I went to queue at 10 Apr, one day before the report.
TL DR: I waited from 7am and was done by 11am on the same day. Collection on another day.
To give you some idea of what to do.
Pre-Application:
1. Fill up the application form at
https://cova.cs.mfa.gov.cn.
a. For work should be M-Visa
b. Alot of things to fill up, will take some time, especially your Chinese counter party who invited you
c. You may be able to book a slot if well in advance (around 2-3 weeks), though I notice the wait is similar too but it's confirmed on that day you can apply.
2. Prepare a copy of
a. Application form - MUST print out
b. Invitation letter from China side
c. passport copy
d. passport photo (if photo in application form clear enough then don't need)
e. original passport
f. If non-Singapore residency then have residence permit too
g. COVID vaccination certificate (though they didn't check)
Application Day:
1. Go down early to 80 Robinson Road (Centre opens at 9 but I arrived at 7am and there's 20+ ppl in front)
2. Wait at downstairs at Walk-in queue or Appt queue depending if you have appt
3. At around 8:30am, their staff will come down to give pink slip ask you come back at 10, 10:30am to directly go upstairs 16th floor. I was in walk-in queue so not sure if the appt queue get to go up immediately or not. You can choose to continue to queue or go breakfast (i went breakfast because need toilet break).
4. When return to 16th floor at stipulated time, they will check if you have all the documents printed and ready, if yes then go queue at front counter to get queue number.
5. Get queue number, wait for counter, they will collect your passport and documents and tell you your extent of visa and if you want express or normal service.
6. Pay at payment counter (also queue). I chose normal service but because walk-in +$60. So ended up I paid around $157. Express service for me at that time was only half a day earlier so no point.
Collection Day:
1. For my normal service, I applied on Monday and able to collect on Thursday.
2. Went to collection counter at 16th floor straight, if no queue then it's a 5 min thing. Your visa will be in your passport.
Hope this helps.