Wechat wallet

mngedo

Reaction score
Do I need to “preserve” the China mobile number that is linked to my Bank card?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do I need to “preserve” the China mobile number that is linked to my Bank card?

Yes if you want to use it long term.

I am paying RMB18 per month to maintain my China Mobile number.

The mobile is also very useful for China app usages.

goh5560

Reaction score
The PC version that use to be able to accept transfer is not working anymore, can anyone confirm?

ahyeo

Reaction score
Just read this article that it is possible to use transferwise to send money to Alipay users.

Anyone tried this before? What are the rates like?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just read this article that it is possible to use transferwise to send money to Alipay users.
Anyone tried this before? What are the rates like?
This is quite new and not so sure if there are people using it or not.

Rough rates are listed on their website.

https://transferwise.com/us/blog/new...o-alipay-users

mi2aKhf.jpg

Last edited:

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Managed to link my dbs card to WeChat wallet. Don't know if can use in china. Can't test right now.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Managed to link my dbs card to WeChat wallet. Don't know if can use in china. Can't test right now.

It will be of limited usage. Most importantly you can not pay street vendor and you will not be able to top up by receiving transfer or red packet. But you may be able to pay certain services. You may be able to pay apps subscription as well.

You can test as well here in Singapore by paying for apps subscription, for example, try one month VIP of QQ Music, etc.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It will be of limited usage. Most importantly you can not pay street vendor and you will not be able to top up by receiving transfer or red packet. But you may be able to pay certain services. You may be able to pay apps subscription as well.

You can test as well here in Singapore by paying for apps subscription, for example, try one month VIP of QQ Music, etc.

Ok thanks. Disappointing

lasnoblur

Master Member
Reaction score

Managed to link my master and visa cards to wechat pay.

For all china merchants big or small we will only know whether the transaction is approved after we tried right?

Higher probability in malls and restaurants for international cards to work this I understand.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Managed to link my master and visa cards to wechat pay.

For all china merchants big or small we will only know whether the transaction is approved after we tried right?

Higher probability in malls and restaurants for international cards to work this I understand.

Visa/Master Credit card payment: no issues with more tourist oriented holes or shops in big cities. Limited usage in smaller cities or smaller shops. Not for street vendors.

UnionPay credit card: higher chance of acceptance in bigger shops across China, not for street vendors

Wechat Pay without link to China bank card: limited usages, not possible to top up, transfer or red packets, not able to pay street vendors.

Alipay Tour Pass: can be used to pay street vendors, but with many other restrictions.

Cash: still okay for street vendors.

Workaround: 3rd party top up services for Alipay or Wechat Pay

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommend 3rd party service? Cant find anyone selling on Carousell now. I am looking for alipay top up

Sorry no idea as I do not use them. In the Alipay thread you can pm those who tried the services.

lasnoblur

Master Member
Reaction score
This 2 same ?
Wechat Pay linked to visa/master but not China cards and accounts.

Visa/Master Credit card payment: no issues with more tourist oriented holes or shops in big cities. Limited usage in smaller cities or smaller shops. Not for street vendors.

Wechat Pay without link to China bank card: limited usages, not possible to top up, transfer or red packets, not able to pay street vendors.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This 2 same ?
Wechat Pay linked to visa/master but not China cards and accounts.

Not the same. But basically Wechat Pay linked to foreign Visa/Master card has very limited use cases in China, like ride hailing and train booking, etc.

Edit to add:
A few users have also reported success in paying for VIP subscription of apps.

Last edited:

tayez80

Reaction score
Are we still able to top up wechat wallet via third party? I try 2 but they say cannot due to china policy.

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm also looking for ways to top up my WeChat pay wallet. I have send cash inside do it's active. Open to third party platform with a charge. Anyone has a lobang?

I tried fomo pay and they said this service is no longer available.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.