Where to tailor clothes, continued...

morkutao

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
2,283
Reaction score
6
hi all,

any tailor in the west or recommendations?

personally owning both made to measure seah im vivo tailor and lai en.

looking for the same as above.
 

Moratia

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
219
Reaction score
62
I've washed my linen trousers in the washing machine for years, never faced shrinkage iirc
 

thingonbanch

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
11
Reaction score
3
is seamless bespoke still quality?
Hi I've commissioned a two piece suit late last year as well as shirts and chinos. In my opinion they provide really good value for the price they charge, with Faith handling most of the tailoring appointments.

In my many visits, they have always had no issues with multiple alterations, even if it is due to issues outside their control. I had fluctuated a lot in my weight but they had no hesitation suggesting areas they can alter the fit if I wanted.
 

nedenow

Member
Joined
May 22, 2012
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
Hi I've commissioned a two piece suit late last year as well as shirts and chinos. In my opinion they provide really good value for the price they charge, with Faith handling most of the tailoring appointments.

In my many visits, they have always had no issues with multiple alterations, even if it is due to issues outside their control. I had fluctuated a lot in my weight but they had no hesitation suggesting areas they can alter the fit if I wanted.
good to know. i tot it was Ryan who handles the tailor, but my past commissions was some time back
 

thingonbanch

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
11
Reaction score
3
good to know. i tot it was Ryan who handles the tailor, but my past commissions was some time back
I'm not sure if Ryan is still involved in the day to day running of the business, as I haven't seen him on premises. There have been rumors as to why that may be the case in previous iterations of this thread in case you are kaypoh but I didnt dare ask during my visits haha

FYI, the tailoring price list on their website is still accurate despite having stayed the same for quite awhile.
 

yang_nastyman

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
2,437
Reaction score
211
I'm not sure if Ryan is still involved in the day to day running of the business, as I haven't seen him on premises. There have been rumors as to why that may be the case in previous iterations of this thread in case you are kaypoh but I didnt dare ask during my visits haha

FYI, the tailoring price list on their website is still accurate despite having stayed the same for quite awhile.
please share the rumors
i used to go to Seamless prior to covid, Ryan was still there
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Try my luck again, anyone knows a tailor who can tailor batik tulis fabric into shirts?
 

GloveK8

Master Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
4,661
Reaction score
227
Hi guys, need some help here. I used to tailor suits pre covid, but now have gained weight/bulked up from gym, can't fit into them.

Was just asked to go on a work trip end of March, i think for my current role, probably will need suit 2 or 3 times a year only.

I am thinking to get a suit from Benjamin Barker for the time being, but i have short arms, just wondering if you guys have any recommendation to alter the jacket length? Saw some recommendations like Clancy?

Or any other recommendation to get OTR suits?
 

Moratia

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
219
Reaction score
62
Hi guys, need some help here. I used to tailor suits pre covid, but now have gained weight/bulked up from gym, can't fit into them.

Was just asked to go on a work trip end of March, i think for my current role, probably will need suit 2 or 3 times a year only.

I am thinking to get a suit from Benjamin Barker for the time being, but i have short arms, just wondering if you guys have any recommendation to alter the jacket length? Saw some recommendations like Clancy?

Or any other recommendation to get OTR suits?
Would suggest you ask a tailor what kinda jacket sleeve can alter from the cuffs what kind only can alter from the shoulder. If the cuff don’t have don’t have that much excess, your alteration might be quite ex
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Hi guys, need some help here. I used to tailor suits pre covid, but now have gained weight/bulked up from gym, can't fit into them.

Was just asked to go on a work trip end of March, i think for my current role, probably will need suit 2 or 3 times a year only.

I am thinking to get a suit from Benjamin Barker for the time being, but i have short arms, just wondering if you guys have any recommendation to alter the jacket length? Saw some recommendations like Clancy?

Or any other recommendation to get OTR suits?
If the sleeve has functional cuffs, ie those that can open, alterations is limited as you cannot cut much from the cuffs without cutting away the buttons, buttonholes etc

Alterations from the shoulder will be challenging and may not be possible unless the RTW left a lot of excess fabrics at the seams, which for cost reason, is unlikely. This is because the width of shoulder is normally widest nearer to shoulder, so cutting off will mean attaching a sleeve with bicep width to fit the shoulder armscye
 

pixel0

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all, would love to hear your opinions.

