Where to tailor clothes, continued...

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Wah,

for cutting room, fr $229 for Trousers isn't THAAAAAT expensive also
No high-end tailor is not expensive....then again, if its not expensive, high-end tailors will be swarmed with work and the quality or care for each item will suffer
 

deokiejisoo

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2023
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
906
My personal view, you don’t have to agree,

I find the factory or workshop shirt making in Southeast Asia not that good, slightly better in Bangkok. Maybe those Italian luxury brands like Zegna, Canali, did not outsource to Southeast Asia factories, so they didn’t learn from the best. The Chinese factories got orders from Italian, French and US luxury brands for a long time and the shirt making standards are much higher.

if you have the time to visit a proper tailor in major Chinese cities, take a look at the workmanship of the shirts.

I am still thinking whether should I reveal the details of the workshops in my next guide on Chinese tailoring.

some local tailors have supply chain from China, e.g made suits, Qmenswear, red dot bespoke, you can see some suits and shirts with Chinese characteristics

If you are talking about factory it's not a big deal or even secret? Been to JYY, Sharmoon and some other suiting factories or JS sunshine even for shirts. Some in India as well. Nothing much to reveal even if you have Malaysia or Mauritius factory insider info. Don't think anyone in this forum will use those information you reveal or not for any purpose.
 

Firesage

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
2
I think it's important to remember that tailoring is a long term relationship. If you're just looking to try 'one time', you'd have to manage your expectations accordingly.

Of course, by going to a high-end tailor, your overall experience and the end product you get should be better than what you will typically get from a budget-friendly one. However, if you are unable to build a good relationship and understanding with him, chances are that you'll come out feeling that the premium you paid is not really delivering a proportionate increase in value.
This is fair. I did read one of the comments which mentioned that subsequent tailored clothes (at the same tailor) will be better than the first.

My motivation is primarily to 'try once' like you said - for the experience as well as assumed quality that should come along with it. That being said, I am open to slowly changing my wardrobe as well if i find that its significantly better than my mix of OTR shirts/pants right now.

Currently considering Dylan, TCR and Kayjen based on the recommendations.
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
I think it's important to remember that tailoring is a long term relationship. If you're just looking to try 'one time', you'd have to manage your expectations accordingly.

Of course, by going to a high-end tailor, your overall experience and the end product you get should be better than what you will typically get from a budget-friendly one. However, if you are unable to build a good relationship and understanding with him, chances are that you'll come out feeling that the premium you paid is not really delivering a proportionate increase in value.

i agree, that staying with a tailor and building the relationship is important. The other thing is for high-end tailoring, besides having a superior fit, do you know or can tell the difference in terms of construction quality and handmade features? Most people who tailor probably don't know what is a milanese buttonhole or gusset for shirts. I know people in the finance industry who wear a suit every day, fussy about their suits and they asked me why there are marks behind a lapel. These are pad stitches. Generally, the more handwork like claw sewn with shank MOP buttons, misaligned/offset sleeve and shirt seams, single needle stitching, handset collars, 28 stitches per 3cm, gusset, removable collar stays, placket end triangle, the better the quality, the more expensive for the labour cost to make due to handsewn rather than machine sewn. So for high-end, besides a superior fit, there should be superior comfort and the shirt is built to last.
 
Last edited:

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
If you are talking about factory it's not a big deal or even secret? Been to JYY, Sharmoon and some other suiting factories or JS sunshine even for shirts. Some in India as well. Nothing much to reveal even if you have Malaysia or Mauritius factory insider info. Don't think anyone in this forum will use those information you reveal or not for any purpose.
i think you missed the point. These are MTM factories with low amount of handwork. A dime a dozen. I myself, don't use them, so I don't see I would recommend them either. if I do include any workshop for a consumer, the quality must be high-end, price low, and factory or workshop willing to do B2C business.
 

spectrearc

Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
290
Reaction score
25
anyone made suit at Lai En recently?

else anyone has any recommendations? Realised idk where all my matching pants went liao, need do one set for presentations and stuff..
 

TTFUUU

Senior Member
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
2,331
Reaction score
220
Anyone tried making suits and shirts in Batam or malaysia ? Any recommendations
 
Last edited:

yksrel

Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2014
Messages
172
Reaction score
3
Put on some weights - any idea if tailored suits can be easily altered to fit bigger?

Any suggestions on where to do it in Singapore?
Is it worth altering them or should I just get a new suit?

Appreciate any input. Thanks!
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Put on some weights - any idea if tailored suits can be easily altered to fit bigger?

Any suggestions on where to do it in Singapore?
Is it worth altering them or should I just get a new suit?

Appreciate any input. Thanks!
Within 5 kg can easily alter, especially if you are tall and the addition weight spreads evenly.

Where to do it? Since your suit was tailored, find the original tailor. If relationship is good, may alter for free.

If your suit is a Loro Piana, Zegna or Scabal, of course alter make more sense. If yours is a polyester suit, then make new suit will make more sense. Really depends on how much the alterations will cost vis making a new suit of same quality and fabric.
 

yksrel

Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2014
Messages
172
Reaction score
3
Thank you! I appreciate you always giving good advice in this thread.

Suits were VBC, and I got most of them tailored in Hong Kong during my early tailoring years. I think one of them was done with HST when they were still in Tanjong Katong iirc. I'll check them out again! :D

Do you have recommendations for tailors in SG or regionally that I can check out now?
 

Ryliru

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
My workplace is mandating 5 days back in office (hope the Govt cracks down come year end, but anyway...), so I am in need of trousers. I am unfortunately a bit too slender for RTW to work without extensive alterations.

Any affordable recommendations on where I can copy my existing trousers with different fabric options? I vaguely recall names like Lai En and Sze Sze but it's been too long and I don't know what is what anymore.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top