for the same question. iPhone does not support dual physical SIM, so I need eSIM for my US line.

1) AT&T: US$40/30days (15GB, tethering allowed) + US$4.99 eSIM fee. eSIM activation card with a QR code will be sent to your mailing address. Scan the QR to install the eSIM ("Install cellular plan").
2) T-Mobile: US$35 Connect by TMO UNL Talk&Text w/ 12 GB Data-1 Month (tethering allowed). Activate on T-Mobile Prepaid eSIM app. eSIM fee unknown.
4) Buy and activate eSIM from AT&T/T-Mobile at airport. My flight reaches SFO at 9am.

think I’ll go with the easiest setup. Airalo. 10Gb is enough for me.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Easiest option is Airalo - I’ve used it before and you can activate the package in advance so when you land in SFO, straight away you will get data access.

it doesn’t come with talktime but you can download Skype and top up US$5 to make cellular calls.

Do take note that Airalo does not have any data rollover when buying additional package. So if u want to top up data, the current package must be fully used else u will forfeit the remaining data.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Easiest option is Airalo - I’ve used it before and you can activate the package in advance so when you land in SFO, straight away you will get data access.

it doesn’t come with talktime but you can download Skype and top up US$5 to make cellular calls.

Do take note that Airalo does not have any data rollover when buying additional package. So if u want to top up data, the current package must be fully used else u will forfeit the remaining data.
In SF now, used the Airalo USD23 (after $3 welcome discount). Good T-mobile 5G coverage. I think it’s the cheapest eSim and easy to start using.

Crimsom

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am renting a car in san francisco to go on road trip to national parks.

Can I check what is required insurance?

From alamo website, the damage waiver is included but Supplementary Liability insurance (SLI) is not included.

I read on tripadvisor, seems like it says SLI is needed for international hirers.

My travel insurance would already cover liability to others.

Hisashiburi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am renting a car in san francisco to go on road trip to national parks.

Can I check what is required insurance?

From alamo website, the damage waiver is included but Supplementary Liability insurance (SLI) is not included.

I read on tripadvisor, seems like it says SLI is needed for international hirers.

My travel insurance would already cover liability to others.
If u already have the SLI coverage then u wouldn't need to buy but have to provide proof of the insurance.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.