US help.

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I probaby have one of these Friday Sat Sunday free in San Fancisco. What can I do there? Not so rush, I wont be driving.

Then perhaps some of the week nights free for the week. Any tips? First time in USA. I should land via SQ in the morning of Friday.

Thanks.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I probaby have one of these Friday Sat Sunday free in San Fancisco. What can I do there? Not so rush, I wont be driving.

Then perhaps some of the week nights free for the week. Any tips? First time in USA. I should land via SQ in the morning of Friday.

Thanks.
I won't suggest going out at night.

Plenty to do in San Francisco.

Golden Gate Bridge, the Pier 39 + Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Ghirardelli Square, etc etc etc.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks.
Yea don't suggest going out at night in usa... place is totally unsafe compared to sg.

Lombard st( that super steep street with many bends) is also in SF.

For parks, there are Presidio park and Golden gate park
Also have some beaches like Baker Beach(has nice views of Golden gate Bridge n is clothing optional).

Pacific Beach neighbourhood is nice too but mostly residential.
There is also the Haight Ashbury street famous for 1960s hippie culture.
Chinatown for chinese food.

Definitely go to Pier39.
They have lots of sea lions lying around in the waters there.
Interesting to see.

Can take boat ride to Alcatraz island a former prison but not very interesting( to me).

Haven't been back to SF in a long time but heard crime and homelessness n drug usage have increased quite a bit so pls be careful.

califonia

Reaction score
Almost 10 years since we took our kids to California. Planning a re-visit since they are much older now. I just found out car rental is so expensive and yes, many hotels actually charge exorbitant fee for car parking!

- SFO (3 night) : Pier39, Lombard, GG, Fisherman Wharf, Livermore Outlet
- Yosemite (1 night) : no idea what to expect??
- LV (1night) Just stay at Freemont instead of the strip after 7hr drive.
- Zion & Bryce Canyon (2 nights) : no idea what to expect??
- LV (2 nights) : probably enjoy the neon lights :rolleyes:
-LA ( 5 nights) : Other than Disney, St Monica beach, the rest is free&easy.

Appreciate it if anyone may advise some activities to above places 🙏. Is there anything we need to take note after such a long break? Safety wise, any states we should pay extra attention to? And lastly, any car rental portal beside Rentalcars/ booking.com to recommend?

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For rental car booking, can try kayak, Expedia, book directly from the car rental websites like hertz, Alamo, avis, etc

Need to get car insurance unless your credit card or current car insurance(if u have) already provides it.
Credit card might require u to decline the insurance provided by the car rental place.

Check car very carefully before n after returning it.
Take pics before n after including the rooftop.
Lots of damage scams by rental car companies including the big companies like hertz.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Safety wise...I dont go out at night when in usa.
Most incidents happen at night.

Some parts of LA and SF are not safe even in daytime.
Just stick to the tourist spots to be safe.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SFO 3 nights is ok and don't really need a car unless u want to drive down to Monterey/Carmel oceanside drive n that 7 mile scenic drive
Very pretty and can stay overnight there.

Yosemite
it is all nature, hiking, big trees, forests etc.
there is a big fire at yosemite and some places n exits are closed so have to plan carefully.
Can stay inside the park or nearby.
Famous for the "half dome" and the giant sequoia trees.

Yosemite to Zion/Bryce is a really long drive.
Possible to do it in one day but will be very tiring

Haven't been to Bryce/Zion but seems like they are similar to Grand Canyon, desert type structures.
Can probably do some hiking there as well
Very different from Yosemite!

Las Vegas nothing much to do other than gambling and the various shows like cirque du soleil.
But 2 nights is prob ok since it is a long drive from bryce.

LA 5 nights I feel is a bit long.
The various beach communities like Newport and Venice are interesting to visit.
Have several theme parks there other than Disney which u can consider.

califonia

Reaction score
For rental car booking, can try kayak, Expedia, book directly from the car rental websites like hertz, Alamo, avis, etc

Need to get car insurance unless your credit card or current car insurance(if u have) already provides it.
Credit card might require u to decline the insurance provided by the car rental place.

Check car very carefully before n after returning it.
Take pics before n after including the rooftop.
Lots of damage scams by rental car companies including the big companies like hertz.
Thanks. I've compared many direct car renting companies and they're more expensive than those portal which compare various brands for you. So far i found usacarrental to be the cheapest. Actually, someone just called me from this portal asking me why i have not complete my reservations. Yes, he actually call me from the US (and i thought it was a scam call)

Oh, i also noticed every company now has an option for extra coverage. It says something like covers what rental companies don't like window, tyres, under-carriage break-ins, etc. Guess i better opt-in.

califonia

Reaction score
SFO 3 nights is ok and don't really need a car unless u want to drive down to Monterey/Carmel oceanside drive n that 7 mile scenic drive
Very pretty and can stay overnight there.

Yosemite
it is all nature, hiking, big trees, forests etc.
there is a big fire at yosemite and some places n exits are closed so have to plan carefully.
Can stay inside the park or nearby.
Famous for the "half dome" and the giant sequoia trees.