I am looking to get 2 bespoke wedding suits. Decided to go this route as I have a wide shoulder and slim waist, but also not very tall, and most OTR outfits do not fit me. Some context as well, I did with red dot bespoke and suit commune polyester suits before when I was younger, but their style, fabrics, and construction are not to my preferences currently. Looking to go for something more mid-high end range for the wedding.

I prefer:
- italian style suit
- minimum or no shoulder pads and lining
- unconstructed (no canvassing), NOT FUSED
- wide lapels
- high waisted pants (ghurkas are nice)
- +-1k to 2.2k per suit
- Italian or english fabrics (I have seen and touched a few fabrics from loro piana, huddersfield, VBC, and paladino)
- Looking for 1 wool (ok w blends), and 1 bamboo (probably only huddersfield have it from my understanding)

I have narrowed the tailors down to the following.

- Assemble
- Madesuits
- Kayjen

Anyone who with experience with these tailors, would appreciate your opinions and thoughts. Am also open to checking out other tailors if they meet my preferences.
 
Last edited:

Moratia

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
219
Reaction score
62
Hi all, would love to hear your opinions.

I am looking to get 2 bespoke wedding suits. Decided to go this route as I have a wide shoulder and slim waist, but also not very tall, and most OTR outfits do not fit me. Some context as well, I did with red dot bespoke and suit commune polyester suits before when I was younger, but their style, fabrics, and construction are not to my preferences currently. Looking to go for something more mid-high end range for the wedding.

I prefer:
- italian style suit
- minimum or no shoulder pads and lining
- unconstructed (no canvassing), NOT FUSED
- wide lapels
- high waisted pants (ghurkas are nice)
- +-1k to 2.2k per suit
- Italian or english fabrics (I have seen and touched a few fabrics from loro piana, huddersfield, VBC, and paladino)
- Looking for 1 wool (ok w blends), and 1 bamboo (probably only huddersfield have it from my understanding)

I have narrowed the tailors down to the following.

- Assemble
- Madesuits
- Kayjen

Anyone who with experience with these tailors, would appreciate your opinions and thoughts. Am also open to checking out other tailors if they meet my preferences.

Partner had a suit made with Assemble post circuit breaker with their discount. Very pleasing experience. They didn’t recommend a huddersfield bamboo suit then because of how the fabric drapes.
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Hi all, would love to hear your opinions.

I am looking to get 2 bespoke wedding suits. Decided to go this route as I have a wide shoulder and slim waist, but also not very tall, and most OTR outfits do not fit me. Some context as well, I did with red dot bespoke and suit commune polyester suits before when I was younger, but their style, fabrics, and construction are not to my preferences currently. Looking to go for something more mid-high end range for the wedding.

I prefer:
- italian style suit
- minimum or no shoulder pads and lining
- unconstructed (no canvassing), NOT FUSED
- wide lapels
- high waisted pants (ghurkas are nice)
- +-1k to 2.2k per suit
- Italian or english fabrics (I have seen and touched a few fabrics from loro piana, huddersfield, VBC, and paladino)
- Looking for 1 wool (ok w blends), and 1 bamboo (probably only huddersfield have it from my understanding)

I have narrowed the tailors down to the following.

- Assemble
- Madesuits
- Kayjen

Anyone who with experience with these tailors, would appreciate your opinions and thoughts. Am also open to checking out other tailors if they meet my preferences.
No comments on tailors.They all have their pros and cons in comparison to one another.

Besides Huddersfield, Dormeuil also sells wool, bamboo, silk, linen fabric. However, I think only Huddersfield makes 100% bamboo Fabric.
Red dot bespoke has changed their workshop , likely to a Chinese one, so I think construction should be better in terms of more hand work stuff.However, they are still budget MTM with limited fabric choices.
Huddersfield bamboo III is a jacketing fabric…not a suiting fabric.
Unless your wedding is outdoors or beach type, unconstructed suit may be too casual for an indoor banquet.
Italian style also has northern and southern Italy differences in construction and style. Of the 3 tailors mentioned, I would think Made suit has house cut of the Roman or Neapolitan style matching your needs better. That doesn’t mean Assemble or Kayjen cannot do it, just that it isn’t their advertised house cut

based on your requirements for Italian or English fabrics and style, be prepared to pay at least $1500 per suit
 

Baggio10

Senior Member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
1,868
Reaction score
7
Hi all, I need to alter my suit and pants to a more fitting cut. Any good shops to recommend?
Previously, someone recommended a shop at far east but I can’t remember the name.

thank you.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top