Yosemite to Zion/Bryce is a really long drive.
Possible to do it in one day but will be very tiring

Haven't been to Bryce/Zion but seems like they are similar to Grand Canyon, desert type structures.
Can probably do some hiking there as well
Very different from Yosemite!

Las Vegas nothing much to do other than gambling and the various shows like cirque du soleil.
But 2 nights is prob ok since it is a long drive from bryce.

LA 5 nights I feel is a bit long.
The various beach communities like Newport and Venice are interesting to visit.
Have several theme parks there other than Disney which u can consider.
Yes, will be a long drive for me. Just hope the weather is good so i can take several breaks in between. With kids, i cannot simply plan all the sight-seeing i want. Limit them to just 1 park and 1 day shopping 😊.

IN LA, do you think i should just book an apartment for the entire 5 days or split it to 2 lodging instead?
Currently only has St Monica and Disney as planned. And thanks, will certainly check out Venice beach. Was thinking we could rent e-bike and do beachfront cycling for a day!

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, will be a long drive for me. Just hope the weather is good so i can take several breaks in between. With kids, i cannot simply plan all the sight-seeing i want. Limit them to just 1 park and 1 day shopping 😊.

IN LA, do you think i should just book an apartment for the entire 5 days or split it to 2 lodging instead?
Currently only has St Monica and Disney as planned. And thanks, will certainly check out Venice beach. Was thinking we could rent e-bike and do beachfront cycling for a day!
Do u n family like beaches?

If so maybe can rent a place near a beach with Oceanview.

If u want to minimize travel, better to have 2 separate places.
LA traffic can be really bad.

Maybe one place at Disneyland area and other place at Santa Monica.
If u are staying at Santa Monica area, can also explore the more northern towns like Santa Barbara.

With two different places, can also see different parts of Southern California.

TMBagain

Reaction score
Almost 10 years since we took our kids to California. Planning a re-visit since they are much older now. I just found out car rental is so expensive and yes, many hotels actually charge exorbitant fee for car parking!
Check out my earlier post on car rental in California. When you book Hertz on web, ensure you are from outside US with a foreign address ie SG. Insurance is included automatically whereas if you had indicated US, insurance is not and you pay a LOT more for it. This is unique to California and some states.

califonia

Reaction score
Do u n family like beaches?

If so maybe can rent a place near a beach with Oceanview.

If u want to minimize travel, better to have 2 separate places.
LA traffic can be really bad.

Maybe one place at Disneyland area and other place at Santa Monica.
If u are staying at Santa Monica area, can also explore the more northern towns like Santa Barbara.

With two different places, can also see different parts of Southern California.
I've actually book 1 in Anaheim and another near St Monica (but both car parking is not free). Just thinking if we should settle in one apartment in between these 2 areas? Wife prefer apt with full kitchen so perhaps a little cooking or bbq before we return home. You made a good point about traffics in LA.

Hotels along the beach can be very expensive.

califonia

Reaction score
Check out my earlier post on car rental in California. When you book Hertz on web, ensure you are from outside US with a foreign address ie SG. Insurance is included automatically whereas if you had indicated US, insurance is not and you pay a LOT more for it. This is unique to California and some states.
Have checked with Hertz, they are still very Ex for the same cat.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've actually book 1 in Anaheim and another near St Monica (but both car parking is not free). Just thinking if we should settle in one apartment in between these 2 areas? Wife prefer apt with full kitchen so perhaps a little cooking or bbq before we return home. You made a good point about traffics in LA.

Hotels along the beach can be very expensive.
Ya in between is not bad.

Recommend Trader Joe's supermarket.
The items are cheap and tasty.
Their frozen food are really good!
Just need to heat up or easy stir fry.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I don't drive in US, better off joining tour group? Looking at East Coast

East coast is not bad if u don't drive actually and if u just stick to the cities.

NYC, Boston, DC are all OK without car.

Even Florida is ok if u just go to say Miami and Orlando.

But if u want to go out of the city to see the mountains or to Niagara Falls then ya... need a car or join a local city tour group.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I don't drive in US, better off joining tour group? Looking at East Coast
East coast is huge!
Certain north east cities u can travel with train or metro. Did DC, Boston, Philly, Niagara, Toronto, Montreal, NYC with just public transport but in like 20 days. Still I felt I missed out a lot of places up there

outside north east it’s best u have car.
Orlando imho need car unless u want to stick with theme parks. Makan in park’s expensive but save time. I drive in both occasions in Orlando and Miami. I visited Singapore consulate in Miami that place no public transport, the Cubian I go makan maybe has bus but I don’t see tourist there.

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone tried roadtrip from NYC to Toronto ?
Thru maine/niagra fall?

Is my 4 trip to NYC but i will be going to toronto to visit a relative for wanted a road trip there

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone tried roadtrip from NYC to Toronto ?
Thru maine/niagra fall?

Is my 4 trip to NYC but i will be going to toronto to visit a relative for wanted a road trip there
Maine is really far from Toronto/Niagara Falls though.

If u haven't been to Niagara Falls, would be worth a trip there.
Leave early in the morning, get there in the afternoon , look around n then go to Toronto.

If u want a detour on the way back, can drive up to Ottawa/Montreal n then back to NYC
Montreal is not bad, frenchie type place.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.